Regals room service and Alfredo fees now pulled

antsp

Just read on the Princess Facebook page that they are stopping the new fees for the time being. My thoughts anyone on cc and Facebook needs to comment on princess Facebook page and hammer them with some thoughts on these new changes.

This is a copy of the post

After 26 cruises with Princess, I'm very disheartened to hear about the new room service fees. If the room service quality was equivalent to that if a hotel, maybe--but I can get a full, hot breakfast on other lines, and not pay anything for it. I think Celebrity has you beat.

Like · · 35 minutes ago near Aliso Viejo, CA, United States

Shreddie Shred likes this.

Princess Cruises Hi Todd, we appreciate your feedback regarding our room service. We've listened to our valued guests and Facebook fans. Based on the feedback, for the time being both room service and Alfredo’s pizzeria charges being trialed on Regal Princess will be halted. We acknowledge we need to provide our guests prior notification of any such changes to our onboard experience, and we promise to do this in the future.

Like · Reply · 1 · 25 minutes ago

Edited by antsp

So it is rescinded "for the time being." Any thoughts on how soon (if ever) they will try to reinstate it?

Maybe we should start a pool. By Wednesday of next week, they will pull another bogus charge out of the bag...

Is "trialed" a word? LOL.

HA!!! 'Trialed"!! Baloney ... talk about a euphemism for "we're gonna do it no matter how our loyal cruisers feel"! Princess management already knows they are going to reinstate those fees, once the temporary recision time period has passed.

After the dust settles a little, a notice will be publicized by Princess, and the fee will be reinstated, and, we know, almost certainly instituted fleet-wide too. Over the years I have read so many complaining posts on CC about Princess' "nickeling and diming" practices, but it appears that it is just going to get worse.

One way or another, they are gonna stick us with it, plus however many others they can dream up ..... much like the airlines. Fees for "this, that and another thing" get instituted, and if we want to fly, we pay, and they earn multiple MILLIONS from those fees. Looks like cruising on Princess is heading that way too, so they too can reap millions more.

I'm disappointed in Princess. I thought they were of a better class than that. I'm one of those who would rather pay an extra $50 or so for my fare, and not have these fees tacked on.

I'm one of those who would rather pay an extra $50 or so for my fare, and not have these fees tacked on.

Totally agree.

Unfortunately Princess will not be the only one doing this, I'm sure other cruiselines (much like the airlines) will end up doing the same thing. :(

Let us hope that this is truly the result of Princess reading and listening to the comments and suggestions posted by their valued customers. Without a doubt, the best ideas will come from those that actually use the product and not from some pencil-necked geeks who are told their mission is to cut costs - at any price.

I received this response to my post on Facebook. I asked, if we will now be charged for room service will we be able to order from the MDR menu?

Hi Carolyn, we've listened to our valued guests and Facebook fans, and based on the feedback, for the time being the room service charges being trialed on Regal Princess will be halted. We hope that you will continue to enjoy the fine cuisine in our dining rooms, as well as our separate room service menu.

Just read on the Princess Facebook page that they are stopping the new fees for the time being. My thoughts anyone on cc and Facebook needs to comment on princess Facebook page and hammer them with some thoughts on these new changes.

So we should respond to Princess listening to our complaints and making the change by continuing to complain and "hammer" them?

I'm thinking a "thank you for listening to our concerns" might go a bit further, rather than showing them that nothing they do will please a certain segment of their customer base. Just a thought.

So we should respond to Princess listening to our complaints and making the change by continuing to complain and "hammer" them?

I'm thinking a "thank you for listening to our concerns" might go a bit further, rather than showing them that nothing they do will please a certain segment of their customer base. Just a thought.

I agree with you. Thank them and let them know we appreciate that they did listen to the comments that were posted

I received the same FB reply about the charges "being pulled" etc. What they'll probably do now is inform everyone in some method BEFOREHAND, rather than the way they slid them in on the Regal. My bet is that just because they "halted" their Regal charges doesn't mean they're done. They will simply pull back, re-group, and announce these new nickel-and-dime charges soon. So while they re-group, we loyal Princess folks should continue with our feedback.

I believe the outrage has been twofold: The nickel-dime charge(s) to begin with, and the way they were implemented. They're fixing the implementation, but what about the charges themselves?

If we loyal Princess cruisers are unhappy about this, then keep up the FB posts on the Princess page, emails, etc. to let them know that this is NOT the Princess Cruise reputation we all have come to enjoy. Continue to let them know how we feel, or that we'd prefer a small fare ($50 was mentioned) increase to cover it. Again, it's the principle and definitely not what we all have enjoyed about Princess for many years.

Get ready everyone....my bet is that these charges will go fleet-wide with announcement as soon as they put it together....unless we keep our displeasure known.:mad:

I received the same FB reply about the charges "being pulled" etc. What they'll probably do now is inform everyone in some method BEFOREHAND, rather than the way they slid them in on the Regal. My bet is that just because they "halted" their Regal charges doesn't mean they're done. They will simply pull back, re-group, and announce these new nickel-and-dime charges soon. So while they re-group, we loyal Princess folks should continue with our feedback.

I believe the outrage has been twofold: The nickel-dime charge(s) to begin with, and the way they were implemented. They're fixing the implementation, but what about the charges themselves?

If we loyal Princess cruisers are unhappy about this, then keep up the FB posts on the Princess page, emails, etc. to let them know that this is NOT the Princess Cruise reputation we all have come to enjoy. Continue to let them know how we feel, or that we'd prefer a small fare ($50 was mentioned) increase to cover it. Again, it's the principle and definitely not what we all have enjoyed about Princess for many years.

Get ready everyone....my bet is that these charges will go fleet-wide with announcement as soon as they put it together....unless we keep our displeasure known.:mad:

I would expect that just as many if not more would prefer the fees to a increase in the base fare. At least with the fees you have the option to use the service and incur the fee or not, just as with many existing fees and services offered.

Princess is now aware that we are unhappy with the way the charges were implemented and secondly, the charges themselves.

It is smart of them to pull back and temporarily withdraw the charges and it's nice that they appear to listen to our concerns.

However, as soon as the bean counters and the spin docs can think of a way to give us the corporate "sunshine enema," we will see the charges again.

However, as soon as the bean counters and the spin docs can think of a way to give us the corporate "sunshine enema," we will see the charges again.

Now about my monitor that I just spit tea all over.:rolleyes:

What about the part of charging for drink mixers? Was that just a rumor or did Princess actually say they planned to charge for the mix in a cocktail?

Mike

I would expect that just as many if not more would prefer the fees to a increase in the base fare. At least with the fees you have the option to use the service and incur the fee or not, just as with many existing fees and services offered.

Agree 100% RDC! Why raise the fare....I rarely use room service and let it be my decision if I want to eat at a pay venue!!

Try not to flood the Facebook page with too much complaints. After all, nonrelated feedback or questions for other Princess Cruise ships still need to be answered :D

Look at these now tabled new charges as a method to gain additional revenue. The cost for serving a meal in Alfredo's as opposed to the MDR must be lower. So the accounting page shows additional revenue plus an additional cost saving. A similar situation occurs with room service, and most likely the number of room service waiters can be reduced because of lower demand., resulting in additional cost savings. To my way of thinking this isn't the way to improve on board revenue, and to operate a "vacation of a lifetime" company. Another example is how they recently down graded their bath soap and shampoo. At some point fares will have to be raised.

The same one.

I replied it was not safe for 3000 to be carrying hot coffee and tea on a moving ship to their cabins to avoid a $3 charge.

Which is true......

Edited by kruisey

why should we pay $ 50.00 increase per cruise ($100.00 per couple or $200.00 per family of 4 ) to please a small number of passengers. if I wanted to go to alfredos as in the past,I went one time each on past cruises . even if they recinded it would have cost $20.00 as opposed to $100.00 . at that moment I would have made the decision go or no. the econ. are there. we never have room service. if you use it be prepared to pay for it.

Totally agree.

Unfortunately Princess will not be the only one doing this, I'm sure other cruiselines (much like the airlines) will end up doing the same thing. :(

I believe you are right....there are so many fees that the cruise lines can start unbundling and charge for just like the airlines have done. The extra fees made the airlines very profitable again and it is an easy source of new income for cruise lines to start charging for what used to be free. I wish they would charge for the shows so that people could buy an assigned seat and not have to go through all the shenanigans that go on with just trying to get a seat in a Princess theater. We would gladly pay for that.....