Taking food from the ship at ports?

Fog123

I'm weird - I would probably never pet an animal on a street, and would never approach an unknown animal randomly...especially with food in hand.

Germs, parasites, fleas, teeth and claws

But don't hand me a used menu on the ship....

Yep I'm not afraid of that. This little guy in St Kitt pulled the "rub my belly 3 times now I'll bite you" routine after following me around for a little while because I was petting him. :)

vajyhuny.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know the subject of taking food off the ship came up a number of times on our South Pacific HAL cruise a few months ago. It was strictly a no/no. I can't really recall details regarding taking food off the ship at various ports around the world but I do recall that it is generally frowned upon and for good reason, regardless of the legalities. Bottled water appears to be the exception.

Of course the local hotel or resort will often fix travelers up with a lunch package for the day. But that is a heck of a lot different than taking it from the ship. Primarily, because the hotel is local, hires locals and is considered a fixture of the community and its economy. I know from experience that Regent often provides lunch packages during shore excursions in remote areas, but they always have a local enterprise prepare them. My visit to the ancient city of Petra being a good example.

Here in Alaska I have enough difficulty trying to convince fellow Alaskans that the cruise industry and visitation is something to be desired, economic wise and otherwise. Can you believe it, I was born and raised here and I'm accused of being a shill for the cruise industry? The last thing I need is for the stereotype cruise passenger to develop a reputation where they are regarded as someone who gets off the ship and after finding a place to squat, then feeds their face with goodies and lunch baskets prepared before-hand upon the ship. If word gets out that the Crystal ships actually do that, lunch basket thing, woe be their standing.

Upon our frequent travels to Hawaii we've ventured over to the island of Molokai from Maui. They have signs everywhere, basically saying: "we love you as visitors but do not even think about arriving here on a cruise ship". I can just see their reaction upon visualizing cruise ship visitors chowing down on cruise ship food in their town square.

Upon our frequent travels to Hawaii we've ventured over to the island of Molokai from Maui. They have signs everywhere, basically saying: "we love you as visitors but do not even think about arriving here on a cruise ship". I can just see their reaction upon visualizing cruise ship visitors chowing down on cruise ship food in their town square.

Wait till they feast their eyes on the ugly Crocs the people wear:eek:

Here in Alaska I have enough difficulty trying to convince fellow Alaskans that the cruise industry and visitation is something to be desired, economic wise and otherwise. Can you believe it, I was born and raised here and I'm accused of being a shill for the cruise industry? The last thing I need is for the stereotype cruise passenger to develop a reputation where they are regarded as someone who gets off the ship and after finding a place to squat, then feeds their face with goodies and lunch baskets prepared before-hand upon the ship. If word gets out that the Crystal ships actually do that, lunch basket thing, woe be their standing.

Seriously, I can understand people not wanting cruise ships to come to their ports. The issue in Molokai was about the environmental and cultural impact of the cruise industy. Each cruise ship brings thousands of passangers with all the problems involved. Heck, I love NYC but there are areas I avoid like the plague because of the crowds, like TImes Square.......

See this article on Molokai

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/20548674/cruising-to-compromise-on-molokai

I thought I read somewhere that people who rented Cabanas on HMC and had extra sodas, veggies and fruit left over COULD bring it back to the ship? After all, isn't HMC just an extension of the ship and we did pay for it?!?

I thought I read somewhere that people who rented Cabanas on HMC and had extra sodas, veggies and fruit left over COULD bring it back to the ship? After all, isn't HMC just an extension of the ship and we did pay for it?!?

Who would do this? (other than Jed Clampett)

We hadn't been met by a sniffer dog at a few ports, so one day I decided to take some dog biscuits with me when I went ashore (you never know when you're going to meet up with a dog you need to make friends with).

>SNIP<

That is a GREAT idea! A person never really knows when a stray or hungry or curious dog might need to be diverted with judicious offerings of "snacks"! I really like that idea, thanks RuthC

Bringing food on the ship is generally not a problem. It's when you try to bring food off the ship that you could be violating laws and getting in trouble.

>SNIP<

>SNIP<

Thanks for that perspective. We live in a resort area. When day tourists arrive in herds, without spending any money at all (and it happens very frequently), it is difficult to embrace tourism as being "good for us". ;)

You can bring food onto the ships but not off.

Why would anyone want to bring fruit or veggies back to the ship from HMC after it has been out in the heat for hours? There is plenty of fruit and tons of veggies on the ship. Get fresh food; don't eat the old heat exposed food.

You can bring food onto the ships but not off.

Why would anyone want to bring fruit or veggies back to the ship from HMC after it has been out in the heat for hours? There is plenty of fruit and tons of veggies on the ship. Get fresh food; don't eat the old heat exposed food.

I don't know why anyone would want to haul back fruit and veggies back to the ship, but you're making an assumption that it would be "out in the heat for hours " and "heat exposed". The cabanas have refrigerators.

Yes, they have refrig but most of the time most of those trays are placed on the table for munching and that is where they sit.

It isn't a stretch to think taking fruit and veggies back to the ship from HMC is not a particularly good idea.

As we were waiting in the lounge for our Tracy Arm Excursion they announced MANY times that we could not bring any food off the ship. I had some sealed protein bars and asked about sealed food. He told me that no food was allowed off the ship and that I could take them back to the room. They did feed us a wrap on the excursion for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Who would do this? (other than Jed Clampett)

Possibly someone who has paid for these items in the cabana and would like to enjoy them back on the ship? I am referring to sodas not food items. What is wrong with putting a beverage in your bag that you have purchased and not used and enjoy it later?

Interesting about the Tracy Arm and not even being able to take protein bars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

In Alaska the no food on excursions is about the bears. They smell food and will come after it.

black bears tore a door off a concrete shed at my mom's winter place in Florida - they can not put garbage out at all until collection day. She's had them on her deck and her neighbor had one come in a window. Her neighborhood is at the edge of a national state park/pine forest.

Edited by Mytime2014

In Alaska the no food on excursions is about the bears. They smell food and will come after it.

black bears tore a door off a concrete shed at my mom's winter place in Florida - they can not put garbage out at all until collection day. She's had them on her deck and her neighbor had one come in a window. Her neighborhood is at the edge of a national state park/pine forest.

I believe the only excursion in Tracy arm would be on a catamaran. No bears on there:D.

Possibly someone who has paid for these items in the cabana and would like to enjoy them back on the ship? I am referring to sodas not food items. What is wrong with putting a beverage in your bag that you have purchased and not used and enjoy it later?

If I were the food police, I'd say sure to the cans of soda and are you kidding to the munchies. :D

I doubt it's anything to do with the bears - I have black bears come through my property nightly, we keep our garbage in the garage - they go for the berries, and whatever else is around. Seriously, during the day locals, I am sure, don't worry about carrying snacks around. Having said that, I can't see any reason to ever take food off the ship.

Having said that' date=' I can't see any reason to ever take food off the ship.[/quote']

As a diabetic, if I go off on an afternoon excursion, I always bring a box of Cheerios. It's a "just in case" thing as I never know when my levels will drop too low. I want to be prepared.

I can imagine there are others in similar situations.

I guess I was thinking more about the bottle water and sodas. We are renting a cabana for four people but there are only two of us. I doubt we will consume all the beverage (especially if we visit the bar a couple of times), but it would be nice to have the sodas for the drive home the next day.