Hairspray is going to Freedom of the Seas

I'm gonna have to Cruise Oasis again next year! Loved Hairspray and will see one of the last shows before it is switched out!

MM have you done any Pub singing lately? "Sweet Caroline ..." :D

As Freedom is not scheduled for its next dry dock until January 2015 I would say that would be the likely date.

Maybe Hairspray is one of the reasons Freedom is going to an early dry dock?

I am happy to hear they are keeping it on one of the ships.

I am curious to know whether they will be having Mamma Mia on both the Quantum and Anthem for the first 2 ship contract, since they will be home-ported at such great distance apart.

What show is on serenade of seas? ( July )

Just standard cruise ship type production shows. Not a broadway show like Quantum, Oasis, Allure, Liberty, and soon to be Freedom.

We will be sailing Freedom in June of 2015 with my two granddaughters.

Is Hairspray okay to take the girls to or is it for a little bit more mature audience?

Unless you feel that the girls are too young to gain anything out of the anti-discrimination theme of Hairspray, I believe that it would be fine for them and, in many ways, far less "adult" in theme than Chicago or Momma Mia. The music is very upbeat

Unless you feel that the girls are too young to gain anything out of the anti-discrimination theme of Hairspray, I believe that it would be fine for them and, in many ways, far less "adult" in theme than Chicago or Momma Mia. The music is very upbeat

I agree with this as well :-)

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone posting about this.

I am on the Grandeur, and Darryl said that when Hairspray is replaced by Cats on the Oasis, it is moving to the Freedom.

That's pretty cool. I'm glad to see RCI expanding those Broadway productions to more ships. RCI is really setting themselves apart from the others with their entertainment.

That doesn't sound too exciting!

No different than how all the ships shows have been prior to the introduction with the Oasis class ships with the Broadway type shows. With the plans with Quantum class, and those in place with Liberty and apparently Freedom, it looks as though they are beginning to roll these out to more ships.

I would guess that if this is indeed the plan, with each upcoming 5 year maintenance dry dock more ships will begin to get these shows on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

When I was on Independence in March, one of the CD's staff mentioned that Allure would be losing Chicago soon, since it was getting flak for being too "risque" for the family atmosphere on the boat. Hadn't heard of any replacement though.

Edited by jeditden

When I was on Independence in March, one of the CD's staff mentioned that Allure would be losing Chicago soon, since it was getting flak for being too "risque" for the family atmosphere on the boat. Hadn't heard of any replacement though.

Most ships turn their productions shows about every 5 years, and that has been about the run with Chicago and the primary reason it will be changed. It is very likely that this will take place with her upcoming 5-year planned maintenance dry dock and will most likely be replaced with another Broadway type show.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Chicago was great on the Allure! As was Blue!:D

The lines waiting to get in would seem to counter what the staff mentioned to you! Sounds like sour grapes!:eek:

As far as the other Broadway shows, bring em on, far superior to the regular shows on a lot of the smaller ships!:D

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone posting about this.

I am on the Grandeur, and Darryl said that when Hairspray is replaced by Cats on the Oasis, it is moving to the Freedom.

Good, I never did make it to Oasis, that is sometime this year correct? I'm not paying that much attention to the OASIS TA since i'm not going :) But I will be on Freedom in May and will make a point to see it.

This makes me happy. I really enjoyed Hairspray, and since I'm planning on sailing on Freedom of the Seas in 2016, I should be able to enjoy it again.

It helps make up for the expected loss of Portofino during her dry dock next year.

No different than how all the ships shows have been prior to the introduction with the Oasis class ships with the Broadway type shows. With the plans with Quantum class, and those in place with Liberty and apparently Freedom, it looks as though they are beginning to roll these out to more ships.

I would guess that if this is indeed the plan, with each upcoming 5 year maintenance dry dock more ships will begin to get these shows on board.

It's been mentioned here a few times, but I'm curious to know what dry dock has to do with changing shows?