Why aren't Oasis?Allure going to grand Cayman anymore

I was thinking of booking the Allure next year & noticed Allure & Oasis aren't stopping at Grand Cayman, which is was really looking forward to. Is this new? Does anyone know why?

I was thinking of booking the Allure next year & noticed Allure & Oasis aren't stopping at Grand Cayman, which is was really looking forward to. Is this new? Does anyone know why?

They've never gone to GC (or any other tender port). The size of the ships make tendering impossible as it would take all day just to get everyone off the ship.

OP,

The Freedom goes to Grand Cayman and I thought their tendering process worked pretty well.

That really doesn't matter since Oasis and Allure do not go there. Plus they're both quite a bit larger than Freedom with a lot more passengers.

Oh, I guess I just assumed the Western Caribbean stops were the same as Freedom. I really want to see Grand Cayman so I might have to book a Freedom Cruise again. This WoW sale has me in a tissy because the deals are so good but I can't decide which one to book!

The size of the ships make tendering impossible as it would take all day just to get everyone off the ship.

Well that's reassuring, in case the ship starts to, like, sink or something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Well that's reassuring, in case the ship starts to, like, sink or something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Well, since GC doesn't use the ship's lifeboats....

And, the lifeboats can be loaded and lowered pretty quickly and probably simultaneously, one has nothing to do with the other.

Oh, I guess I just assumed the Western Caribbean stops were the same as Freedom. I really want to see Grand Cayman so I might have to book a Freedom Cruise again. This WoW sale has me in a tissy because the deals are so good but I can't decide which one to book!

Hi Jax, I can see how it would be disappointing, if that is the one port you really want. But in general, it's actually a good thing to have one less port on this run. These two ships are so big, and have so much to do one them, the extra sea day is a real plus.

Hi. Unless I missed something? Grand Cayman is tender. Oasis/Allure too big. No port build out to accommodate those ships. Have not docked there. Have to stick to Freedom or smaller class to get to GC. Have a great cruise no matter what ship you choose!

Well, since GC doesn't use the ship's lifeboats....

And, the lifeboats can be loaded and lowered pretty quickly and probably simultaneously, one has nothing to do with the other.

Agreed, plus tendering only allows a couple of tenders to load/unload as well.

It's not only getting people off the ship that's the issue tendering, it is also how you get them onto shore;)

Edited by Spurschick

Grand Cayman also is a tricky port for big ships -- if the winds are too high, they can cancel the port due to difficulty getting in. I've had it skipped on several of my cruises. I imagine that also makes it less ideal for the Oasis class ships.

Hi. Unless I missed something? Grand Cayman is tender. Oasis/Allure too big. No port build out to accommodate those ships. Have not docked there. Have to stick to Freedom or smaller class to get to GC. Have a great cruise no matter what ship you choose!

Can you imagine calling Freedom small 5 years ago?

Grand Cayman also is a tricky port for big ships -- if the winds are too high, they can cancel the port due to difficulty getting in. I've had it skipped on several of my cruises. I imagine that also makes it less ideal for the Oasis class ships.

The winds and waves only present an issue for the tenders. If GC goes ahead with its pier project, those issues disappear, since tenders won't be needed.

Grand Cayman said it would built a pier for cruise ships but only if it got financial backing from major cruise lines.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/features/cayman-ship-pier-study-calls-for-support-from-major-cruise-lines.html

It's not just financial backing. Huge concerns are protecting reefs and the negatives the dredging could cause.

I am sure GC would love to have a ship with over 5000 passengers dock for the day and flood money into their economy.........but would they be prepared on the tourism side to handle this with other ships.

But, when money talks, anything is possible and I guess they would eventually handle the mass crowds.

But as others have said, tendering is the issue at hand.

Sea Ya

I am sure GC would love to have a ship with over 5000 passengers dock for the day and flood money into their economy.........but would they be prepared on the tourism side to handle this with other ships.

But, when money talks, anything is possible and I guess they would eventually handle the mass crowds.

But as others have said, tendering is the issue at hand.

Sea Ya

GC is a very wealthy nation. I suspect that they may feel that they have found the proper balance between tourism and its economics vs. the ecology of their island and surrounding waters. If that were not the case I think that they would have dredged and built a pier long ago.