Taking food from the ship at ports?

Fog123

I thought I saw somewhere that HAL won't let you take food from the ship to eat at the various excursion ports.

How do they go about checking? Are our bags searched as we disembark?

We had been planning on taking fruit from the room and maybe a cookie or two as munchies, particularly on the Tracy Arm excursion where they say food is limited or at a cost.

Is there anything else that we aren't allowed to take off ship?

I assume our bags are searched getting back on the ship because of alcohol, but I'm also assuming we can bring food back on the ship.

Feel free to correct me and thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Food and open packages are not permitted of at any port due to government rules, it isn't a HAL thing. If you smuggle it and are caught you will be potentially punished by law enforcement depending on how serious the issue is. Fruit is a big no no since it can transport many insects that may not be native to the port you're docked in. The only safe items to take off shore are factory sealed ones, such as protein bars or boxes of cereal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It is not HAL.. It is USDA laws!

HAL is considered a foreign country/carrier when in U.S. waters & no one can take food off the ship in U.S. waters..

If the cookies are commercially wrapped (not in your wrapping) you can do so, but no fruit or other foods are permitted..

There are big fines & you are subject to be removed from the ship if you do!

Check out these WEB sites: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_international/sa_travel?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_resources%2Fsa_traveler%2Fct_general_allowed_food_items

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_international/sa_travel

Edited by serendipity1499

By the way, I posted this a while back but it is worth repeating:

Quote:

Originally Posted by we're sailing away.... View Post

Taking food off the ship is prohibited.

Not only food.. Don't try to get off the ship in an Alaskan port with anything you purchase even in Alaska, without declaring it.. Psgrs. on Foreign Flag Carriers must clear Customs in order to Mail Packages Home! We purchased gifts "all made in Alaska" ..

In 2008, we sailed on the Veendam from Seward to YVR & heard we could mail a package for $9.00..The U.S. Post Office is only a block from the HAL dock in Ketchikan.. However, The P.O. box was too small so we went to a Business supply store & got a larger box w/sealing tape & went back to the ship to pack it up.. In it were Christmas gifts, including 2 Ulu Knives & boards, a native doll, a Fur vest & some of our own clothes which we no longer needed...

On disembarking the ship with our sealed box, we were stopped by HAL’s Security Officer, who informed us that we must clear U.S. Customs. The U.S. Customs Agents had previously been at the ship, but had already left...

We were stunned & could not understand why this was so, since we were U.S. citizens who purchased these items for our personal use or gifts for Family & Friends in the U.S.. We were mailing them from a U.S. Port to our home address in the U.S. The Security Officer had us consult with the Port Agent who would either drive us to Customs or call the Customs Agents on the phone..

Fortunately, while we were talking to the Port Agent a U.S. Customs Officer was still at the dock, overheard our conversation & offered to assist..

He was a nice young Man who explained that HAL was a Foreign Flag Carrier & we were in effect in a foreign country while on board. If the HAL Security Officer had permitted us to take the items off the ship without clearing Customs, HAL could be fined as much as $15,000 per person...

We obtained a Customs Form from the Ship, presented it to the U.S. Customs Officer who then cleared our package for mailing home...

On final disembarkation in YVR, the Canadian Customs Agent specifically asked if we had mailed anything home & when we said yes, wanted to know the contents of the package. We couldn’t quite remember everything we put in the box, but she cleared us through anyway…

Our parcel post package, arrived about 2 weeks later..Unquote

Good to know. I had assumed that since we had cleared US customs and that Alaska was part of the US that we wouldn't be considered smuggling. Sort of like how you can buy fruit in airport in Canada when you go through US customs at the airport in Canada and then can debark in the US wherever your flight takes you.

We're very law abiding folks, I'll make sure I bring suitable packaged snacks in our luggage. I'm the type short gets a bit cranky when the blood sugar starts to drop.

Better to know beforehand. Thanks for the help.

Good to know. I had assumed that since we had cleared US customs and that Alaska was part of the US that we wouldn't be considered smuggling. Sort of like how you can buy fruit in airport in Canada when you go through US customs at the airport in Canada and then can debark in the US wherever your flight takes you.

We're very law abiding folks, I'll make sure I bring suitable packaged snacks in our luggage. I'm the type short gets a bit cranky when the blood sugar starts to drop.

Better to know beforehand. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure I follow this. I know that I can't take fruit thru US customs in Calgary when I'm going to the USA unless it's dried fruit that is sealed.

A few years ago we did some shopping while we were in Ketchikan as our neighbors wanted a couple of items.

Rather than hauling them in our suitcases, we just went from the store to the post office and mailed the items to them -- not a problem. I did the same thing in St Thomas once. It is never a problem as long as you don't get back on the ship and then back off to mail something.

And what about the parents bringing milk off the ships for kids? I see it all the time, not necessarily HAL, but it was obvious and did not appear to be an issue...

Good discussion topic and nice reference link from Serendipity.

Buy some sealed snack crackers at home and pack them in your suitcase.

DH has many medications to take so I always take a couple of packages of the sealed snack crackers with us when we know that we may not be handy to getting something quick to eat.

You can bring as much food back onto the ship as you want to -- no limits -- and it doesn't even have to be sealed -- like fudge in Ketchikan (http://ketchicandies.com/fudges/) or in Skagway (http://www.yelp.com/biz/alaskan-fudge-company-skagway)

Or in Sitka (http://sitka-flowers.com/)

Or Juneau (http://alaskanfudge.com/)

I'm not sure I follow this. I know that I can't take fruit thru US customs in Calgary when I'm going to the USA unless it's dried fruit that is sealed.

I think he/she may be referring to fruit purchased after going through customs. That would be okay because it is already considered to be in the US prior to purchase.

I think he/she may be referring to fruit purchased after going through customs. That would be okay because it is already considered to be in the US prior to purchase.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too but that's not what was said. Either that or I've misread it.

Buy some sealed snack crackers at home and pack them in your suitcase.

DH has many medications to take so I always take a couple of packages of the sealed snack crackers with us when we know that we may not be handy to getting something quick to eat.

You can bring as much food back onto the ship as you want to -- no limits -- and it doesn't even have to be sealed -- like fudge in Ketchikan (http://ketchicandies.com/fudges/) or in Skagway (http://www.yelp.com/biz/alaskan-fudge-company-skagway)

Or in Sitka (http://sitka-flowers.com/)

Or Juneau (http://alaskanfudge.com/)

And lobster rolls in Bar Harbor, fried clams in Boston, smoked meat sandwiches in Montreal...... :D :) We have brought back these foods for friends.

Sorry for the confusion, it appears that I should have said "after" instead of "when" in the statement below, which is actually from above, about buying fruit in the airport.

"Good to know. I had assumed that since we had cleared US customs and that Alaska was part of the US that we wouldn't be considered smuggling. Sort of like how you can buy fruit in airport in Canada WHEN you go through US customs at the airport in Canada and then can debark in the US wherever your flight takes you."

In some Canadian airports, mine in particular, we actually clear US customs at the airport. Once we're clear customs we are considered on American soil. We don't generally have to go through customs when we get off the plane again (some exceptions apply). Any fruit that we buy after clearing customs is considered safe since it was technically bought in the US.

I had assumed that the same process applied to HAL, but you know what they say about making assumptions ☺. And I'm way better off to have asked the question here than to have found out the hard way.

Krazy Kruisers, thanks for the link to the fudge places. They will definitely get checked out. 😊

What I'm really after though is chocolate mint M&Ms. You can't buy them in Canada. Can I buy them in Alaska? I will likely ask that question on the Alaska board.

Fog is my cat's name, by the way, and I'm a she.

Sorry for the confusion, it appears that I should have said "after" instead of "when" in the statement below, which is actually from above, about buying fruit in the airport.

"Good to know. I had assumed that since we had cleared US customs and that Alaska was part of the US that we wouldn't be considered smuggling. Sort of like how you can buy fruit in airport in Canada WHEN you go through US customs at the airport in Canada and then can debark in the US wherever your flight takes you."

In some Canadian airports, mine in particular, we actually clear US customs at the airport. Once we're clear customs we are considered on American soil. We don't generally have to go through customs when we get off the plane again (some exceptions apply). Any fruit that we buy after clearing customs is considered safe since it was technically bought in the US.

I had assumed that the same process applied to HAL, but you know what they say about making assumptions ☺. And I'm way better off to have asked the question here than to have found out the hard way.

Krazy Kruisers, thanks for the link to the fudge places. They will definitely get checked out. 😊

What I'm really after though is chocolate mint M&Ms. You can't buy them in Canada. Can I buy them in Alaska? I will likely ask that question on the Alaska board.

Fog is my cat's name, by the way, and I'm a she.

AK. Ports do not check your bags when getting off the ship for food!

Not talking about fruit but I put cookies & crackers in a bag for kids

Carried in plain view! No has stopped us. Always have candy in my purse.

Other cruise lines will pack a lunch box for guests if requested (Crystal, for instance) with sandwiches and chips and fruit ... so taking food off clearly isn't always illegal.

It's up to the country the ship is visiting, and is mainly related to such things as fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. Although there are some countries, New Zealand and Australia are two examples I experienced, where it is much stricter.

It's up to the country the ship is visiting, and is mainly related to such things as fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. Although there are some countries, New Zealand and Australia are two examples I experienced, where it is much stricter.

It does depend, just stating for OP it isn't outlawed universally. :)

And what about the parents bringing milk off the ships for kids? I see it all the time, not necessarily HAL, but it was obvious and did not appear to be an issue...

Good discussion topic and nice reference link from Serendipity.

Like sealed crackers and cereal, the milk boxes are also closed. If they were opened, they would not be allowed off the ship.

Yes they are in Alaska no one cares. Were on the same cruise with you.

Really? From what I understand, open packages of food aren't allowed off the ship.

Have you joined our roll call? It's getting close!!

Like sealed crackers and cereal, the milk boxes are also closed. If they were opened, they would not be allowed off the ship.

I thought sealed Milk would have been OK too, but not according the USDA Link provided.

Our bags were searched last month in Puerto Vallarta as we disembarked. They were checking for food. They also checked us upon disembarking in one other Mexican port but I can't remember which one. That port had a food sniffing dog.

In Puerto Vallarta the Mexican officials also checked our bags as we re entered the port area but at that point I suspect they were looking for something other than food. ;)

Edited by sapper1