When was the loud music problem solved

Loreni

I am a Princess cruiser trying to learn more about Celebrity. Several things have stopped me from trying Celebrity. One of them was the reports of loud music. I actually watched the Miami DJ video. I believe someone wrote that Celebrity actually put large speakers outside of the shops to blast music.

Anyway, now I am hearing that management has addressed this problem and music levels are more reasonable. Please let me know on what date this went into effect so that I can put the reviews in perspective. For example, if I read a review after this date that talks about loud music, it could mean that loud music has returned.

I've done six Celebrity cruises since 2010 and I've never witnessed anything like the things you've described, nor any loud music. I don't see Celebrity putting speakers outside shops to blast out music at all :eek: I know some have commented on loud music but it's never been a problem for me :)

Hi we went on the Equinox in April AFTER the complaints of loud music. We never had an issue with extremely loud music. It was appropriately loud. No one in our cruise critic group of 100 has come back to complain about Loud volumes either.

Some ships had certain issues at certain venues, but it seems to have resolved personally, I found the music on Princess to be about the same as Celebrity during the evening while walking past Explorer's lunge or Crooner's or the atrium

Same with Celebrity's atrium. The Martini bar plays techno euro music, but it was in no way played at an offensive volume EVER. A couple times it was louder, but that was from 11:30 on

The majority of complaints seemed to come from the Reflection, where the Miami DJs played. Many people enjoyed the Miami DJs.

I'm afraid music is inescapable when on a large cruise ship such as RCI, Princess and Celebrity, and don't book a cabin under pool deck, because Celebrity had deck parties at least 5 nights out of 10

Edited by 4cats4me

April 12, 2014 on Reflection, music was at decent levels with no huge speakers outside of shops. One morning, while at the Sunset bar, I overheard an officer asking the bartender to turn on the music but to keep it "down".

We just spent 21 days on Eclipse and the music level varied somewhat. Overall, the music was not as loud as we have heard it in the past (on both Silhouette and Solstice), but they definitely had very loud music outside the shops one day--so loud that one of those working in the shops said "I need to get that awful music stopped" and dispatched someone to handle it. Shortly after it was down to an acceptable level.

I don't find it ironic at all. If she was completely satisfied with Princess, she would not be looking to switch.

And MUTS is at the pool, right? It's not in the middle of the ship, indoors, where there is no escaping it.

I don't think the loud music issue ever existed, other than in some peoples head. We've done about two Celebrity cruises a year for the past few years with no noise issues. Take the complaints on here with a huge grain of salt!

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

In my opinion, it hasn't been solved, but it has been improved.

On Solstice in March and April, the music in the atrium was played so loudly that the bridge players in the card room several floor up had to ask that tables be set up in one of the empty conference rooms because they couldn't hear each others bids.

One morning there were two of us sitting, reading, in an otherwise empty Sky Lounge. A member of the staff came in and put music on, loud, jarring, "energetic" music. We asked if it couldn't be turned down, and replaced with something more conducive to reading. Were told that it had to be that way and could not be adjusted and to try the Ensemble Lounge if we wanted a quiet place to read. We moved there, and about a half an hour later the same person showed up there and put the same loud music on!

Loudspeakers were set up outside the shops each afternoon, and into the evening, with the same mix tape. The beat was unmistakable. Must be the new Celebrity theme music.

But, poolside, the band was never intolerable. The live music in the atrium area was fine, as was the live music in Ensemble. So, there is some improvement.

Never existed- that was just one ridicolous comment- of course it existed and to some degree it still does. It may have not bothered the cruiser who stated that almost rude comment - but as the previous poster said it has not been solved it has improved A LITTLE! Never existed- joke of the day! All those many cruisers who complained about the loud music - that was not just in our head´s- and I consider my head still as function to my satisfaction! ( I don´t imagine " Things " - that is an ordeal yet to come)

On Solstice in March and April, the music in the atrium was played so loudly that the bridge players in the card room several floor up had to ask that tables be set up in one of the empty conference rooms because they couldn't hear each others bids.

One morning there were two of us sitting, reading, in an otherwise empty Sky Lounge. A member of the staff came in and put music on, loud, jarring, "energetic" music. We asked if it couldn't be turned down, and replaced with something more conducive to reading. Were told that it had to be that way and could not be adjusted and to try the Ensemble Lounge if we wanted a quiet place to read. We moved there, and about a half an hour later the same person showed up there and put the same loud music on!

Loudspeakers were set up outside the shops each afternoon, and into the evening, with the same mix tape. The beat was unmistakable. Must be the new Celebrity theme music.

But, poolside, the band was never intolerable. The live music in the atrium area was fine, as was the live music in Ensemble. So, there is some improvement.

This won't work for us.

And our experience in April was quite different on Equinox. Sky lounge is a nightclub which is empty during the day, so you really have to go out of your way to even find it. There are plenty of places to sit quietly to escape music

The only kind of music that was piped in that we ever heard in the public areas was the same track, and it was mellow music. In fact, so mellow and boring it nearly put me to sleep. Nora jones at the inside pool. Nora jones at the buffet zzzzzz

I don't think the loud music issue ever existed, other than in some peoples head. We've done about two Celebrity cruises a year for the past few years with no noise issues. Take the complaints on here with a huge grain of salt!

Hi, yes it did exist on certain sailings. Maybe you were on those

cruises that had no issues. I also cruise with Celebrity 2 to 3 times

a year and my most recent sailing was back in February on CENTURY

and there were definitely issues. I love the Martini Bar but

when you have to yell at the person sitting across from you so

you could hear each other? To me, that is an issue. I stopped

going there since they refused to lower the volume (after asking

politely).

When I sail Reflection in November hopefully it will be a non-issue.

But it definitely wasn't just in my head.

There was never a problem as far as I'm concerned. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the current vibe on Celebrity. No this is not your Grandmothers HAL or Cunard.;).

You should get out more.;)

There was a major thread in which one of the CDs stated that if you did not like the loud music it was time to move on.

There have been more frequent cruisers posting negative comments about loud music than the hand full of infrequent cruisers that love the no longer current vibe you love.

On our recent Solstice cruise we did not notice intrusive loud music in various venues. Only Top Notch playing in the atrium would have rocked the place with a variety of dance music.

When we were on Eclipse in January, loud music was not an issue in the areas we frequented (we don't spend time around the pool)

Only on Century did the martini bar turn up the volume to prevent any conversation and many patrons went elsewhere.

Celebrity has turned down the volume, at least on four of the ships we have cruised over the last six months.

Your experience may differ especially if you have been on ships other than the four above.

I agree. I don't like MUTS. But I can avoid it very easily. I have read here that loud music is hard to avoid on Celebrity even in the library.

Nope, not hard to avoid loud music at all on Celebrity There are many places around the ship that are quiet, especially out on the upper decks. MUTS is around the pool. But, that is where many people want to be on sea days, and it IS hard to avoid. Not only is it noisy, but it is also distracting, especially when a sporting event is broadcast. Not everyone is addicted to watching sports. Not very relaxing at all. My one and only Princess cruise was just OK, with food service and overall atmosphere adequate at best. That MUTS thing certainly did not help.

Your experience may differ especially if you have been on ships other than the four above.

They could be on the same ships/cruises, but what they are saying (which I agree with) is that the volume of the music didn't bother them. Just a difference of opinion; some feel it is too loud and others feel that it is at the perfect level. Neither side is wrong, just as neither side is right; just a different opinion. On one cruise, one poster reported ear splitting music, while another on the same cruise, said there were not problems with it; again, just a difference in one's likes and dislikes.

The problem with statements that the music on Celebrity is "too loud" is that it's so subjective. I've been in restaurants (on land), where I thought the music was fine and others at my table were so annoyed, they were trying to get the manager to turn it down. I've also been in the reverse situation where I felt I was being blasted out by music and others around me were fine.

I don't recall my 1 cruise on the Reflection being louder than any other cruise I sailed on. It's tough to tell if the poster's definition of loud and yours would be the same. I doubt they have the same Princess experiences as you to provide a reliable baseline. It's possible that if they'd sailed on the same cruises you've been on, that they would have thought those were too loud as well, where you were fine with it.

Please let me know on what date this went into effect so that I can put the reviews in perspective. For example, if I read a review after this date that talks about loud music, it could mean that loud music has returned.

The change was made in late March/early April.

Note that dates may differ in that range on different ships.

I was on the Reflection's trans-Atlantic that sailed from April 26 to May 12 and the music was never too loud and we were in all the different venues during this cruise. I was apprehensive from the reports I'd read here as well....but the Martini Bar and the Sunset Bar and the Sky Lounge (our three favorites) had perfectly normal levels of music. No problem for a conversation.

Edited by helen haywood

Noticed on Solstice but usually it was only between 5 -7 in the Atrium when the band was playing, and sometimes there after 10pm when they had a DJ event.

Hi, yes it did exist on certain sailings. Maybe you were on those cruises that had no issues. I also cruise with Celebrity 2 to 3 times a year and my most recent sailing was back in February on CENTURY and there were definitely issues.

I love the Martini Bar but when you have to yell at the person sitting across from you so you could hear each other? To me, that is an issue. I stopped going there since they refused to lower the volume (after asking politely).

We just had the same experience on the Silhouette transatlantic. :(

I used to absolutely LOVE the Martini Bar! :D

The incredible variety of wonderfully tasty drinks, the lively atmosphere of people cheering/clapping for the bartenders when a large flight of martinis was successfully poured, the live music from the party band on deck three in the atrium, the perfect place to meet friends and enjoy each others company.

But now, as soon as the party band stops playing, the stupidly loud, obnoxiously repetitive techno music (boots 'n' pants 'n' boots 'n' pants 'n' boots 'n' pants) starts.

When you have to SHOUT at the person sitting RIGHT NEXT to you to be heard, THAT most certainly *I*S* a problem, and I now leave the venue.

Now, before some contemporary music fan chimes in with "The music's is NOT too loud, YOU'RE too old," I have been to my share of concerts and absolutely LOVE loud music... sometimes. I do NOT expect everyone else around me to loose any opportunity to enjoy any other activity.

Both S class AND M class ships are large enough, with MULTIPLE different venues, that almost ANYONE and EVERYONE could find a place where they could be comfortable with the music and the volume. I have seen multiple times, DOZENS to a HUNDRED guests literally scrambling to vacate a venue to escape the much too loud music. The people in charge of this issue at Celebrity are FAILING so thoroughly, they should be completely embarrassed and ashamed at the level of their incompetence.

And YES there most definitely IS a very small group, (usually 15-30) who absolutely LOVE the atmosphere that I loathe. I have to wonder, though, just how many MORE people run away... like I now do.

I wonder if anyone from Celebrity has ever noticed the description of the Sky Lounge on their own website "a quiet refuge by day for gazing over the sea". Hmmmmmm?

An absolutely outstanding observation /comment. ;)

I have, on NUMEROUS occasions, waited for the staff to leave, then reached over to turn down the master volume. Not off, not way down, but to a level that no longer PRECLUDES ANY OTHER ACTIVITY.

If the staff (and other posters) want to spank me for that, so be it.

Edited by teecee60

They could be on the same ships/cruises, but what they are saying (which I agree with) is that the volume of the music didn't bother them. Just a difference of opinion; some feel it is too loud and others feel that it is at the perfect level. Neither side is wrong, just as neither side is right; just a different opinion. On one cruise, one poster reported ear splitting music, while another on the same cruise, said there were not problems with it; again, just a difference in one's likes and dislikes.

This is just not true. I've been on 3 to 5 cruises a year for quite a while and on some ships the volume has been loud but reasonable and others have been so loud you can't hear the person right next to you. I think the issue was addressed about mid March so the music has been tempered somewhat.

Do you really think that there are many people who love the music so loud you can't even hear someone who is yelling in your ear?

It had nothing to do with taste, it was just too loud on some ships.

When I was in the guitar store a couple of weeks ago looking at guitars for my grandson, there was someone playing a guitar that wasn't very loud. I was trying to ask a very nice young man ,about 30, about possible lessons for my grandson. He had to go into another room so he could hear me. He said his hearing was bad because he's been playing gigs for a while.

Edited by Ma Bell

Hi, yes it did exist on certain sailings. Maybe you were on those

cruises that had no issues. I also cruise with Celebrity 2 to 3 times

a year and my most recent sailing was back in February on CENTURY

and there were definitely issues. I love the Martini Bar but

when you have to yell at the person sitting across from you so

you could hear each other? To me, that is an issue. I stopped

going there since they refused to lower the volume (after asking

politely).

We were on the Century May 10 to 18, 2014 and went to the Martini bar every night for a martini before dinner (sometimes two martinis). We didn't have any issues with the music level. As one poster has said, the word "loud" is very subjective. Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

We were on the Century May 10 to 18, 2014 and went to the Martini bar every night for a martini before dinner (sometimes two martinis). We didn't have any issues with the music level. As one poster has said, the word "loud" is very subjective. Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

So if it was so loud you couldn't hear someone standing right next to you and yelling in your ear that would be OK? I have absolutely no hearing problems.