Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

We love the prepaying the tips, and like the prepaying the specialty restaurants and the beverage packages! The way we see it, you pay for it anyways, so why not pay before the cruise and not have that bill at the end of the cruise?

As for tipping, we always tip extra, and even if we had poor service such as a couple of cabin stewards on Carnival, we never reduce or not tip. We purchase the premium beverage package which includes the tip and every drink we ordered we would give an extra dollar, you know why.....these are people like you and I who work for a living, practically all of them left their families so they can work and support them and they do a great job and work very long hours and work hard so its only right to treat them with respect and if that means to give them extra money on top of the tipping guidelines, I know in my heart I have showed appreciation for all they do for me.

As others have said, I prefer to prepay my gratuities and beverage packages, so it is all paid for before we cruise. I have never taken off or reduced the automatic tips. I think there has been only one cruise that we didn't leave an additional tip for our room steward. In additional, if we spend more time in one bar with a bartender, we always leave a tip for him/her the last night of the cruise.

We are treated very well while on a cruise so tipping is never a problem with us.

I actually like the pre-paid tips--it's over, done, don't have to worry about it and I don't like hunting down people to give them tips at the end of the cruise, like we used to with the envelopes. It seemed elitist and phony.

We always leave extra for our room steward; not usually for wait staff unless we've had some extraordinary service.

Unfortunately there are some people who don't tip at all--I'd rather service charges were automatic so the cheaps can't get out of them.

I actually like the pre-paid tips--it's over, done, don't have to worry about it and I don't like hunting down people to give them tips at the end of the cruise, like we used to with the envelopes. It seemed elitist and phony.

We always leave extra for our room steward; not usually for wait staff unless we've had some extraordinary service.

Unfortunately there are some people who don't tip at all--I'd rather service charges were automatic so the cheaps can't get out of them.

Gratuities have been automatically added to guest accounts for over a year now.

My time dining

Hey thanks for that clarification. I always tip extra to staff that deserve it. My last cruise was via Princess and they offered the passengers an auto pay of $15/day or optional tipping. I went with the auto pay and tipped those workers who really worked well.

You guys, come on - we are being played. If people don't respond, perhaps he'll get bored and take his toys to another sandbox.

Hi Karen! How are you?

Bob! I head out in 3 weeks :D

MM..... I miss Redcard.... sometimes the occasional troll brightens up the 'what day is lobster?' threads :rolleyes:

Ok

Help me (slow learner)

Redcard?????

Thanks

Oh, we do pre pay tips, because it cuts down on our final tipping cost.

We still tip those bartenders, Conciernage when they assist us and go above and beyond.

Sea Ya

suppose its 4 people and you are going to a special restaurant and will tip there. maybe you hit the buffet once that day , is $48 in tips cheap?

It is still 'cheap' (using your word), the question you really have is ' Is it still fair?' and even if the question is about 'fairness' -- YES it is. The prepayed tips, in my mind go for every type of service around the ship that would need be done and in some way 'tipped for'. The waiter/bar person who picks up YOUR plate that was left in an inappropriate place.....every rotating wait staff member (and they ALL rotate through) who works in the WJ, every cabin attendant that may help YOUR cabin attendant, for some reason. It is not just for the 'simply identified' tipping.

I get wonderful service from all on the ship....maybe it is because I say 'hello' to them before they get a chance to say 'hello' to me -- regardless of whether they are my cabin attendant or part of the wait/bar staff....they could be cleaning a banister.....it is my demeanor, all the time. It goes far -- believe me.

Then those that I can tip additionally, I do, at the end of the cruise....and I am so happy to do it...because my vacation was terrific!

Refuse to tip? No. I believe the tip amount is reasonable.

Forced to tip with final payment because of My Time Dining is a big scam and a load of BS. I prefer being billed afterwards or using OBC for this just like people with fixed dining times. That's my only real gripe. I've never removed or reduced tips; I add cash to people I feel have earned extra, I just think RCI taking my tip money ahead of time is unfair.

In the game of life, when there is no incentive or rational reason to pay ahead of time for something I would rather be billed after the service. I don't get fooled by these mind games of having a smaller bill after the cruise. I haven't saved anything by paying up front, therefore I'd rather keep my money mine as long as practical.

Will I tip? Yes. Do I wish RCI treated guests with My Time Dining FAIRLY and EQUITABLY? ABSOLUTELY!

Gratuities have been automatically added to guest accounts for over a year now.

I realize this, and I'm ok with that. I'd rather gratuities were prepaid and then make it difficult to remove them. Ideally they would just be included in the base price of a cruise, but probably this isn't going to happen soon.

I do prefer to pay grats using OBC, if we have enough, which we usually do, so that is an advantage to being charged daily instead of prepaid.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I realize this, and I'm ok with that. I'd rather gratuities were prepaid and then make it difficult to remove them. Ideally they would just be included in the base price of a cruise, but probably this isn't going to happen soon.

While I have never removed my tips, I would stop sailing with RCI and cancel future reservations outside of penalty date if they stopped allowing people to remove or modify them.

I believe once that leverage is removed that service standards will drop because the guests will have no remaining options. When service staff know that a certain amount of payment is promised you will see "above and beyond" becoming much more infrequent. This is my opinion, you are free to feel however you want on the subject. I just feel that people who claim they want others not to be able to modify or remove the amount may just be shooting themselves in the foot if they ever got what they ask for.

Further, I have to know, if you are tipping the requested amount and "meeting your obligation", frankly, why do you care at all what someone else does? :confused:

Pre-paying without discount or incentive makes no financial sense whatsoever to me unless perhaps it puts you over some spending threshold on a credit card that would trigger a cash back reward sooner rather than later (which technically would be an incentive)

I don't quite get the infatuation some folks have with pre-paying everything either. But for those who like coming home to a zero balance on their credit cards there is nothing stopping them from paying extra into the card before the cruise and achieving the same goal of a zero balance upon returning home.

Forced to tip with final payment because of My Time Dining is a big scam and a load of BS. I prefer being billed afterwards or using OBC for this just like people with fixed dining times. That's my only real gripe. I've never removed or reduced tips; I add cash to people I feel have earned extra, I just think RCI taking my tip money ahead of time is unfair.

In the game of life, when there is no incentive or rational reason to pay ahead of time for something I would rather be billed after the service. I don't get fooled by these mind games of having a smaller bill after the cruise. I haven't saved anything by paying up front, therefore I'd rather keep my money mine as long as practical.

Will I tip? Yes. Do I wish RCI treated guests with My Time Dining FAIRLY and EQUITABLY? ABSOLUTELY!

I so agree! I think we should all have the option to use our OBC to pay tips. Why can't they just add it to our account like other cruise lines?

Well said i agree with this 100%,Have a a great next cruise. :)