Pool Hogs ~ Tips and Suggestions

jmcgraw1409

I've heard rumors that it is hard to find seats by the pool because people put their towels all over all chairs to save them and then walk away for the day.

So I'm just curious about what your tips and suggestions and advice are?? Other than getting up at 4 a.m.:D

Take one of the less desirable open seats then "watch" the more desirable chairs with only a towel on them for 30 minutes. If no one comes to the chair then assume it is an abandoned towel and toss to the side and enjoy your new seat. Another option is to just keep moving. I will just sit in an unoccupied chair with just a towel. If the owner comes along, say sorry and move to the next unoccupied chair. Really quite simple.

There are PLENTY of loungers! Not all of them can be by the pool...and the better seats are usually up a level. While you will see plenty of non-occupied loungers covered with towels, there will be loungers to be found!

However, if there are none...tell the pool attendant that you need a lounger. They will assist you.

I HATE chair-hogs, but they are everywhere...not just on cruiseships! Go to any resort with a pool, and you'll have the same issues.

As long as there is a chair somewhere, I'm ok....if there are none, then tell the person in charge!

I've heard rumors that it is hard to find seats by the pool because people put their towels all over all chairs to save them and then walk away for the day.

So I'm just curious about what your tips and suggestions and advice are?? Other than getting up at 4 a.m.:D

"Pool Hogs"! That's funny, I was picturing the pool filled with towels and books to reserve spots! :D

The correct term is "Chair Hogs" but I do like "Pool Hogs" too!!!:)

On my last cruise, I wanted to watch the morning movie in the pool area, but needed a chair in the shade. The ones in the needed area were all taken but one just had a shirt and paperback book on it. I asked those sitting around it if the person was coming back. Nobody knew who it was. I asked if they've been there for at least 30 minutes (which was the time listed on signs around the area and in the ship's newsletter) and some said yes. So I moved the shirt and book off the chair onto a table... and said, "You didn't see that." Got some laughs. Sat down. Was there for a good hour before the woman who apparently owned the items returned. She didn't say anything when she took her things. If she did say something, I was prepared to shrug and say I don't know anything about it.

I think these people count on others being too scared to do anything.

Thanks for all the replies :-) Good to know about the 30 minute rule. I suppose I should clarify that I'm not necessarily talking about a chair RIGHT by the pool. I just meant a chair in general....anywhere. When I read the "rumors" I picture in my head that there are no chairs to be had anywhere. It makes me wonder when I read reviews over and over and over again talking about how they couldn't find a seat. Thanks again :-)

I have seen deck people put tags on chaises with no one there just towels, etc. On one ship the time the tag was put there was written on the tag. If someone was looking for a seat the tag person would find one, take he stuff off and give he seat away. Stuff taken off was taken to the towel person giving new towels out. But think you have to ask the towel person to do this.

In situations where a chair is "reserved" for an extended period of time with nobody occupying it, I personally would not want to directly remove another passengers towels or other items to then take the chair. That could result in a potential confrontation with that other passenger that I wouldn't want.

I have no issue, however, asking for the pool attendant or other ship staff to address the issue. On recent RCI cruises the staff has begun to become more proactive regarding monitoring this on their own, which IMO is as it should be, by placing 30 minute time cards on reserved chairs. This is at least a start in managing the process and in making those involved aware that they eventually will loose the chair.

On an Alaskan cruise last year on the ms Amsterdam, I was in the Crow’s Nest, the prime inside viewing area, when we were to see some glaciers. Right in front of the large viewing windows there was one gentleman with five empty seats he was “saving.”

After standing for about twenty minutes, I mentioned to the gentleman that I was going to sit in one of the seats and I would relinquish the seat when his friends came in a reasonable amount of time. As soon as I did this, two other couples immediately said the same thing and took the remaining four chairs.

His friends finally came after about an hour and a half and none of us would relinquish our seats. We all believed that saving prime viewing seats for almost two hours was not reasonable.

Chair hogs only exist if we permit them to do so.

Scott & Karen

Last fall, my DH and I got up early and had coffee and a smoke on the lido deck. Someone was placing towels on all the chairs they wanted to save. An hour later (and no one on the seats) a wonderful rain storm appeared. giggle, so much for saving a chair, all the towels got moved.:D

The problem with moving to an upper deck is that parents need to be by the pool to watch their young ones. I personally prefer the upper decks, quieter, etc. but my DD needs to sit by the pool when her 7 yr old is in the pool. I will try some of these tips. Thanks!

️ You know you're a cruise addict:

If you know what DOtD and OBC mean.

If you enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

If you are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

"Pool Hogs"! That's funny, I was picturing the pool filled with towels and books to reserve spots! :D

The correct term is "Chair Hogs" but I do like "Pool Hogs" too!!!:)

Yes, "Chair hogs" is correct. Here is one in action:

chair%20hog.jpg

Edited by boogs

Regarding the suggestions to go to an upper deck, my problem is that I absolutely must have a chair in the shade and the upper decks are generally in full sun.

I usually do what others have suggested and ask the deck patrol to remove items from reserved chairs. (sometimes if it is just a towel, I'll remove it myself).

Take one of the less desirable open seats then "watch" the more desirable chairs with only a towel on them for 30 minutes. If no one comes to the chair then assume it is an abandoned towel and toss to the side and enjoy your new seat. .
Um, no. I am not going to hang around for half an hour in hopes that a seat will open up. I'm going to choose carefully -- a seat that's clearly being hogged -- and I'm going to sit down now.