Taking food from the ship at ports?

Fog123

[quote name='dcmjdc2'][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42626254&postcount=1099[/url]

This is the post that talks of bring a boxed lunch on shore.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak to Crystal, but Silversea does something similar. The cruise line knows the local regulations and takes responsibility for following them. They still don't let you cart off whatever you want. You can only take what they pack for you.

If you really want the boxed lunches, why not book one of the luxury segment cruise lines?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]What isn't clear is whether or not those ships that send a box lunch are using food from the ship, getting prior clearance from the authorities if they are, or if they are using locally prepared boxes.
I've been on more than one tour where it was the local company who furnished the lunch. That includes Mexico and Alaska.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='kennicott']

<snip>
If I find out that this is indeed fact, then there is not going to much sympathy from me, for the entire industry, when it comes to arguing with my brethren that Alaska was not better off with the "newlywed, overfed and nearly dead".[/quote]

[B] Wow....

Is that what the folks in all those shops, selling all those tours, renting all those cars, serving all those lunches etc really think of all the cruisers? :eek:

Newlywed
Overfed
and Nearly Dead.....

I wish you hadn't shared that with us. :(

[/B]

[quote name='iancal']Unless one has a specific medical requirement, I cannot imagine why anyone would take food on or off a ship. I cannot think of a port that did not sell food-either a la carte or packaged.

Is this a money issue or can healthy people really no go for a few hours without eating something?[/QUOTE]

I would imagine there are all sorts of reasons as to why people might want to bring food with them.

As the OP I can comment on my situation. I am considered a healthy person but I do have some minor issues that are exacerbated by not grazing throughout the day. DH has dietary restrictions. He's also healthy, but we've been in situations where he hasn't been able to eat because of those restrictions. Neither one of our issues are life threatening, but by removing hunger or low blood sugar situations from the table it allows us to focus on the travel and enjoyment.

Others simply might not want to take time from whatever they're doing to search for food or for places that will accept or convert foreign currencies.

My sister has three young children. Food that she considers safe and nutritious is used as a distraction and for peace keeping.

Is it absolutely critical? No, not by any means. Having food (or asking questions on the forum) just goes with our general preparedness habits that we have.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Wow....

Is that what the folks in all those shops, selling all those tours, renting all those cars, serving all those lunches etc really think of all the cruisers? :eek:

Newlywed
Overfed
and Nearly Dead.....

[/B][/QUOTE]
Sounds like something a comedian on a HAL ship might say.

Heard those exact same words from an expat in the Caribbean who operates his own tour company. He also told me that some of the folks in the jewelry stores have an even less complementary description.

[quote name='iancal']Heard those exact same words from an expat in the Caribbean who operates his own tour company. He also told me that some of the folks in the jewelry stores have an even less complementary description.[/quote]

I will bet that my description of the "folks in the jewelry stores" is much less complimentary than their description of cruisers ;) :D

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Wow....

[/B][/QUOTE]

What, you never heard that one before? Been around for ages. Not everybody loves us cruisers.

I recall when I first heard it, almost twenty years ago. From a pilot in a small town in southeast Alaska. He wasn't enamored with a forecast that cruise ships would soon be coming to his town. I said, "Hey, I'm a cruise ship aficionado, why you calling me names"?

Once upon a time, for almost 12 years, I made my living as a commercial bush pilot on the coast and in the interior of Alaska. Just like that dude was doing. Never dreamed then that one day I would be able to sail the seven seas, in class. Just passed the 500 on the sea day milestone.

[url]http://www.forbes.com/sites/avidan/2012/01/09/royal-caribbean-is-reaching-beyond-the-overfed-and-nearly-dead/[/url]

[quote name='AlohaPride']For the record, we love it when people come to Oahu ;)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Great place to visit and gain three personal shopping assistants![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] :)

[quote name='Cruzin Terri']No need to attack. I, for one, enjoy trying the local foods in the various ports. It is part of the experience.
I was just making the observation that all cruise lines do not adhere to the so-called "laws," if, in fact they actually exist.
Terri[/quote]

If you are visiting New Zealand check out this website,

[URL="http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz"]www.biosecurity.govt.nz[/URL]

Beneath the heading "Entering New Zealand, you will find information for Cruise Ship passengers listing items that may not be taken ashore, penalties exist for making a false declaration.

[SIZE="3"]Thanks erewhon for that link. We used to watch a show on the NatGeo (???) channel that showed the NZ Ag, immigration, and customs inspectors doing their jobs. One episode covered inspecting a cruise ship. As cruisers, and having been to NZ, we found it fascinating. [/SIZE]

While I can understand there are many reasons not to bring food off a ship, the one time I would like to do it is for the Tracy Arm. We have to board the catamaran at 10 so have to be finished breakfast by about 9 or so. We don't get back to the ship in Juneau until about 3:30. While they do provide a snack, it is my understanding that it is limited in scope and amount and some people have missed out because there wasn't enough. There are no bears to worry about and no business we are depriving of our money.

[quote name='iancal']Unless one has a specific medical requirement, I cannot imagine why anyone would take food on or off a ship. I cannot think of a port that did not sell food-either a la carte or packaged.

[/QUOTE]

I get your general point, but there are indeed some (probably very few) ports where there is nothing available. As an example, on one Voyages to Antiquity cruise we stopped at a port in Turkey called Tasucu and boarded buses for a very lengthy bus ride to visit a Crusader Castle called Mamure Castle. There was absolutely nowhere in the vicinity to have obtained any food on this very long full-day tour.

The ship packed lunches for everyone, and it wasn't the first time they've done it for their tours -- I also experienced this in Syria.

Regarding the agricultural laws -- they vary by country. It's not one overriding DON'T. In some places it's okay to bring food ashore. Some places don't allow fruit. Some allow packaged items only. Some don't allow anything.

The cruise lines cannot keep up with all of these individual and constantly changing laws. So they simply tell you DON'T. That's fine with me. My assumption is that if the cruise line doesn't say NO, it's okay. If they do have a warning (in the program or at the gangway) I will heed it.

[quote name='dateacher']While I can understand there are many reasons not to bring food off a ship, the one time I would like to do it is for the Tracy Arm. We have to board the catamaran at 10 so have to be finished breakfast by about 9 or so. We don't get back to the ship in Juneau until about 3:30. While they do provide a snack, it is my understanding that it is limited in scope and amount and some people have missed out because there wasn't enough. There are no bears to worry about and no business we are depriving of our money.[/QUOTE]

I did that catamaran tour. I had a pretty big breakfast and iirc I don't think I had anything other then a taste of smoke salmon they were passing around. I believe you could purchase stuff like hot dogs etc. They did not run out of food.

[quote name='dcmjdc2'][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42626254&postcount=1099[/url]

This is the post that talks of bring a boxed lunch on shore.[/QUOTE]

I am not referring to that post. I am talking about a personal blog where it is mentioned more than once.
Terri Edited by Cruzin Terri

I had always gone on HAL and knew the restrictions about taking food off the ship and knew you were allowed to bring food back on the ship. Imagine my surprise the first time I sailed with RCCL and I purchased some baked goods at a bakery in England (don't remember the port) and when I was boarding the ship I was told that I couldn't bring food back on the ship. I asked if we could eat some of it right there. They told me that we would have to get off the ship to do that. It was raining outside so that wasn't an option. I just handed it over and told them to enjoy it. The food was still wrapped up from the bakery. After I got back to my cabin I read the daily sheet and it did say that no food was allowed on or off the ship.

[quote name='mfanderso']I had always gone on HAL and knew the restrictions about taking food off the ship and knew you were allowed to bring food back on the ship. Imagine my surprise the first time I sailed with RCCL and I purchased some baked goods at a bakery in England (don't remember the port) and when I was boarding the ship I was told that I couldn't bring food back on the ship. I asked if we could eat some of it right there. They told me that we would have to get off the ship to do that. It was raining outside so that wasn't an option. I just handed it over and told them to enjoy it. The food was still wrapped up from the bakery. After I got back to my cabin I read the daily sheet and it did say that no food was allowed on or off the ship.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thats crazy. Good info.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got off Westerdam Alaska cruise may 31 thru the 7. As long as the food or soda was in my backpack, they didn't say anything to me. I brought fruit on board the first day from pikes place market. Then a lot of soda (open and unopened) and chips,also beef jerkey. I had no issues. And jam bought in Sitka.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='gina06']Just got off Westerdam Alaska cruise may 31 thru the 7. As long as the food or soda was in my backpack, they didn't say anything to me. I brought fruit on board the first day from pikes place market. Then a lot of soda (open and unopened) and chips,also beef jerkey. I had no issues. And jam bought in Sitka.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

You can bring anything on the ship:confused:.