Taking food from the ship at ports?

Fog123

I doubt it's anything to do with the bears - I have black bears come through my property nightly' date=' we keep our garbage in the garage - they go for the berries, and whatever else is around. Seriously, during the day locals, I am sure, don't worry about carrying snacks around. Having said that, I can't see any reason to ever take food off the ship.[/quote']

I stand corrected - it was something I read in a review from last year :rolleyes:

there was a woman attacked last month while running at Elmendorf AFB....wrong place wrong time, not related to food - just an irritated mama bear.

If I were the food police, I'd say sure to the cans of soda and are you kidding to the munchies. :D

I totally agree, there is more than enough food on the ship. When we had a cabana on HMC the cleaning crews came about 2:30 and took everything we hadn't used. I was with 3 teenagers and we scooped some of the veggies and dips onto paper plates so they could enjoy them with the sodas at the cabana before leaving the beach. I was surprised at how early they came to clean everything away.

I totally agree, there is more than enough food on the ship. When we had a cabana on HMC the cleaning crews came about 2:30 and took everything we hadn't used. I was with 3 teenagers and we scooped some of the veggies and dips onto paper plates so they could enjoy them with the sodas at the cabana before leaving the beach. I was surprised at how early they came to clean everything away.

What time was all aboard? They really can't wait until the last minute.

As a diabetic, if I go off on an afternoon excursion, I always bring a box of Cheerios. It's a "just in case" thing as I never know when my levels will drop too low. I want to be prepared.

I can imagine there are others in similar situations.

Diabetic here too - I take a granola bar with me everywhere.

[quote name='Purvis1231']It is funny that the ships bring food off (cookies and drinks) while in port for VIP areas and at Half Moon Cay they bring a tons of food off.[/QUOTE]

Half Moon Cay is owned by the cruise line - a bit of a different scenario than a regular port.

The VIP areas you refer to are usually in the terminal so the food is still not going into the actual port but in a contained area. Traditionally now, if the ship is late for embarkation due to Noro clean up or whatever they only offer granola bars to the waiting guests which are sealed for that very reason.

[B]I have heard of ships sending food ashore into terminals when there was a very delayed embarkation...... but that likely was before the severe cuts we have observed.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I have heard of ships sending food ashore into terminals when there was a very delayed embarkation...... but that likely was before the severe cuts we have observed.

[/B][/QUOTE]

No they must still do this by Law

Section 765-23-1

Passengers must go no longer than 37 minutes without ingesting something.

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]As someone who has been known on more than one occasion to carry an unopened mini cereal box :eek: or a granola bar with me when leaving the ship, my comments below are not to judge right or wrong. I just came across something cleaning a desk drawer that was interesting (and obviously misfiled).

[I][U]May 2011 - Seattle Disembarkation Information - 2 page document received in our stateroom on the Amsterdam. It was done in Q&A format.[/U][/I]

Q:[COLOR="Red"] Can I bring food ashore[/COLOR]?

A: It is unlawful to carry fruits, vegetables, plants, meats, meat products or other organic products off the ship. This regulation is strictly enforced by the [U]U.S. Department of Agriculture[/U] and anyone caught in violation may be subject to severe penalties.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] Edited by Linda&Vern

Interesting. I wonder who made it illegal to take food off the ship. Was it HAL?
I have been following a number of blogs from various world cruisers, other than HAL. It is interesting that one of cruisers would routinely have a box lunch made up for him when leaving the ship. The cruise line was Crystal. Maybe it's different "laws" for different cruise lines.?????
Just sayin'
Terri

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']Interesting. I wonder who made it illegal to take food off the ship. Was it HAL?
I have been following a number of blogs from various world cruisers, other than HAL. It is interesting that one of cruisers would routinely have a box lunch made up for him when leaving the ship. The cruise line was Crystal. Maybe it's different "laws" for different cruise lines.?????
Just sayin'
Terri[/QUOTE]

it maybe different rules for different cruise lines. Maybe Alaska doesn't want the cruisers bring noro off the ship into port with the food.
Alot of companies have different rules. Starbucks - don't take your gun in there - Whataburger - come on in pardner, help keep our customers safe.
How about no shirt no shoes no service vs come as you are
Some football stadiums scan all purses/bags not all arenas do that. Some high schools do as well, but not all.
I figure - we have a choice, if we feel their rules [about anything] are too restrictive, there are other options. Concentrate on the things we have control or influence over, everything else is just brain drain!! IMO, somethings are just not worth worrying my pretty little head over. Taking food vs buying a candy bar in town - so completely not worth tossing my curls around!

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']Interesting. I wonder who made it illegal to take food off the ship. Was it HAL?
I have been following a number of blogs from various world cruisers, other than HAL. It is interesting that one of cruisers would routinely have a box lunch made up for him when leaving the ship. The cruise line was Crystal. Just sayin'
Terri[/QUOTE]

Your's isn't the first post that indicates Crystal makes box lunches for those going ashore. I hate to say that is so without having further confirmation. But sadly, it is probably true. If word gets out that the Crystal ships actually do that, lunch basket thing, woe be their standing.

Did you catch my post #52 on this very subject? If I find out that this is indeed fact, then there is not going to much sympathy from me, for the entire industry, when it comes to arguing with my brethren that Alaska was not better off with the "newlywed, overfed and nearly dead". Edited by kennicott
spelling

The rules are set by the locality or country. It's mostly about pests. (If you have been to Hawaii, you've probably seen the scanners.) There are cruise lines that supply box lunches in some ports. If you value the box lunches highly then it probably makes sense to book with Crystal or Silversea. I don't think that's the thrust of this thread....

[SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma]I think some of the "rules" being quoted apply to a different situation. When you reenter the US from a foreign port, by ship or air, you go thru Customs, USDA, and Immigration. You hand in the form, which has sections about purchases for Customs, sections about fruit, meat, farm animal exposure, plants with soil, for USDA, and passport info for Immigration.

You do not go thru this procedure for port stops in Alaska - you walk off the ship, and no one checks anything. Same for most stops in Europe. Some have quoted about stops in Mexico being an issue, so they must have some regulations that we must adhere to. But for the most part, taking food off the ship is not really "forbidden" in most countries. It is a legend quoted by those looking at rules of USDA for final reentry to US on disembarkation.

I don't think there is an issue in Alaska, as the OP asked about. One would need to use caution and not take food on a hike in the woods or a trip to an animal compound = bears. Same caution on an African trip to a game preserve. But in town? Some tour operators who forbid food are probably doing so because they do not want to have to cleans their buses or boats of the associated trash from "picnic" lunches or deal with the food odors?

Our tablemates on Baltic cruise were a really neat, but frugal, couple. Each day they did DIY at ports using public transport. And each day they packed a sandwich, fruit, cookies, etc, from the Lido and put it in their backpacks for lunch. One day only, did they not do this, and bought a $6 pizza ashore. No one from the ship or the host countries blinked, or checked, or cared. They just missed the great opportunity of travel - tasting foods from other lands. On our Med cruise last August, we were at the peak of tomato season. I wouldn't have missed those local lunchtime salads we had ashore for anything. The tomatoes on the ship sucked in comparison. Obviously, HAL was not buying local. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Another thought - HAL discourages the practice because it uses up more food? They do not figure large lunch crowds on port days in their food provisions - but if everyone packed a lunch bag, it would affect their food usage.

But is it really "forbidden" in most places? Who knows? But it seems to be a common practice.

Posters keep using the term "rules". What's involved are the country's agricultural LAWS - some of them with heavy fines / penalties attached if you're caught.

In virtually every port we've visited there are bins just off the ship full of bananas, apples, etc. that folks have brought off the ship - in spite of all the signs both on the ship and off that say not to do it.

No need to attack. I, for one, enjoy trying the local foods in the various ports. It is part of the experience.
I was just making the observation that all cruise lines do not adhere to the so-called "laws," if, in fact they actually exist.
Terri

[quote name='kazu']Half Moon Cay is owned by the cruise line - a bit of a different scenario than a regular port.

The VIP areas you refer to are usually in the terminal so the food is still not going into the actual port but in a contained area. Traditionally now, if the ship is late for embarkation due to Noro clean up or whatever they only offer granola bars to the waiting guests which are sealed for that very reason.[/QUOTE]
Interesting reply... I wonder if the authorities have the ship do something special to the fruit being brought a-shore or just don't care? I am sure the bugs don't know to stay in the "contained area". Edited by Sam.Seattle

[quote name='CobbClan']Is this why the room service menu lists "sliced banana" so you can't take a whole banana with you?[/QUOTE]

I always cross out "sliced" and mark the menu "whole". They always give me a whole one. Not that I take it ashore---just wanted to point out that whole bananas are available from room service.

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']No need to attack. I, for one, enjoy trying the local foods in the various ports. It is part of the experience.
I was just making the observation that all cruise lines do not adhere to the so-called "laws," if, in fact they actually exist.
Terri[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]As one who has been sniffed by the dogs, accompanied by what appear to be handlers in military style uniforms (armed on at least one occasion), I can assure you that some countries do indeed take enforcing their [B]laws[/B] banning the import of food products quite seriously. All inspections have been done by local authorities, not the ship. Different countries, different laws and procedures. The toughest we've experienced have been Chile, Australia, New Zealand, and the US. [/SIZE]

Unless one has a specific medical requirement, I cannot imagine why anyone would take food on or off a ship. I cannot think of a port that did not sell food-either a la carte or packaged.

Is this a money issue or can healthy people really no go for a few hours without eating something?