New Specialty Dining Discounts - Kids Free / Discounted

Just got email from RCI

Up to 30% off Specialty Dining

Number of Reservations:

3 - 20% off

4 - 25% off

5+ - 30% off

Additional verbiage

Receive 20% of the value of your reservation if you book a specialty dining experience for the first day of your cruise. Traveling with the family? Kids ages 6-12 dine for only $8. Children younger than 5 years of age dine for free.

Oh goody. Now we will have young kids in an adult atmosphere dining area. Sorry, but if I am paying an extra $35 for a nice meal, I do not want to be sitting next to a family with a three year old. Hopefully they will restrict this to early dining hours and at least leave the later times for adults only.

I guess specialty dining isn't doing too well.

On our Jewel cruise in March neither Chops or Portofino were very busy the nights we were there. With the new/more expensive Chops menu that will likely be a trend to continue....

Got this e-mail too, however I read it differently from $ off the meal - instead I think it's an on board credit for the amount of the fee. My e-mail said

"Make 3 or more reservations in one of our specialty restaurants and receive an onboard credit to use during your cruise vacation."

You still save the $ if you use it on board so maybe it's the same thing?

I saw this ad too. I wonder which is better deal - buy now or buy package when we board. We were planning to get the three restaurant package anyway, although we were not planning to take our young son, but may reconsider for first night :). He likes pasta, so maybe we will try Giovanni's that night...

I guess specialty dining isn't doing too well.

I wonder if they have to pick from a special kids' menu.

When I called and asked, they said they had a special kids meal for the under 5, but the 6-12 kids could order from the regular specialty restaurant menu.

I was asking as DD likes the specialty restaurants, and while I'd like to save the $$$, if it meant she would just be given the regular "kids" menu from the MDR (which is NOT what they said it would be, BTW, just my own example here), I would prefer to pay the regular full price if needed so she could enjoy the regular menu of the restaurant, but I was told she would be able to order from the regular Chops, or Wonderland or whatever restaurant menu applied.

... but I was told she would be able to order from the regular Chops, or Wonderland or whatever restaurant menu applied.

Book now and enjoy it while it lasts. I can't see them letting kids into Wonderland and getting that menu for $8 for the long term. Or even getting an adult meal in Chops for $8.

Disney has kids' prices for meals but they get a kid's meal. If they want the adult meal, they have to pay an adult price. Percentage off for larger parties I can see, but not a flat child's rate for an adult meal.

I'm wondering if the reduced rate for the kids still entitles them to order off the regular menu or if there will be a separate kids menu or smaller portions.

Previous poster said they could order off adult menu. I can't see that lasting.

And aren't we supposedly paying for upgraded ingredients? That means adults with no kids, who don't really want to dine with kids, are subsidizing the kids' meals. Dumb.

Edited by marci22

When I called and asked, they said they had a special kids meal for the under 5, but the 6-12 kids could order from the regular specialty restaurant menu.

I was asking as DD likes the specialty restaurants, and while I'd like to save the $$$, if it meant she would just be given the regular "kids" menu from the MDR (which is NOT what they said it would be, BTW, just my own example here), I would prefer to pay the regular full price if needed so she could enjoy the regular menu of the restaurant, but I was told she would be able to order from the regular Chops, or Wonderland or whatever restaurant menu applied.

Thanks for posting this as both my kids love Chops and last cruise we went twice but they would not go if it meant eating off a separate kids menu. I'm like you. I would have paid the full price for them to eat off the regular menu but I will certainly take the savings. With this deal we may eat there three times next cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just got email from RCI

Up to 30% off Specialty Dining

Number of Reservations:

3 - 20% off

4 - 25% off

5+ - 30% off

Additional verbiage

Receive 20% of the value of your reservation if you book a specialty dining experience for the first day of your cruise. Traveling with the family? Kids ages 6-12 dine for only $8. Children younger than 5 years of age dine for free.

this is a bad idea , i go to get away from kids

We agree; it's bad enough with little ones in the dining room. We spent an entire

week with not one, but two screaming babies at the table right by our table.

The crew tried to get them move, but they wouldn't, since we had a fanntastic

table. So, it was a very long week!

This is bad news for me.

I am usually kid friendly (I never saw the issue with kids in the CL), but this move likely saves me dining and additional gratuity at least twice on a seven night cruise.

I can't imagine that I will pay $50-$75 extra to be in a restaurant full of kids.

First we have kids ( 3rd and 4th) sail free, and now this. The 3rd/4th promotion raised the prices for those who sail with just 2 in a cabin. I just had a hard time getting a balcony cabin on the Enchantment for only 2 people and now kids eat in a specialty restaurant for next to nothing.

M

I don't mind kids in the CL either: it's free. But if I'm paying $35pp for dinner, and the kids around me are all paying $8 for the same meal...no. And it wouldn't be as bad if it was a kid's meal for $8. But same meal, $8...no.

And the under 5's are there for free. No reason to get them a babysitter.

Edited by marci22

Can you just book these normally through the web site to get the discount, or do you need to call?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I had already booked my reservations for Quantum dynamic dining, so the C&A rep said the difference would be refunded onboard to our account.

Not sure how it works for a new booking now- haven't tried for our next sailing yet.

There we go. The dumbness is official.

Marci

I assume that comment was not directed at me but rather RCL...

Just to explain...it was not just any RCL rep....I actually saw the email from an East Coast Area Mgr that went to all travel agents in this reps territory...so I'm pretty sure this is accurate and not just he said she said going down the line

You do realize not all posts are gossip....some are facts :)

She sent me this because I am bringing family in July on Oasis and will have one 6 year old among us....although I am in the camp with the people who prefer NOT to have kids in Chops...12 and up maybe....but I would never subject a little one to a two hour fancy dinner ...wouldn't be enjoyable for me or the kid...let alone other passengers

welp this just ruined the specialty dining experience for me unless they limit kids to before a certain hour in order to get the free or reduced pricing.

and I will be quite willing to put in writing that the new policy is a deal breaker for us. ( last cruise we ate in every specialty PLUS Chef's table)

MarciShe sent me this because I am bringing family in July on Oasis and will have one 6 year old among us....although I am in the camp with the people who prefer NOT to have kids in Chops...12 and up maybe....but I would never subject a little one to a two hour fancy dinner ...wouldn't be enjoyable for me or the kid...let alone other passengers

No, I meant that it was a dumb idea to let kids order an adult meal in specialty for $8.

I had already booked my reservations for Quantum dynamic dining, so the C&A rep said the difference would be refunded onboard to our account.

Not sure how it works for a new booking now- haven't tried for our next sailing yet.

I just tried to make dining reservations online, and it told me to call...lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have to agree with other posters here. As a mom of 3 grown sons, I don't want to go to a specialty restaurant on board to deal with kids. I think my boys at their youngest were 12 or 13 when they first went to a specialty dining restaurant on board a ship. They were old enough to behave and be polite (and ate well). I vision families bringing way younger kids than that.

This certainly isn't a positive for me at all. I will be interested to see how filled up they are now in the specialty places.

:rolleyes:

For the record....the flyer she sent specifically states:

" Kids 6-12 now dine at Specialty restaurants for only $8 ! Ages 5 and under eat FREE ! Plus little sailors get their own menu - a round-up of kid friendly favorites from the "grown ups" menu. "

So still not exactly clear on who gets what menu...does that statement mean kid menu for under 5 or all kids....not really clear. I didn't bother following up because I don't intend to bring kids.

Well I won't be bringing the kid to Chops but I will ask nonetheless