Reluctance to join "Roll Call" Postings

Fairfield Nana

I'm really curious why so few folks post to the various "roll call" links for their particular cruise on this website. These links have lots of good information. ways to sign up for shore tours, and are just a great way to meet folks prior to seeing them on their respective cruises. Its a great way to ease into the wonderful experience of taking a cruise and to make it a bit easier and less stressful.

Most of us do, but there are many who post and may not even be booked on a cruise.

Also reading instructions is a alien concept.

Just make that latter "reading" - too many people don't!

Personally I think a lot of people don't really want to meet new people on a cruise. Or it hasn't occurred to them. I like to meet "face to face" people I have got to know on CC. And so I participate in roll calls. But those who even look at CC once in a while are a drop in the ocean compared to the number of people who cruise. Too bad...

But those who even look at CC once in a while are a drop in the ocean compared to the number of people who cruise. Too bad...

Bingo. I don't think it's a matter of choosing not to participate. Most people on cruises don't even know such a board exists.

I always do to get up to date info from others.

But remember ,,CC only known to a small percentage of cruisers.

Larger the line,more the roll call numbers,it seems.

Often not able to meet and greet when its held first day,right after lifeboat drills(which is often the case).Prefer doing it second day,or sea day, so not so much going on.

My DH is not as social and often times "passes"on it.

I think that people don't know how to go about doing it easily. For example, how to subscribe to a roll call or a thread so that you automatically get an email when someone replies. (Use Forum Tools on the top right.) So find it once, subscribe and it is easy!

For me, the social side is a bonus when using the roll calls. I want to find out about the destinations, and join tour groups (and thus save money!).

In my last trip, a fellow Cruise Critic member did an amazing job of identifying and hiring guides, and creating great small group tours. Without his help, my trip would have not have been as good as it was. I hope I learned something so I can pay back to other CC'ers!

Edited by Tansy Mews

We just got back from our first O cruise last week. We had a relatively active roll call for O. We were able to share tours and and had a very nice meeting on the first day.

However on our other O cruise booked for March, there has been almost no activity. I have also been surprised that there is so little interest, especially since it is such a benefit for sharing private excursions. I would think excursions alone would make roll calls very popular for O cruisers with their very high cost excursions.

A lot of past cruisers on Oceania forums know where the roll calls are so no need to post the links

Most roll calls we have been on are very active especially the European ones

People are looking to share tours more so for those cruises

Some Caribbean roll calls are not as active because most people just want a beach they do not need a group to get there ;)

Some people who have been on other lines think all roll calls are created equal with games to play matching t-shirts etc...

I would avoid those ones myself ;)

Though there may be thousands of us posting on Cruise Critic on a regular basis, there are also hundreds of cruises every year...on the various cruise lines each with many ships and sailing after sailing...So, Cruise Critic posters are spread a little thin overall. Most people you cruise with have never even heard of Cruise Critic. Many others who have found it still haven't figured out the whole Roll Call thing.

And, some people really don't get the idea of doing private tours rather than the cruise line's excursions and others are just not that social--and don't want to meet others cruiseing with them.

The larger the ship, the more the odds favor finding others here on cruise critic who are on your cruise. But it is hit and miss...Often, we've had very large roll calls with great participation levels...other times, we've found the turn-out meager...Luck of the draw...But, the odds of getting good participation is much better on the Marina or Riviera than on the older smaller ships...and better than that on, say, a Celebrity ship with 1,900 to 2,700 people...and better than that on Princess or Carnival ...or Royal Caribbean with as many as 6,000 onboard...

It also makes a difference as to the itinerary. I've been on very short cruises with only very familiar and unexciting ports where participation is very low--nobody is searching out private tours just to visit Ensenada...OTOH, for European cruises where a lot of people really want to find small group tours in a lot of unfamiliar ports and where they are more comfortable and safer touring with local guides as opposed to the ship's excursions, the roll call participation seems to go up accordingly.

For cruisers like me--who like to plan and organize private small group tours, who like to meet people and share with people ahead of time, who like to exchange information about the entire planning process...Cruise Critic, especially the Roll Calls, is a godsend...

Whenever I am on a cruise, I inevitably get into conversations with others about things like "what do we have planned in port tomorrow?" When I tell people, for example, I have a detailed private tour with a group of 8 and a guide that's picking us up from the ship, etc., others typically start asking "How did you arrange that?" or telling me about how that wouldn't work for them because they are traveling alone and there's only two of them...at which point I tell them about how my group came together--on the Cruise Critic Roll Call...And they usually then start asking questions...and I have a "convert"...

That is the way that participation in Cruise Critic grows...

Though there may be thousands of us posting on Cruise Critic on a regular basis, there are also hundreds of cruises every year...on the various cruise lines each with many ships and sailing after sailing...So, Cruise Critic posters are spread a little thin overall. Most people you cruise with have never even heard of Cruise Critic. Many others who have found it still haven't figured out the whole Roll Call thing.

And, some people really don't get the idea of doing private tours rather than the cruise line's excursions and others are just not that social--and don't want to meet others cruiseing with them.

The larger the ship, the more the odds favor finding others here on cruise critic who are on your cruise. But it is hit and miss...Often, we've had very large roll calls with great participation levels...other times, we've found the turn-out meager...Luck of the draw...But, the odds of getting good participation is much better on the Marina or Riviera than on the older smaller ships...and better than that on, say, a Celebrity ship with 1,900 to 2,700 people...and better than that on Princess or Carnival ...or Royal Caribbean with as many as 6,000 onboard...

It also makes a difference as to the itinerary. I've been on very short cruises with only very familiar and unexciting ports where participation is very low--nobody is searching out private tours just to visit Ensenada...OTOH, for European cruises where a lot of people really want to find small group tours in a lot of unfamiliar ports and where they are more comfortable and safer touring with local guides as opposed to the ship's excursions, the roll call participation seems to go up accordingly.

For cruisers like me--who like to plan and organize private small group tours, who like to meet people and share with people ahead of time, who like to exchange information about the entire planning process...Cruise Critic, especially the Roll Calls, is a godsend...

Whenever I am on a cruise, I inevitably get into conversations with others about things like "what do we have planned in port tomorrow?" When I tell people, for example, I have a detailed private tour with a group of 8 and a guide that's picking us up from the ship, etc., others typically start asking "How did you arrange that?" or telling me about how that wouldn't work for them because they are traveling alone and there's only two of them...at which point I tell them about how my group came together--on the Cruise Critic Roll Call...And they usually then start asking questions...and I have a "convert"...

That is the way that participation in Cruise Critic grows...

happy%20b%27day%20sparkle%20(1).jpg

Hi Mike, hope you didn't gain as much weight as I did on our last cruise.

I think one thing that no one has pointed out is that many of Oceania's regulars/demographic may not be the most computer active segment of cruisers.

While there are many younger cruisers on Oceania, under 65, I've found many of the fellow cruisers on the Oceania cruises I've been on to be 75+.

Many people in this age group are computer literate, but many others aren't, nor do they care to participate.

Then there are others here that post all the time, yet for whatever reasons(which is their choice and right) choose to not be part of the Roll Calls. I think there was one of those on my most recent cruise.

Edited by ORV

It was only after our 2nd Europ.cruise in 2009 that we found out about CC. We arranged and booked private tours for both cruises and spent a small fortune. As we toured alone (in a nice Mercedes sedan or mini van) we would say to each other, it would be nice to share the excursion & expense with another couple.....For our Monaco Port, we booked Alain from DreamTours. He emailed us prior to our trip to ask if we would like to share our tour with another couple, we said yes. The day of the tour, Alain mentioned CC and said a large part of his business were groups from RollCalls. Ourselves and the other couple first learned about CC that day. It's been a great source of info even when we're traveling land, rail, car. I also enjoy following the travels of fellow members....

I have taken to lurking on Roll Calls for a while before I decide whether to join. On my most recent cruises I haven't joined, for several reasons, the main two being:

1) I am not interested in private tours. For myself, the excursions offered by the cruise line are adequate, and the benefits are worth the extra cost to me. Therefore much of the discussion on Roll Calls is not pertinent to my cruise planning.

2) More importantly, the last time I did join a Roll Call actively it was appropriated by two women who looked upon it as their private club, they being the officers (of course). They organized a slot pull, a "pub" crawl, a cabin crawl, a gift swap at the Meet and Greet, and other "fun" activities. Anyone who indicated that they wouldn't participate in every and all of these activities was cold shouldered and marginalized. I realized what was going on only after embarkation and, of course, ceased participation in the Roll Call. Most awkward. I am probably over-reacting to an unfortunate situation, but not participating hasn't affected my enjoyment of subsequent cruises. Happily, I have met interesting and amusing people, filled my dining hours with great conversation, seen unique and beautiful sites in the ports we visited, and just plain enjoyed myself. Meanwhile, I lurk and if I get a whiff of misguided proprietorship on a Roll Call I just don't rise to the bait.

I have taken to lurking on Roll Calls for a while before I decide whether to join. On my most recent cruises I haven't joined, for several reasons, the main two being:

1) I am not interested in private tours. For myself, the excursions offered by the cruise line are adequate, and the benefits are worth the extra cost to me. Therefore much of the discussion on Roll Calls is not pertinent to my cruise planning.

2) More importantly, the last time I did join a Roll Call actively it was appropriated by two women who looked upon it as their private club, they being the officers (of course). They organized a slot pull, a "pub" crawl, a cabin crawl, a gift swap at the Meet and Greet, and other "fun" activities. Anyone who indicated that they wouldn't participate in every and all of these activities was cold shouldered and marginalized. I realized what was going on only after embarkation and, of course, ceased participation in the Roll Call. Most awkward. I am probably over-reacting to an unfortunate situation, but not participating hasn't affected my enjoyment of subsequent cruises. Happily, I have met interesting and amusing people, filled my dining hours with great conversation, seen unique and beautiful sites in the ports we visited, and just plain enjoyed myself. Meanwhile, I lurk and if I get a whiff of misguided proprietorship on a Roll Call I just don't rise to the bait.

I can hardly believe what you said for an Oceania cruise, not that I am saying it could not happen. I would have been like you, running for cover.

Hi Mike, hope you didn't gain as much weight as I did on our last cruise.

I think one thing that no one has pointed out is that many of Oceania's regulars/demographic may not be the most computer active segment of cruisers.

While there are many younger cruisers on Oceania, under 65, I've found many of the fellow cruisers on the Oceania cruises I've been on to be 75+.

Many people in this age group are computer literate, but many others aren't, nor do they care to participate.

Then there are others here that post all the time, yet for whatever reasons(which is their choice and right) choose to not be part of the Roll Calls. I think there was one of those on my most recent cruise.

Hi Orv,

I was totally shocked that I only gained 3 pounds on a 12 day cruise. I consider that a major success. :D

2) More importantly, the last time I did join a Roll Call actively it was appropriated by two women who looked upon it as their private club, they being the officers (of course). They organized a slot pull, a "pub" crawl, a cabin crawl, a gift swap at the Meet and Greet, and other "fun" activities.

OMG :eek:

I would disengage from any roll call like that on Oceania thankfully ours have been civilized so far

Sounds more like an NCL crowd :rolleyes:

We do enjoy the private tours as well as the ship's tours it just depends on the port

Lyn

OMG :eek:

I would disengage from any roll call like that on Oceania thankfully ours have been civilized so far

Sounds more like an NCL crowd :rolleyes:

We do enjoy the private tours as well as the ship's tours it just depends on the port

Lyn

I have recently seen a similar RC, I think the tropical itineraries are more likely to have these type of activities. Not for me!

I have recently seen a similar RC, I think the tropical itineraries are more likely to have these type of activities. Not for me!

Guess we have been lucky on the Caribbean cruise

I have no idea what a slot pull is :eek: sounds tacky on Oceania

I can guess at the pub crawl ...a cabin crawl maybe :D

Edited by LHT28

I think, perhaps, there needs to be a definition of what it means to "participate" in a Roll Call...

A Roll Call is merely the discussion of the cruise on the message board...

...it does not necessarily include any participation in any activities onboard which may have been planned by any posters on the Roll Call...You have not joined a club, enrolled in any games or meetings or joined in any tours...

Participation in the Roll Call means posting on the thread...exchanging information on tours, ports, ship amenities, pre-or post-cruise hotels, restaurants, etc., asking or answering questions or planning /arranging/joining tours...Anyone can opt in or out of any part of this. Don't want to join private tours? Easy...just don't agree to do that. Don't have any questions? Don't ask... Don't want to answer anyone's questions? Don't answer. You can participate or not participate as much or as little as you want... It's all voluntary

Now, I have participated in Roll Calls where someone or another has organized some sort of "Cabin Crawl"...Doesn't appeal to me, so I simply don't respond and don't show up....and no one has ever said anything about it to me. Anyone else wants to wear goofy hats or organize some sort of strange activity, I usually just refrain from THAT activity...

What I DO participate in, usually, is a "Meet and Greet" sort of get-together. On Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, the Cruise Line actually organizes these...and I find them valuable, especially if I've planned any small group tours, it's a great way to make sure I find these folks and make proper introductions...but there are no rules on attendance or how long you stay or who you have to spend time talking to....they are usually pretty informal. Past there, I am typically on my own on the ship--except there are often people I've connected with on the Roll Call who we'll end up becoming friendly with during the cruise...We've also met people from the Roll Call during our pre-cruise. For Example, one cruise out of Southampton, a few of us all discovered we were staying in Southampton for one or two nights before...and we decided to meet in the hotel lobby the night before and go to dinner together--had a great time. Last summer, we found that we were going to be in Verona overlapping one night during our pre-cruise with another couple on our Roll Call, so we arranged to meet for dinner that evening... You don't have to do these sort of things, but we enjoyed them...and, by the time we arrived on our ships, it was as though we already had friends...

But, just remember...just because you've participated on a Roll Call doesn't mean you even have to reveal yourself to anyone on the cruise...

I used to eschew roll calls completely, but lately have been using them to my benefit, which includes meeting people onboard.

I was active on a huge roll-call for our TA on Riviera last November. This was mainly because I was new to Oceania, and thought it might be beneficial, plus I decided to participate in the "organize small group excursions" which seems to be de rigueur on O.

There was a cabin crawl, again I participated, in fact showing our cabin. That was mainly because I wanted to see a bunch of different types of suites, so that worked out very well. There was a meet & greet that was so large you could hardly move, and was thus pretty useless at befriending people. But the excursion sharing worked out very well, and there was much advice shared on that thread which I valued.

There was a gift exchange, which I hate, so I didn't participate. My hatred is mainly a legacy of a cruise about 10 years ago, where there was a really stupid gift giving thing which I felt obliged to participate in. It was a small group, and very "chummy", much too chummy for me. We had to go ashore and buy a gift for under 5 USD, supposed to be "joke" gifts. It was like a scavenger hunt, since the destination was so expensive that almost nothing cost that. This type of thing makes me shudder. Although I did make good friends on that cruise.

I'm now involved in one roll-call that threatens to become a bit too chummy as well, but I am benefitting from the private excursions, and will in fact meet some lovely people, I'm sure. But no gift-giving for me, nor scavenger hunts!

We were with Wendythewanderer on the same TA and we had a great roll call. I must just add a different perspective to Wendy's thoughts.

The meet and greet was large - but we used the opportunity to find and introduce ourselves to others on our private tours and to our fellow guests for our Privee evening. (We all had name tags, which I hate, so the DH wore ours!) I remember it was very noisy! LOL!

The gift exchange was a fun thing to do, and was not compulsory at all! Those who wanted to do so brought a small gift, e.g. something from their home country or state (whisky marmalade anyone?). Those participating drew a numbered ticket and then found the matching numbered gift .... It worked really well and people really put a lot of thought into their gifts. I was lucky to have a handmade fabric wallet which I really like and it's a lovely reminder of that time and the lady who made it. It was fun watching people open their gifts, well, I enjoyed it anyway!

The cabin crawl also worked really well, and with that number of people we had to be organised so as not to disrupt other cruisers. We all met in Horizons and split into smaller groups and had "hosts" in each stateroom waiting for each group. We all landed up in a Vista Suite (thank you, you know who you are :)), with drinks and nibbles.

I don't think any of us are going on a cruise to find our new BFF, but it is fun to meet others and be as sociable or not as you wish!

Our roll call "leaders" did a fantastic job and did it all with good humour and at no point were you made to feel you "had" to do anything!

As I've said, I've seen these sorts of things done on various cruises--and I've declined to participate in many--with no adverse results...

Cabin crawls don't interest me...I don't want 30 or 40 people trouncing through my cabin...and I don't have an interest in following a herd through anyone else's...I have been invited for a drink, individually or in a very small group, to others' suites and have accepted those invitations...and when I had the Oceania Suite on the then-brand new Marina, I had invited a select few up to our Suite...But I just can't see wandering, as a herd, from cabin to cabin...If I want to take a peek at a particular class of cabins, perhaps for future booking purposes, I'll wait until the cruise is over and people have vacated and ask the cabin steward cleaning the cabin if I can take a look inside...

Slot pulls are of no interest to me...I don't gamble anyway...and am not showing up in a casino with a herd mentality either...

Gift exchanges, to me, are worse than needless...You'd have to pack whatever you got into your luggage to take home...a great waste of needed weight and space...for typically useless junk. I was on an Australia/New Zealand cruise over Christmas and New Year's a couple of years back...and Christmas Day was an "at sea" day...Someone from the Roll Call organized a group Christmas lunch in the Main Dining Room...arranged for the ship to give us four or five large tables in an otherwise unused (for lunch) wing of the dining room...We did participate and it was very nice...Someone else decided to organize a "gift exchange" to be held at the lunch...purely optional...About half the group opted out, the rest opted in...and it was agreed to do the thing very quietly and unobtrusively...and it was handled well--though it would have been just fine without it...I guess I could look the other way a bit as it was at least Christmas, so it didn't look entirely out of place...

But, for the most part, MOST cruises I have been on, the Roll Call members will organize nothing more than one Meet & Greet, perhaps an informal "meet for a drink at Sailaway"...and nothing more than that but individual small group port tours...the participation in all of which is voluntary...

I am guessing these other frivolities are found more often on, say, Carnival or NCL...

Edited by Bruin Steve

"cabin crawls" ... First time I have heard of them. Wonder if these crawls originated on other cruise lines. Somehow I don't find the idea appealing.

Personally I find the idea very un-appealing.

As it is folks seem to think they can enter a suite that is being serviced. We have had that happen on our current cruise as well as ones in the past...why are folks so brazen?