Is there a major design flaw in the new Royal Class ships

Moray Firth Cruiser

But are those the mini-suites whose balconies can't be used while ship is at sea?

Yes, they can. Several people who have stayed in those forward mini-suites posted that there are NO restrictions at sea. They love those cabins.

I would dispute that it is a "design flaw". It is more of a design choice. The stairs are there. The choice was made to not finish them and to leave them for the crew's use. I would expect that the decision to not finish them was not made in a vacuum... in retrospect, probably a poor decision.

So does anyone know if they have decided to finish the stairs for passenger use on the Regal. Or if they will fix this problem on the Royal, it should be an easy fix.

I hate to use the elevator because on the last two cruises, towards the end of each, I got an upper respiratory infection. In one case, a few days earlier someone had coughed directly into my face. I just think using the stairs is more sanitary. I can always wash my hands after using the handrail, but on an elevator I can't escape someone coughing and if I need to cough, I hate to do it in such close quarters even though of course I would cover my mouth (unlike the incredibly clueless person who caused me to be sick for nearly 2 months...this won't stop me from cruising because it could have happened anywhere, but I don't think I will cruise on Royal or Regal).

So does anyone know if they have decided to finish the stairs for passenger use on the Regal. Or if they will fix this problem on the Royal, it should be an easy fix.

I hate to use the elevator because on the last two cruises, towards the end of each, I got an upper respiratory infection. In one case, a few days earlier someone had coughed directly into my face. I just think using the stairs is more sanitary. I can always wash my hands after using the handrail, but on an elevator I can't escape someone coughing and if I need to cough, I hate to do it in such close quarters even though of course I would cover my mouth (unlike the incredibly clueless person who caused me to be sick for nearly 2 months...this won't stop me from cruising because it could have happened anywhere, but I don't think I will cruise on Royal or Regal).

There are stairs, just not in the center of the ship.

There are forward stairs and aft stairs.

Choose a cabin that is towards the forward or aft (can still be somewhat in the middle , just towards either one) and you won't have a problem.

Forewarned is forearmed.

But are those the mini-suites whose balconies can't be used while ship is at sea?

Yes, they can. Several people who have stayed in those forward mini-suites posted that there are NO restrictions at sea. They love those cabins.

Hmmm.... The only forward facing mini-suites on the Royal are on the Marina and Lido decks. If you go to the Princess website, Royal's deck plans, and check any of these mini-suites you get the following "special note":

"BALC ACCESS LIMITED WHILE SHIP IS AT SEAPART" (sic, should be SEAPORT)

If you also check the forward facing deluxe balcony cabins there you get the following "special note":

BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

So either CI66774 or Princess is incorrect... :confused:

Hmmm.... The only forward facing mini-suites on the Royal are on the Marina and Lido decks. If you go to the Princess website, Royal's deck plans, and check any of these mini-suites you get the following "special note":

"BALC ACCESS LIMITED WHILE SHIP IS AT SEAPART" (sic, should be SEAPORT)

If you also check the forward facing deluxe balcony cabins there you get the following "special note":

BALCONY ACCESS WHEN IN PORT ONLY

So either CI66774 or Princess is incorrect... :confused:

That's what I understood about them and it would be a deal-breaker for me!

I would dispute that it is a "design flaw". It is more of a design choice. The stairs are there. The choice was made to not finish them and to leave them for the crew's use. I would expect that the decision to not finish them was not made in a vacuum... in retrospect, probably a poor decision.

Based on posts on other threads, it was a decision to save $$$ when the cost of the ship was over budget.

Now that is a big design flaw.

I guess we were never in a hurry because it just became a joke.

Those "tiny tubes of terror" as another poster said.

We always laughed that we weren't quite sure where we were going.

Based on posts on other threads, it was a decision to save $$$ when the cost of the ship was over budget.

Maybe so, but the middle staircase was missing from the deckplans when they were first announced... That makes it seem that it was the plan all along to save money by not finishing them. :confused:

As stated the Princess website has a warning on these forward facing cabins that they are not accessible when the ship is at sea.

Thus if you book one there is a good chance you could be locked off the balcony, and there really would not be anything the passenger could do/say about it because its clearly noted. I believe this same issue is on the Sapphire/Diamond. Not a chance I would be willing to take. :(

While those forward balcony cabins have been used on sea days in the Caribbean (family member has sailed in one) the website does warn that if you book this category you may not be able to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I had a midship cabin (2 doors from elevator lobby), and the response time was adequate for me. I did a review and mentioned that except for embarkation, the response was overall better than some hotels I'd stayed in. Like the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale beach the night before the cruise. LONG elevator wait in that hotel ...

In a hotel, I don't specify that I need a room by the stairs. So knowing there were no midship public stairs by the cabin I selected on the Royal didn't bother me in the least. I was able to get an extended balcony by staying midship. I felt that My room and location were great.

I did have one time when a few of us were stuck in an elevator between floors. Luckily other passengers pried the doors open for us. I reported it, and Guest services quickly took it out of service for maintenance. I was in same elevator a few days later with no problem.

This is just my experience, on my sailing It is not to discredit anyone else's experience. For instance, do some cruisers experience more elevator response issues when the ship may be packed with more kids, like Spring Break or Holidays? Just a thought.

I loved the Royal, would sail her again!

The answer is probably no fix for the central stairs as Britannia deckplans don't have them and she is not in service until next year.

I was onboard Royal Princess for a four hour Bon Voyage Experience.

Maybe some people don't care about the inexplicable absence of a central staircase, but there's no denying those elevators are absurdly tiny. People circle like vultures waiting for one to come because on the off chance it isn't already full it certainly will not hold all of the people waiting to board. It's a very inefficient design and seems like a major oversight.

I don't know if it gets better after embarkation day but from what i saw it was pretty flawed.

I was onboard Royal Princess for a four hour Bon Voyage Experience.

Maybe some people don't care about the inexplicable absence of a central staircase, but there's no denying those elevators are absurdly tiny. People circle like vultures waiting for one to come because on the off chance it isn't already full it certainly will not hold all of the people waiting to board. It's a very inefficient design and seems like a major oversight.

I don't know if it gets better after embarkation day but from what i saw it was pretty flawed.

From my experience, it does not get better after day one. The only time we didn't have an extended wait for an elevator with space was first thing in the morning - and that was so refreshing! The worst was when a guest with disability was waiting for an elevator and "the vultures" would rush on board if there was any space forcing others to wait. A couple times, I held my arm out to block the door advising others that guest in wheelchair had been waiting. On more than one occasion, my husband and I took separate elevators just to get there because we were so tired of waiting and numerous times we rode in the opposite direction just to finally get onto an elevator!

I'm happy for folks who had better experiences.

Sorry, but this has been discussed ad nauseum on the Princess board.

I have seen your thread on P&O board, you will not get different answers here.

Simply, some will not have a problem with no central stairs (I don't), and some will.

I have sailed on Grand Princess many times (original grand calss ship), and it does not have central stairs either. It waasnt a problem for me then , and it0s not a proboem for me now.

I agree with this. Some will not like it, and some won't care. Currently it doesn't bother me, but that could change at some point.

You have control though, and don't have to sail on a ship that doesn't meet your needs.

While those forward balcony cabins have been used on sea days in the Caribbean (family member has sailed in one) the website does warn that if you book this category you may not be able to use it.

Website might state it but photos of the placard in the very cabins state that only when it's excessively windy (or something like that) would the balcony be restricted. There have been several posts by people who've stayed in these rooms who had unlimited access on sea days.

Website might state it but photos of the placard in the very cabins state that only when it's excessively windy (or something like that) would the balcony be restricted. There have been several posts by people who've stayed in these rooms who had unlimited access on sea days.

Yes my SIL and BIL stayed in one when sailing in the Caribbean. It was open all week. I wonder if they were able to use them on the Transatlantic?

Just off the Royal. Did not have too much problems with elevators. Can't understand why everyone says no stair case. There is 3 sets of stairs in the middle Piazza area. Yes the elevators seem small. They stop on floors where they are not needed. They seem quite hot and stuffy inside. But you can manage all week using them.

I am equally puzzled as to why people jump onto a thread to say it's a complete mess, and caused them huge issues. Fine, but their views and the views of those who say it is not a problem for them are equally valid.

Two sides to every story.

Bob