Why aren't you able to just "buy" points?

Other cruise lines allow you points based not only on sailings/nights sailed but also award points at certain onboard spending levels. There are always posts of people looking how to get a few points here or there, why not encourage onboard spending by giving out a point for, say, every $300 spent onboard? I'm not (necessarily) a points chaser but I know people that are and would probably jump at the opportunity and gladly spend money for a point or two.

Now that RCI is going to lounges PLUS drink vouchers on seapass cards I don't see that it would cause massive crowding of lounges.

Bottom line: money. They actually don't want us to move up in status, as that means more perks and freebies. Why would they expedite that for only a few bucks? I think a loyalty program should be just that: based on loyalty to the line and past cruises.

Think about it; what are the two coveted perks/freebies, the heavy hitters? Balcony discounts and free drinks. Sure there are other benefits people enjoy, but those are the two big ones.

At $300 per point it would take quite a bit of money to really "move up fast".

Is RCI's program a loyalty program or a rewards program? I view it as a rewards program; slightly different than a loyalty program no matter what they call it.

Why expedite it for a few bucks? Because that's money NOW for future discounts which may not ever be taken and it's money NOW for future free drinks that are nowhere even remotely close to the cost/value of spending $300 per point.

What about a couple that books a JS but spends nothing onboard versus someone in a regular balcony who may spend $1K on board? After a week that JS has 14 points. The balcony has 7. Two people in a balcony + $1K in onboard expenses is probably close to, possibly exceeding, the total amount spent by those in the JS. In my scenario they would earn 3 additional points for spending.

Any time a program is created that entices point chasers you will see revenue grow. Obviously other cruise lines are not struggling with this arrangement as if it were a "problem".

Royal has a program for that. They call it a Grand Suite or better.;)

Dead on accurate. You can go from never having seen a ship to being in the CL that same night if you book a GS and up!

This guy goes through screennames reeeally fast.

Should I be flattered that you keep trolling my posts or just annoyed? :rolleyes:

It is getting a bit ridiculous. There's got to be a way to keep an individual from creating new user names everytime they "lose" one.;)

The poster is nothing if not consistent.

what is with that space/comma?

It's like an alert system.

It's definitely an alert since that's how that poster rolls, regardless of what name they're posting under. It was mentioned in another thread when he/she was using a different name.

Doesn't RCI refer to C&A as a loyalty program? If so then it doesn't really matter if other people consider it a rewards program. If someone is going to chase points then I suspect RCI would rather they buy a cruise or a suite for a few thousand dollars rather than sit home and buy a few points or buy a few drinks while on board.

Doesn't RCI refer to C&A as a loyalty program? If so then it doesn't really matter if other people consider it a rewards program. If someone is going to chase points then I suspect RCI would rather they buy a cruise or a suite for a few thousand dollars rather than sit home and buy a few points or buy a few drinks while on board.

It's all about increasing onboard spending per person. That suite in the future is going to sell anyways. Getting the rooms booked isn't the main problem. Getting people to spend money onboard IS a problem.

It's all about increasing onboard spending per person. That suite in the future is going to sell anyways. Getting the rooms booked isn't the main problem. Getting people to spend money onboard IS a problem.

And that provides even less reason for RCI to sell points. Folks in higher levels of the C&A program seem to have little trouble finding ways to get free drinks. It is to RCI's advantage to keep people at the lower levels as long a possible where they get benefits that are of little value.

And that provides even less reason for RCI to sell points. Folks in higher levels of the C&A program seem to have little trouble finding ways to get free drinks. It is to RCI's advantage to keep people at the lower levels as long a possible where they get benefits that are of little value.

But it DOES provide an incentive for people to spend on specialty dining. It provides an incentive for people to book excursions through the cruise line instead of going private. It may encourage people to spend another $50 because they are close to a line for getting that next point....

I'm not worried about Diamond Plus folks. Once most people hit that level there's no sense aggressively chasing points. The delta T to Pinnacle is enormous. Up until D+ though you have people who are solely focused on acquiring points and they WILL spend onboard to get them.

No change in plan or new plan makes sense for 100% of people. But from a business sense anything that brings in revenue now is better than something with no guarantee or promise of ever having to provide a benefit.

Other cruise lines allow you points based not only on sailings/nights sailed but also award points at certain onboard spending levels. There are always posts of people looking how to get a few points here or there, why not encourage onboard spending by giving out a point for, say, every $300 spent onboard? I'm not (necessarily) a points chaser but I know people that are and would probably jump at the opportunity and gladly spend money for a point or two.

Now that RCI is going to lounges PLUS drink vouchers on seapass cards I don't see that it would cause massive crowding of lounges.

Only my opinion but I like things just the way they are.

Royal has a program for that. They call it a Grand Suite or better.;)

JS or higher still get double points, I also sail on Hal and got a lot of points for my bar bills. I perfer RCCL benefits over Hal, Hal has nothing for free drinks, just disconts on resturants and free laundry.

Only my opinion but I like things just the way they are.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but for all the money you've spent on RCI ships you wouldn't want additional points for your spending? :confused:

It is getting a bit ridiculous. There's got to be a way to keep an individual from creating new user names everytime they "lose" one.;)

The poster is nothing if not consistent.

there is.. by linking ISP addresses. used to do it al the time as an ADMIN on a differnmt message forum( not cruise related). it is even possible to prevent the ISP address from posting at all and creating new IDs, even if they keep inventing throwaway email addresses.

pish tosh.. with the new rollout of special kids pricing to entice families to book specialties they are certainly finding new and exciting ways to get you to spend money on board.

That's not the worst idea in the world but your figure of $300 in on-board spending for one point isn't even in the ballpark. Let's see, now I get one point per cruise at a cost of let's say $500-1500 (cost of cruise; obviously this will vary). So let's say I spend $1000 on board and that's not out of line with our usual outlay. Your proposal would award 4 points for that cruise. I would not have to increase my on-board spending so your contention that it would stimulate more spending is not a given. And who would get those extra points if they are based on the stateroom account (careful how you answer that as my DW is standing behind me.;) As things stand now, to get those points we must cruise more and subsequently rack up more on-board spending so the cruise line would foolish to opt for your suggestion. Now if you proposed let's say one point per $1500-2000 in spending be it for the cruise or on-board then it might make sense for the cruise line to consider it.

Rather than fixating on buying more credits, why not just spend that money for what you consider important to you be it drinks, balconies or whatever.

That's not the worst idea in the world but your figure of $300 in on-board spending for one point isn't even in the ballpark. Let's see, now I get one point per cruise at a cost of let's say $500-1500 (cost of cruise; obviously this will vary). So let's say I spend $1000 on board and that's not out of line with our usual outlay. Your proposal would award 4 points for that cruise.

You do not get one point per cruise. You get one point per night for rooms Balcony category and below. You get 2 points per night in a Junior Suite or higher.

Solo cruisers earn a bonus point for each scenario (so 2 points for balcony or below, 3 points for JS or higher. Some call this "double points" but that is not accurate, they are bonus points).

I selected $300 per point because that is what HAL charges and have to start somewhere...

Drinks would count towards onboard spending. Balconies obviously would not. You are buying points via onboard spending, not spending $300 directly ON a point.

Edited by LMaxwell

You can buy points!!!! Book more cruises!!!!