What does CD do?

Mytime2014

Whenever I think of a cruise director - I think of Love Boat

What do they do in real life? How can they make/break a cruise - or do they have much impact on a 7 day cruise [Alaska] where we are going some excursions and I plan to have much deck time!

Just wondering if I need to seek this person/their events out or if it will make a difference? If there are other people [besides the bar-tender, steward etc] who can affect my cruise - please tell me who they are so I know who/what to look for.

In general, they annoy me with their announcements. I'm usually relaxing around the pool when they come on the PA to inform us there is an art auction on level 5 and the towel folding class starts at 1.

The daily agenda you get every day in your room pretty much spells out what's going on in the ship.

I mean seriously, if a cruise director makes or breaks your vacation you might want to rethink cruising. :rolleyes:

They and their staff basically host all activities on board and MC the theater shows, along with the daily announcements as referenced. While I don't think they make or break a cruise many people enjoy their personalities and find them entertaining - or visa versa.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Primarily annoy people with their never-ceasing announcements and tell the same old corny jokes told be virtually every other CD on the ocean. :D

Oh...they also manage the staff that put on the entertainment.

okay, thanks. I read posts where people discuss this CD and that one, or the CD "hosts" their table in the MDR, but those are usually people higher in the ship than I'll be!!! As long as I can read the program and figure out ship time I should be good :)

I see that you are on the Westerdam.

We have over 900 days on HAL.

Very, very rarely does a CD host a table.

Once in a while the captain and hotel director will host a table at the Mariner's brunch.

Most captains rarely even invite people to dine with him in the Pinnacle let alone host a table on the last formal night.

A few officers will host tables on the last formal night.

Primarily annoy people with their never-ceasing announcements and tell the same old corny jokes told be virtually every other CD on the ocean. :D

Oh...they also manage the staff that put on the entertainment.

Happily, not all cruise lines have never-ceasing announcements. :)

LuLu

To us, the perfect CD is the one we never hear or see. Unfortunately, that is rare these days when CD's have to hawk everything from Bingo to the shop sales. Most CDs also have the mistaken belief that passengers are not capable of reading since they think it is necessary to disturb the peace of all onboard to read much of the schedule that has already been delivered to passenger cabins.

Hank

There's some CDs who have posted their typical day on board (I know one CD on Princess who is known for being an excellent one has done so). They can have a really filled day from early morning til late at night.

I like it when a CD doesn't feel the need to broadcast over the PA every bingo tournament and art auction (two activities I avoid). If they do a good job on getting out the daily newsletter the night before, I can start narrowing down possible things to do on my own.