Luggage tag question in case of lost bags

Nerfball6

I apologize if this is a commonly asked question; I searched but couldn't find the answer. This will be my first cruise, and I am flying in to Vancouver the evening before departure and staying at a hotel prior to a sea/land tour of Alaska. I was wondering if on my luggage tags for the flight out, I shouldn't put the cruise ship information (ship name/departure city/Pier) as the address, instead of my home address. Thinking that if the bags should get lost, they would deliver it to the ship instead of back to my home. Would the airline do this? I would also have my full regular contact information inside the bags.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Dave

I usually put my contact info/the cruise ship name/ date/ itinerary/cruise line phone number/my email inside my bag as well if I have an outside pocket on the case

I have stickers on my hardsided case in case they get lost hopefully someone will look up the code # on the tag where the same information is stored

check RuMEid for stickers

When you file the lost bag claim with the airline, (the bag hasn't shown up in a timely manner), you tell them where to deliver the bag(s) then. Some people also put an itinerary inside the bag as well.

I would not put anything on the outside of the bag to further confuse things.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I apologize if this is a commonly asked question; I searched but couldn't find the answer. This will be my first cruise, and I am flying in to Vancouver the evening before departure and staying at a hotel prior to a sea/land tour of Alaska. I was wondering if on my luggage tags for the flight out, I shouldn't put the cruise ship information (ship name/departure city/Pier) as the address, instead of my home address. Thinking that if the bags should get lost, they would deliver it to the ship instead of back to my home. Would the airline do this? I would also have my full regular contact information inside the bags.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Dave

Well, you could do that, but what if your lost luggage isn't found in time to catch up with you prior to the sail away? It might be better to pack an extra change of clothes (or two) in your carry-on, and plan on using your credit card to purchase anything else you might need while on your cruise. To cover your bases (so to speak), why not include both your cruise ship information and your home address on your luggage if you're concerned about lost luggage?

I make a custom luggage tag for each trip from an Avery business card template. On the card I put my name, cell phone number, and email account, my pre cruise hotel date and phone number, and the name of the ship, booking number, and phone number.

The reason for doing so is that the airline is not the only place your luggage may become missing. People mistakenly pick up the wrong bag and it can also become lost at the pier. I have read that a bag ended up on the wrong ship at the pier. Your cruise line luggage tag could also be ripped off. This actually happened to me. I always lock my luggage so I want it to be as easy for someone to know where I am especially if I am still in town.

I also put a detailed list inside my bags.

Shak

I stopped putting my home address on any luggage tags. Might seem paranoid but just in case someone not with the airlines is able to peek at one's luggage tag (while you're standing in line or whatever), they won't be able to get this info. I do put my cell number on it and my next destination (hotel or cruise ship).

Before each cruise, I'll print out stickers for each leg of the trip when you're doing both a land portion and a cruise portion, and then put the next set of stickers on top of the old ones the morning that we're leaving for the next leg. For example, for our Alaskan cruise ten years ago: 1) for our pre-train trip hotel, 2) for our train trip, 3) for our pre-cruise hotel, 4) for our cruise, 5) for our post-cruise hotel, 5) for our return train trip, 6) for our last hotel stay. For each piece of luggage and carry-ons, camera bags, purse, etc.

I also make an itinerary sheet that has our cruise info (ship, cruiseline's emergency number, our cabin number), each day's port/sea day info, my cell phone number, my email address (that was on our last cruise as we had purchased an Internet package). One sheet each went into the inside of our suitcases, and a sheet went to some of our neighbors and some family members.

Herself and I will be flying to New York to join the QM2, and the Air Canada website recommends putting both travel destination and home address *inside* the luggage, on the premise that if it's lost, someone with CATSA/TSA master keys can open it and find out the home address. On the outside tag, though, I put just the address I'm going to - don't want to confuse Air Canada any more than they are already. :)

When you file the lost bag claim with the airline, (the bag hasn't shown up in a timely manner), you tell them where to deliver the bag(s) then. Some people also put an itinerary inside the bag as well.

I would not put anything on the outside of the bag to further confuse things.

Yes. Never just shrug and leave the airport without a checked bag. When your bag doesn't appear on the carousel, go immediately to the appropriate airline office on the baggage claim level and file a claim. You will be asked to describe the bag in some detail, and leave instructions on where to send it. The airline will deliver to your hotel or to a cruise port according to your schedule.

Delta, and probably other airlines, has an app that tracks your bags every step of your itinerary. For example, bag loaded in Seattle, offloaded in Atlanta, loaded onto connection in Atlanta, offloaded in FLL. I know before I get off the plane at my final destination if all bags made my flights.

You should NEVER, EVER put your home address on your luggage! Always put your business address! If a potential theif spies your address, it's a good bet you're NOT home....that's just asking for trouble!

Put your itinerary in an unlocked, outside pocket of each suitcase, along with your cell phone #....if you must put an address, put where you work....no need directing theives to your home.

Don't put anything but the airline's tags on your bags for the flight. They have enough trouble with their own tags! Put the ship tags on after you retrieve your luggage.

Edited by cb at sea

You should NEVER, EVER put your home address on your luggage! Always put your business address! If a potential theif spies your address, it's a good bet you're NOT home....that's just asking for trouble!

Put your itinerary in an unlocked, outside pocket of each suitcase, along with your cell phone #....if you must put an address, put where you work....no need directing theives to your home.

Don't put anything but the airline's tags on your bags for the flight. They have enough trouble with their own tags! Put the ship tags on after you retrieve your luggage.

Good advise to a point.

Not all of us work. Some of us are retired or

do not work outside our homes.

Good advise to a point.

Not all of us work. Some of us are retired or

do not work outside our homes.

I use my mother's address. She lives in a block of flats that is not easily accessible, so I wouldn't be causing a problem for her by doing so.

Someone gave me the advice to put the information inside AND outside your luggage so they will find it in some way.

Also, put very bright tape/ribbon (secured so it doesnt snag)and have a bright case that stands out when someone is looking for your bag in a big room.