Transferred booking

hulamoon

Is a transferred booking no longer a new booking? I was told it was not and it surprised me. If so I guess I need to arrange what I am booking before I board with a TA, rather than shop it after.

Today I tried to transfer a booking to an agency, within time limits, they told me I was not eligible for bonuses because it was not a new booking.

If this is true then I need to arrange with an agency before I cruise so it is a new not transferred booking. Because I use different agencies I did not assign one when I purchased on board and didn't want to call back to the mainland to shop during the cruise.

Anyone else run into this? Is a transferred booking no longer new?

Booked 4 cruises while on a ship recently then transferred them to TA when we got home. Got all the perks for booking while on board(OBC, beverage pkg & reduced deposit) then got the OBC the TA was offering. Not sure I understand what you are experiencing- are you not getting perks from the TA? Or they saying you don't get on board booking perks?

Today I tried to transfer a booking to an agency, within time limits, they told me I was not eligible for bonuses because it was not a new booking.

If this is true then I need to arrange with an agency before I cruise so it is a new not transferred booking. Because I use different agencies I did not assign one when I purchased on board and didn't want to call back to the mainland to shop during the cruise.

Anyone else run into this? Is a transferred booking no longer new?

When you transfer a booking, you are transferring an existing booking. Therefore, it is not new.

Is a transferred booking no longer a new booking? I was told it was not and it surprised me. If so I guess I need to arrange what I am booking before I board with a TA, rather than shop it after.

My take is that it would not be a new booking. You book it and transfer...how could that be new? Existing reservation.

I did not realize that a transferred booking would be worth less to a TA than an onboard booking made and transferred. But today I was told it was not worth as much and therefore eligible for less perks from the TA. I was told new bookings would receive full perks but transferred ones would not.

Edited by hulamoon

I transferred a booking recently and just received an e-mail from the TA. They said they require additional deposit to secure their terms. It equates to the standard Celebrity deposit of $900 versus the $200 we deposited with our onboard booking.

For those in the know, does this sound right? This is the first time booking with this TA. This TA does offer more OBC's combined with the on board booking incentives.

Obviously, I am no expert, as I have my own question.

It could be the TA has a group rate and to get it they want more deposit, but I do not know why they would need more.

Also it is not uncommon to speak to new people who do not know much. During my shopping today, one TA told me that my 1,2,3 go booking from onboard would preclude her from giving me any Obc. That was so silly, I just moved on.

I transferred a booking recently and just received an e-mail from the TA. They said they require additional deposit to secure their terms. It equates to the standard Celebrity deposit of $900 versus the $200 we deposited with our onboard booking.

For those in the know, does this sound right? This is the first time booking with this TA. This TA does offer more OBC's combined with the on board booking incentives.

The increased deposit is because they are moving you into their group and therefore they are able to give you more perks, but to be in the group, you have to pay the full deposit.

Booked two cruises last week onboard and received Captains Club upgrade, drink pkg and OBC from Celebrity. Tuesday I called my online TA that was having a Memorial Day sale and was able to get those two bookings transferred and in addition to what Celebrity gave me my TA gave me more OBC and paid gratuities. Felt like I won the lottery on these!

I seldom book on a ship. I booked while sailing last winter. After making the booking, I emailed my TA and asked him what extra OBC he night add to get the transferred booking. Gave me more OBC. Then I went back and told Celebrity to transfer the booking. It was easy. My TA was pushing for me not to book on the ship. He wanted me to buy the open certificate. I am sure that would have netted him more commission. If you book on the ship, you have 60 days to transfer the booking. Know your cruise fares before you sail. You can log into the Celebrity website on the ship without any fee.

Has anyone ever contacted their current TA and asked them prior to the cruse on which you plan to do some on board bookings what perks they will offer. I plan to book three cruises while on board and they will be automatically transferred to the TA who we booked our next cruise through unless I tell Celebrity otherwise. Once this happens there is less incentive for your current TA to give you extra perks.

Edited by woodyren

I seldom book on a ship. I booked while sailing last winter. After making the booking, I emailed my TA and asked him what extra OBC he night add to get the transferred booking. Gave me more OBC. Then I went back and told Celebrity to transfer the booking. It was easy. My TA was pushing for me not to book on the ship. He wanted me to buy the open certificate. I am sure that would have netted him more commission. If you book on the ship, you have 60 days to transfer the booking. Know your cruise fares before you sail. You can log into the Celebrity website on the ship without any fee.

The TA gets 50% less commission from "X" on a transferred booking, and still does most of the ongoing work.

Booked two cruises last week onboard and received Captains Club upgrade, drink pkg and OBC from Celebrity. Tuesday I called my online TA that was having a Memorial Day sale and was able to get those two bookings transferred and in addition to what Celebrity gave me my TA gave me more OBC and paid gratuities. Felt like I won the lottery on these!

This is what I tried to do. Unfortunately, I think they confused the old 123 go with the new onboard and refused to give me the full offer. Wanted me to cancel and rebook, doing so increased the booking cost by 300. This made the offer not as attractive. So what do I wake up to? A new email telling me the offer is combinable with 123go. And that is definitely a transferred booking, unless they are offering to people boarding.

Har99 thanks for explaining his to me. It is good to know.

The TA gets 50% less commission from "X" on a transferred booking, and still does most of the ongoing work.

Trying to clarify what you are saying.

2 scenarios......

1) We book a cruise on board and it is immediately booked under our TA

2) We book a cruise on board with no TA designated and when we get home we transfer to the TA of our choice (after checking what OBCs different TAs will give us)

Are you saying that the TA gets DOUBLE the commission in scenario 1 than they do in scenario 2? :confused:

Trying to clarify what you are saying.

2 scenarios......

1) We book a cruise on board and it is immediately booked under our TA

2) We book a cruise on board with no TA designated and when we get home we transfer to the TA of our choice (after checking what OBCs different TAs will give us)

Are you saying that the TA gets DOUBLE the commission in scenario 1 than they do in scenario 2? :confused:

No; in both 1 & 2 the TA would receive 50% less commission than if you had booked direct with him/her back on dry land as opposed to with "X" on ship.

No; in both 1 & 2 the TA would receive 50% less commission than if you had booked direct with him/her back on dry land as opposed to with "X" on ship.

Maybe that's how it works across the pond, but not in the U.S. The TA gets the same commission whether you booked on board or directly with the TA, and you get the same OBC either way.

Maybe that's how it works across the pond, but not in the U.S. The TA gets the same commission whether you booked on board or directly with the TA, and you get the same OBC either way.

Agree. We get the same OBC from the TA whether we book on the ship & then transfer the booking or book directly with the TA. They couldn't offer the same OBC if they were getting 50% less commission.

Ok, I admit, I haven't let it go yet. I really should have gotten that Memorial Day sale benefits. He told me it was for new bookings only...then I get a flyer saying 123go are accepted.

Unfortunately, I speedily assigned it elsewhere when he said it was not eligible, and the sale was expiring. Of course, too late for today's extension of sale.

So if you are working with a TA at least a couple of them out there do not understand the 123go we book onboard.

Unfortunately the poster I responded to doesn't have a location (Myrtle Beach, Scotland or wherever) in their header so people like me will respond as we find it at home. Like many things, across the pond we see different policies.

Unfortunately the poster I responded to doesn't have a location (Myrtle Beach, Scotland or wherever) in their header so people like me will respond as we find it at home. Like many things, across the pond we see different policies.

Just book through a US agent - that's what I do

The increased deposit is because they are moving you into their group and therefore they are able to give you more perks, but to be in the group, you have to pay the full deposit.

While on Board the Equinox last fall we booked a Trans Atlantic for this November from Rome to Fort Lauderdale on the Constellation. The deposit was $200.00. We were asked if we wanted to transfer the booking to our travel agent. We did so in order to give her the commission. Our travel agent did not ask us to increase our deposit. It is my understanding that the perks offered are based on the cruise you have chosen. In our experience, Trans Atlantic cruises tend not to offer perks because the pricing structure is usually lower than other types of cruises. We have found, regardless of the chosen cruise, as one moves up the ranks from Classic, Select to Elite then the perks improve. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Chicago Boy