Taking food from the ship at ports?

Fog123

We brought small packets of trail mix from home to take with us on excursions in Alaska. In Panama we brought packets of graham crackers from the cruise ship and snacked on those.

Our bags were searched last month in Puerto Vallarta as we disembarked. They were checking for food. They also checked us upon disembarking in one other Mexican port but I can't remember which one. That port had a food sniffing dog.

In Puerto Vallarta the Mexican officials also checked our bags as we re entered the port area but at that point I suspect they were looking for something other than food. ;)

It was likely cabo

It's up to the country the ship is visiting, and is mainly related to such things as fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses. Although there are some countries, New Zealand and Australia are two examples I experienced, where it is much stricter.

Be prepared to be met by a "sniffer dog" at points of entry in Australia and New Zealand.

I thought I saw somewhere that HAL won't let you take food from the ship to eat at the various excursion ports.

How do they go about checking? Are our bags searched as we disembark?

We had been planning on taking fruit from the room and maybe a cookie or two as munchies, particularly on the Tracy Arm excursion where they say food is limited or at a cost.

Is there anything else that we aren't allowed to take off ship?

I assume our bags are searched getting back on the ship because of alcohol, but I'm also assuming we can bring food back on the ship.

Feel free to correct me and thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Many places have rules against bringing any fresh food off the ship. I do not commonly do so.

However that being said, I have NEVER had a bag checked by Holland America when leaving a ship. And the number of people who ignore this rule is way more than you might imagine.

I have been on numerous HAL excursion busses where it was not permitted and yet it seemed as though almost everyone was eating a meat or cheese sandwich or some fruit they had brought from the ship.

If the place your visiting has dogs sniffing for food, then it is not done but if not, it seems to be the same as obeying speed limit on a lonely road at night.

Scott & Karen

Our bags were searched last month in Puerto Vallarta as we disembarked. They were checking for food. They also checked us upon disembarking in one other Mexican port but I can't remember which one. That port had a food sniffing dog.

In Puerto Vallarta the Mexican officials also checked our bags as we re entered the port area but at that point I suspect they were looking for something other than food. ;)

We have had our bags checked in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.

In Puntareanas we had the dog sniffer.

Be prepared to be met by a "sniffer dog" at points of entry in Australia and New Zealand.

We hadn't been met by a sniffer dog at a few ports, so one day I decided to take some dog biscuits with me when I went ashore (you never know when you're going to meet up with a dog you need to make friends with).

THAT was the day a sniffer dog was there! Funny thing---the dog went straight past me. :eek: He never paid a bit of attention to my dog biscuits, as he was searching for people food! :D

Whadda ya know.

This particular cruise didn't stop in Cabo. However the one we are taking next year does so I guess we can expect a bag search there.

They do for sure search in cabo. They had big containers of fruit from people that bring it ashore. I guess people think that rule is for others. I do realize that this thread is for Alaska before someone feels the need to point it out.

They do for sure search in cabo. They had big containers of fruit from people that bring it ashore. I guess people think that rule is for others. I do realize that this thread is for Alaska before someone feels the need to point it out.

Getting off in Lauderdale, there's always a pile of apples that people turn in. Some people just have to have that last apple to get their money's worth.

When did the ship become responsible for feeding people while they're off the ship?

Just for once:D I agree with you. I hate watching people making sandwiches or wrapping cakes/rolls etc to take ashore. Anyone would think they don't know where their next meal is coming from!!

I'm quite happy to have the discussion expanded off of Alaska and am finding the posts interesting.

We don't plan to take food from the ship off the ship, given the discussion.

In terms of the ship being responsible for feeding people off the ship, I don't see it that way. This is my first cruise and I am basing my questions on my experience with resorts and hotels.Some of those will make up lunches or snacks to go for people that have paid for the resort since they would be eating the food at the resort if they weren't venturing off of it. Or they don't exactly offer, they sometimes will tell us to take something from the buffet on our way out. One of the posters above mentioned that one of the cruise lines also does it. It's not that I interpreted that the ship would have to feed me, but I also didn't think an apple and some cookies would be viewed amiss either.

I'm still learning about the differences between cruises and land based travelling.

Once I found out that food was a no-go it pretty much ended any questions I had. I'm glad I asked the question. I don't know if the cruise lines tell you about it once you're on board, at that point it would be too late to prepare. Prepackaged snacks it is.

I'm quite happy to have the discussion expanded off of Alaska and am finding the posts interesting.

We don't plan to take food from the ship off the ship, given the discussion.

In terms of the ship being responsible for feeding people off the ship, I don't see it that way. This is my first cruise and I am basing my questions on my experience with resorts and hotels.Some of those will make up lunches or snacks to go for people that have paid for the resort since they would be eating the food at the resort if they weren't venturing off of it. Or they don't exactly offer, they sometimes will tell us to take something from the buffet on our way out. One of the posters above mentioned that one of the cruise lines also does it. It's not that I interpreted that the ship would have to feed me, but I also didn't think an apple and some cookies would be viewed amiss either.

I'm still learning about the differences between cruises and land based travelling.

Once I found out that food was a no-go it pretty much ended any questions I had. I'm glad I asked the question. I don't know if the cruise lines tell you about it once you're on board, at that point it would be too late to prepare. Prepackaged snacks it is.

I've found that they will generally make an announcement about taking food off the ship. It might even be in the daily paper. I can't recall. On my princess cruise last year they said you could face hefty fines. People still took food off. I simply don't understand that.

We hadn't been met by a sniffer dog at a few ports, so one day I decided to take some dog biscuits with me when I went ashore (you never know when you're going to meet up with a dog you need to make friends with).

THAT was the day a sniffer dog was there! Funny thing---the dog went straight past me. :eek: He never paid a bit of attention to my dog biscuits, as he was searching for people food! :D

Whadda ya know.

A lot of time and money is spent training dogs for a special and important need. They are focused on keeping us safe by being able to smell explosive materials and drugs.

Trying to get their attention with dog biscuits seems just silly! Now, I am not saying that was your motive, but perhaps the unintended consequence. Your comment actually states the you had not seen sniffer dogs and decided to take dog biscuits a shore. Do you travel with dog biscuits or was that ship food? It does not really matter, just curious.

My point... the sniffer dogs are doing a job to protect us and we should not interfere.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Trying to get their attention with dog biscuits seems just silly! Now, I am not saying that was your motive, but perhaps the unintended consequence. Your comment actually states the you had not seen sniffer dogs and decided to take dog biscuits a shore. Do you travel with dog biscuits or was that ship food?

Wow, you're reading a bit much into that. She stated it was for dogs they might run into on the streets. She didn't do it to mess with sniffing dogs she'd never seen in a port before. I've been known to carry dog treats on me in the past as well, just not on a cruise. I'd be more likely to have cat treats since I always have to stop and pet every single one on trips.i have lots of cruise pictures of random cats I met.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow, you're reading a bit much into that. She stated it was for dogs they might run into on the streets. She didn't do it to mess with sniffing dogs she'd never seen in a port before. I've been known to carry dog treats on me in the past as well, just not on a cruise. I'd be more likely to have cat treats since I always have to stop and pet every single one on trips.i have lots of cruise pictures of random cats I met.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm weird - I would probably never pet an animal on a street, and would never approach an unknown animal randomly...especially with food in hand.

Germs, parasites, fleas, teeth and claws

But don't hand me a used menu on the ship....

I'm currently in Hawaii, (Maui)....so beautiful, but so many cats:( So many more, it seems than the last time I was here. They look ok, but still, breaks my heart.

On the 'food note', if you find this interesting, while passing through US Customs in Vancouver, I was asked if I was carrying any fruits/veg....and remembered I had 2 apples in my carryon. The Customs Official asked to see them, I was happy to comply, and completely expected to be leaving them behind. Funny, I think they were apples from New Zealand, so these 2 were destined to be more well-travelled than I:) Nevertheless, they were closely inspected, passed whatever test being administered, and I was allowed to proceed with my 2 world-travelling apples. I thought for sure they would be confiscated, but maybe since they'd already come from so far, perhaps had been treated prior to their export, that that was sufficient? I don't know.

A 'special Aloha' to S7S:)

While it isn't the ship's responsibility to provide lunches for those going on an excursion, it would be nice to do so when food is not readily available or plentiful. The Tracy Arm excursion is exclusively for the HAL passengers (or other lines) and the food on board the catamaran is limited. The passengers are on the boat for almost five hours and miss the meal on the ship.

While it isn't the ship's responsibility to provide lunches for those going on an excursion, it would be nice to do so when food is not readily available or plentiful. The Tracy Arm excursion is exclusively for the HAL passengers (or other lines) and the food on board the catamaran is limited. The passengers are on the boat for almost five hours and miss the meal on the ship.

I did that excursion and somehow I managed. I had a good breakfast. IIRC they had a few things to choose from. I certainly didn't starve. I once took an 18 hour excursion to copper canyon in Mexico. Somehow I managed that one without taking food off the ship.

I'm currently in Hawaii, (Maui)....so beautiful, but so many cats:( So many more, it seems than the last time I was here. They look ok, but still, breaks my heart.

On the 'food note', if you find this interesting, while passing through US Customs in Vancouver, I was asked if I was carrying any fruits/veg....and remembered I had 2 apples in my carryon. The Customs Official asked to see them, I was happy to comply, and completely expected to be leaving them behind. Funny, I think they were apples from New Zealand, so these 2 were destined to be more well-travelled than I:) Nevertheless, they were closely inspected, passed whatever test being administered, and I was allowed to proceed with my 2 world-travelling apples. I thought for sure they would be confiscated, but maybe since they'd already come from so far, perhaps had been treated prior to their export, that that was sufficient? I don't know.

A 'special Aloha' to S7S:)

Jo-Bob

GREAT story about your two apples. Happy you got to keep them.

Thank you for the Special Aloha. :)

Hope you have a wonderful time in Maui.

Travel safely.

True, but you can know this when you do your homework, read the reviews and book the times. Alternatively, can plan to take snacks if going 5 hours without food is a problem [ordering room service immediately on return...]