Did someone steal my badge?

Jocko97

Recently flew from Philadelphia to Vancouver via Toronto on Air Canada. I was very excited to use my new Samsonite suitcase.

Somewhere between Toronto and Vancouver, the Samsonite badge on the outside of my suitcase went missing. Never in my years of traveling has the brand name plate for my luggage ever come off!

I was wondering if anyone else ever had this happen to them, and if they were able to get a replacement. I didn't file a claim with the airline since I felt it wouldn't do me any good. I don't want compensation, I just want my bag to be complete again. It may sound trivial to some, but seeing the two holes in the bag where the name plate used to be just drives me nuts!

vy3emage.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Somewhere between Toronto and Vancouver, the Samsonite badge on the outside of my suitcase went missing. Never in my years of traveling has the brand name plate for my luggage ever come off!

What leads you to believe the badge was stolen? Just curious.

Have you contacted Samsonite? That would be my first "go to", especially since the luggage is new. Looks like the badge simply caught on something else (another piece of luggage, lip of a bag bin, etc) and popped off. Many companies will be happy to send a replacement part for free.

What leads you to believe the badge was stolen? Just curious.

Have you contacted Samsonite? That would be my first "go to", especially since the luggage is new. Looks like the badge simply caught on something else (another piece of luggage, lip of a bag bin, etc) and popped off. Many companies will be happy to send a replacement part for free.

Just seemed odd. In all my years of flying, not once did a logo get caught on something and get ripped off. It's such a low profile part of the surface, I found it hard to believe it got snagged on something, unlike a handle or zipper.

I was curious if this was part of a common problem with the tags being removed and reattached to counterfeit merchandise.

I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. No one stole your Samsonite logo; it just fell off. It probably caught on something. The airline will not compensate you in any way for this, so good thing you didn't waste time with a claim. Just contact Samsonite and ask if they can send you a replacement. If the bag is new, you might be able to replace it.

I think it's pretty far fetched to imagine baggage handlers stealing logos from bags so they can be attached to counterfeit suitcases!

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I find it very amusing that anyone would think that someone stole a luggage nameplate--particularly from something as common place as a Samsonite.

It fell off and was tossed into the trash. Zero value. If that's the worst that ever happens to your luggage, be happy for it.

Recently flew from Philadelphia to Vancouver via Toronto on Air Canada. I was very excited to use my new Samsonite suitcase.

I was wondering if anyone else ever had this happen to them, and if they were able to get a replacement. I didn't file a claim with the airline since I felt it wouldn't do me any good. I don't want compensation, I just want my bag to be complete again. It may sound trivial to some, but seeing the two holes in the bag where the name plate used to be just drives me nuts!

I am sorry your new luggage was damaged:( Yes please call the company for a replacement piece.

I rarely buy new luggage because they beat the heck out of it in the airports.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

When you see how luggage is handled consider yourself lucky that is the only damage you had. A few cruises ago, DH and I were waiting in line at the passenger services desk on Emerald Princess. 2 people ahead of us were complaining about damage to their luggage. One case looked like it had been run over by a truck, and the other had one whole corner ripped open. This was right after embarkation so I think they were complaining that the damage was done either by the baggage handlers on the pier or maybe by the Princess handlers. So just losing your name plate seems like a non-issue.

They don't make things like they used to..I sell luggage for a living...yes, they pop off.....

Contact samsonite....you're not going to get the airline, cruise line or anything to pop for that....yes it's annoying but it's not a zipper or wheel, it's cosmetic, just like a scratch ....even zipper pulls come off all the time...

Nothing lasts forever, except maybe Briggs and Riley.....

Once in South America, my DH's suitcase was badly ripped by the wire cage of chickens that was on top of it. That was not the only problem! :eek: :( Can you say "new suitcase" in another language?

Just seemed odd. In all my years of flying, not once did a logo get caught on something and get ripped off. It's such a low profile part of the surface, I found it hard to believe it got snagged on something, unlike a handle or zipper.

I was curious if this was part of a common problem with the tags being removed and reattached to counterfeit merchandise.

If someone was going to counterfeit luggage, I doubt it would be Samsonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One case looked like it had been run over by a truck, and the other had one whole corner ripped open.

Don't even laugh, I was at DFW on the Skylink (High Speed Train connects terminals on air side) and we saw a large 62" bag fall off a speeding luggage tug and yes the guy behind him tug and at least one cart ran hit the bag. Both kept going and it was a bit of amusement for the passengers in my car watching luggage tugs zip by the bag without anyone stopping for it.

Just as we got to the point we could not watch anymore someone in a lone tug did stop and pick it up.

Happens on cruises two, Pier 88 in NYC we watch them handling bags at Pier 90 and they did drop a bag out of the bin and it sat for awhile until a forklift driver picked it up (himself not with the forks).

Not laughing here! So sorry for those pax. Several years on our first cruise, I saw ship' s crew throwing luggage down the stairs, one piece right after another. The elevator was stacked to the top with luggage so this was how they got the left over from one deck to another.

The best advice that anyone can give about luggage: The bag's function is there to contain and protect its contents.

The bag shouldn't be treated as a valuable item in itself. All baggage systems and baggage handling will damage the bag to some extent. Bits will get worn, torn and broken off. This is inevitable, and you shouldn't get upset about it.

If someone was going to counterfeit luggage, I doubt it would be Samsonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was rather my thought too! Sorry not impressed by much in suitcases because they have so many price points and the luggage handlers treat them equally bad (or bright and shiny new ones they give an extra kick too :p )

I would like to see a photo of the chickens on top of luggage, not what they left behind!

In Peru about 10 years ago, we were going to the meeting city for an Amazon cruise on a tiny little boat La Turmalina. Some folks were going home for a wedding celebration and were gifting the happy couple with 4 hens and a large rooster! That was such a wonderful trip -- really saw and did things that were not what I was used to.:D Film camera then and did not think the chickens were worthy of a shot. I would have had 500 with my digital camera of now!

When you see how luggage is handled consider yourself lucky that is the only damage you had. A few cruises ago, DH and I were waiting in line at the passenger services desk on Emerald Princess. 2 people ahead of us were complaining about damage to their luggage. One case looked like it had been run over by a truck, and the other had one whole corner ripped open. This was right after embarkation so I think they were complaining that the damage was done either by the baggage handlers on the pier or maybe by the Princess handlers. So just losing your name plate seems like a non-issue.

My college boyfriend worked at the airport as a baggage handler. When I asked him the truth about luggage handling he asked if i remembered the luggage commercials with the gorillas throwing suitcases in the cage (dating myself I know).... apparently those commercials were pretty accurate ;)

After boarding the plane one time for an overseas flight, I was sitting in my window seat watching the luggage loaders. One of the suitcases had a handle sticking out and the slide down door on the luggage cart wouldn't close. After seeing that, any rational person would push the offending suitcase in a bit. Nope, the luggage handler slammed the door down on it. It still wouldn't close. So, yep, he slammed it down two more times before finally pushing the suitcase inward. By that time most everyone on my side of the plane was commenting. I couldn't believe it and was very glad it wasn't my suitcase!

My father worked for Ford Motor Company and traveled every week. In 20 years, he never bought a new suitcase with his own funds, other than the first one. He had the hard-sided Samsonite large suitcase and the handle was always being broken by the airlines. Back then (1960s-70s), the airlines would give him a check to buy a new suitcase. He came home, duct-taped the handle back together and it would last for a year or so--with additional taping. When it finally broke off, he would use the money the airlines had given him for a new suitcase, and the cycle repeated itself. I think I still have one of his brand-new suitcases in storage.