Finding the name of a passenger?

Ok I'll just try somewhere else

A lot of roll calls go on for a while after the cruise ends. You should find your way to that roll call and post - giving as much information about the person and asking if anyone might know him/her. At the least, you could read all the posts - very often someone maintains a list of people who joined the roll call - I sometimes with cabin numbers and first names - possibly with home town or home state. I do not like giving out that much information, bu many people do, so with a bit of detective work on the roll call you might get lucky.

OP can go on the roll call, post that "This is Jane Doe and I met John Smith from Tangyangyika but did not get his contact info.

John, I would like to get in touch. If you are here on the roll call, if so, let me know".

Totally different situation. I was talking about a third party providing information, not the person being sought.

Actually, i spent almost every day with this person. There's more to conversations than just discussing the city that you live in. The country is not a big one, it's not like I'm just saying they're from the United States.

With all respect, if you spent almost every day with this person, it doesn't make sense you didn't share something so basic as where you/they are from. It's most often one of the first question people on a cruise ask those they are newly meeting.

You didn't think to give them contact information?

If they wanted you to contact them, it seems odd they didn't give you e-mail/contact information.

The cruise line is highly unlikely to find an address/full name for:

Jane

name of ship

sailing date

Do you know what cabin number he/she occupied?

You don't have enough info even if they were inclined to forward a letter from you to this person.

Edited by sail7seas

Good job you weren't a client of mine, then ;)

But WHY would you be furious? :confused:

You respond or you ignore.

Do you get furious about junk mail ?

JB :)

i;d be more upset with YOU for passing it along. I would have no way or knowing how much of my privacy you did or did not breach. all I have is your word that all you did was pass on the letter/info.

Unless I tell you it is okay to do so I do NOT want to be contacted via you or any other professional relationship( Travel agent, doctor's offcie, etc)

i;d be more upset with YOU for passing it along. I would have no way or knowing how much of my privacy you did or did not breach. all I have is your word that all you did was pass on the letter/info.

Unless I tell you it is okay to do so I do NOT want to be contacted via you or any other professional relationship( Travel agent, doctor's offcie, etc)

Really?

You probably have an email address, a street address, and a phone number like I do.

And each and every one of them gets hit by the robots that make contact.

And I lucked out when the Prince of Nairobi whose uncle died in a horrific plane crash contacted me to take possession of his $600 million in gold bullion.

Seriously, I get contacted by everything imaginable daily. Some of them even want to make my penis larger:confused:, and I have yet to get "upset".

To me, just not a big deal.

Thanks for coming back.

Acknowledged that it's the intermediary (me / cruise line / T/A or whoever) that you'd be upset with.

But we all hold all sorts of information about different people, and they about us. In most cases we've got no way of knowing whether our privacy has been breached, we can only trust in others. But of course forwarding a letter is not a breach of privacy. BTW, omitted from my post, the letter in an unsealed envelope of course, so that the intermediary knows what they're forwarding

Long time ago I needed to contact the former owner of a house I'd bought, to get background on drainage location before starting building work. I made contact in that manner through the guy's lawyer. The lawyer certainly didn't want to mess with getting permission from the guy to have a letter forwarded, he simply forwarded it - though he did say I should have sent it to my lawyer to forward it to him to forward it to his client.

The guy was happy to answer my query. No fuss. No problem.

Mebbe we're on different sides of the Pond, or mebbe you & I just have different psyches. ;)

BTW re other posts:

None of us were there.

The OP didn't give the other folks their contact details, but wishes they had.

Ergo, although the other party didn't offer contact details there's no reason to presume they wouldn't welcome contact.

All of which is academic cos I think the prospects, by whatever means, are somewhere between super-slim & zero. ;)

PS World Cup. You're winning 1-0, but hanging on with 20 mins to go.:)

Edit: Spoke too soon. 1 - 1 with 7 mins to go.

USA 2 - 1 Ghana. 3 mins to go. Great game.

Edited by John Bull

With all respect, if you spent almost every day with this person, it doesn't make sense you didn't share something so basic as where you/they are from. It's most often one of the first question people on a cruise ask those they are newly meeting.

If they wanted you to contact them, it seems odd they didn't give you e-mail/contact information.

Jane

name of ship

sailing date

You don't have enough info even if they were inclined to forward a letter from you to this person.

Sail, you took the words right out of my mouth. :D

If I was this other person I would be very afraid.

Huh ? :confused:

Re a couple of posts on this thread, I see no problem whatsoever with the cruise line forwarding mail, It's something I've done for clients many times as a matter of courtesy

Can anyone explain how they could be upset by that. :confused:

Especially if it were something to the addressee's advantage. ;)

The problem would be whether the cruise line would be prepared to go to the bother. And I don't think they would.

Jane

name of ship

sailing date

As Sail states, how would the cruise line, even if they were so inclined (and I guess they wouldn't be for reasons of liability alone) even be able to go on just a first name, country of origin, sailing date if that's all the OP has?

So probably the best thing the OP could try is to find the roll call (as mentioned by several people) and say he or she is trying to find this person and then give whatever info plus description of person and see if someone knows who it is.

But 1) as has also been stated, only a percentage of cruise passengers belong to Cruise Critic or even go on the roll calls (or maybe even check out the roll call after the cruise), and

2) Maybe even if the description rings a bell with someone, they might not know the name of the person and probably wouldn't have any idea how to contact that person.

Sorry, but this is reality.

Thanks for coming back.

Acknowledged that it's the intermediary (me / cruise line / T/A or whoever) that you'd be upset with.

But we all hold all sorts of information about different people, and they about us. In most cases we've got no way of knowing whether our privacy has been breached, we can only trust in others. But of course forwarding a letter is not a breach of privacy. BTW, omitted from my post, the letter in an unsealed envelope of course, so that the intermediary knows what they're forwarding

Long time ago I needed to contact the former owner of a house I'd bought, to get background on drainage location before starting building work. I made contact in that manner through the guy's lawyer. The lawyer certainly didn't want to mess with getting permission from the guy to have a letter forwarded, he simply forwarded it - though he did say I should have sent it to my lawyer to forward it to him to forward it to his client.

The guy was happy to answer my query. No fuss. No problem.

Mebbe we're on different sides of the Pond, or mebbe you & I just have different psyches. ;)

BTW re other posts:

None of us were there.

The OP didn't give the other folks their contact details, but wishes they had.

Ergo, although the other party didn't offer contact details there's no reason to presume they wouldn't welcome contact.

All of which is academic cos I think the prospects, by whatever means, are somewhere between super-slim & zero. ;)

PS World Cup. You're winning 1-0, but hanging on with 20 mins to go.:)

Edit: Spoke too soon. 1 - 1 with 7 mins to go.

USA 2 - 1 Ghana. 3 mins to go. Great game.

In your situation, you're talking about someone whose identity can be traced and a contact made. A cruise line would be under no obligation to help out in this case as there's no way to know this isn't a stalking situation -- even if the OP had a complete name and cabin number.

I take it you are not listed in any telephone directory, association member list, religious organization publication, school alumni publication, or anything similar.

Of course I suppose it is your privilege, but please explain what you are afraid of.

I take it you are not listed in any telephone directory, association member list, religious organization publication, school alumni publication, or anything similar.

Of course I suppose it is your privilege, but please explain what you are afraid of.

Nope none of those. I just don't like being cold called. If I want or need services that is what google and yelp are for. And this goes double for a random person I meet in passing on a cruise ship. We spent a lot of time with a particular female Aussie on board. Recommended some shore spots in Monterrey and ran into her there as well. I figure if she wanted to stay in touch she would have said so.

We also spent many dinners in the company of another couple. Names were exchanged the first day but ill be dammed if we ever used them again.....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Huh ? :confused:

Re a couple of posts on this thread, I see no problem whatsoever with the cruise line forwarding mail, It's something I've done for clients many times as a matter of courtesy

Can anyone explain how they could be upset by that. :confused:

Especially if it were something to the addressee's advantage. ;)

The problem would be whether the cruise line would be prepared to go to the bother. And I don't think they would.

Let's see ... you are a 35 YO man that had spent much time following around and hitting on my 12 YO daughter every chance you got. You managed to hear her name when you were stalking her but since she actually didn't know you she gave you no personal information. You got the country she was from the same way. Now, as a sick SOB you are trying to track her down through the cruise line. My minor child gets a letter in the mail telling her how much the 35 YO wants her and what he wants to do to her. Does that spell out why it might be inappropriate?

On one cruise there was a 50ish YO guy that kept asking my daughter and her friend (both were in their late 20s) to come back to his room so he could photograph them. Yes, he followed them around. Yes, we alerted security and yes it was taken seriously. I could see that guy trying to get their personal information as well.

Not that my mind's in the gutter or anything, but finding out about being preggers or having an STD did cross my mind. It could be as simple as providing some info or product that the OP didn't have or plan to have till they left the ship.

Most likely not, but you can always go on Facebook or check out peoplefinders dot com and plan to spend the time needed to find this person- it's their journey, their decision

I just wanted to add for John Bull: you were forwarding something from someone you knew and the same for the lawyer. This is a complete stranger asking for another person's information. That is totally different. Princess (and it's employees) can hardly be expected to know this guy personally.

I'll add in another story. When my daughter was 14 I picked up the phone one day and she is talking to this male voice. I ask her who she is talking to - the guy tells me to F off and get off the phone. Are you kidding me! Oh and he was in in late 20s. Suffice to say, my daughter never talked to him again. I found out where he worked, that he was calling her on company time and as a representative of said company. Believe me he was sorry he made that call.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Not that my mind's in the gutter or anything, but finding out about being preggers or having an STD did cross my mind. It could be as simple as providing some info or product that the OP didn't have or plan to have till they left the ship.

Most likely not, but you can always go on Facebook or check out peoplefinders dot com and plan to spend the time needed to find this person- it's their journey, their decision

With only a first name and where they live?

They don't even know where the person lives. Only the country. How many times have people said "you live in Vancouver Canada...do you know John Smith? He lives in Toronto?" You live in Sydney Australia. Do you know Henry Jones - he lives in the outback". And those people have last names!

If they really want to find this person, let them figure it out and spend their precious time doing it.

With the limited information the OP gave as to why they 'really' needed to find this person, I'm suspect that they may be looking for someone.who.worked.on the ship

Ok, are there pax whom you see and talk to everyday ?

I.haven't been on a cruise in.20 years and I remember the servers in the dining room with their name tags(first name) and country where they were from. This is all we know.about the person the OP is looking for. + they spoke every day, period.

I may be all.wet,- that's happened before.

And I lucked out when the Prince of Nairobi whose uncle died in a horrific plane crash contacted me to take possession of his $600 million in gold bullion.

Seriously, I get contacted by everything imaginable daily. Some of them even want to make my penis larger:confused:, and I have yet to get "upset".

To me, just not a big deal.

Seems to me with the $600 Mil in gold it wouldn't matter how big your penis was. Just saying

As for the original question:

It's super creepy to try and reconnect with someone after a cruise who's name you don't really know or even the place they live. Maybe you had some good times, but I would say "it's over, move on"!

Creepy, stalking, pregnant, HIV, hitting on a minor ..........

Wow, there's some vivid imaginations out there.

The OP isn't a complete stranger to the cruise line. They have the OP's name, address, e-mail address, card details, perhaps even passport details & past cruising history.

So, Notentirely, I'm a sick SOB who sends an open letter via the cruise line to your 12-year-old daughter telling her that I want her and what I want to do to her.

Does that get me her contact details?

Or does cruise line get - & hand to the police - the written confession of a paedophile, plus his contact details?

And the OP makes a lousy stalker, a rank amateur. Asking for contact details in the first place would have made the stalking a lot easier.:rolleyes:

I sleep easy at night by not dreaming up such scenarios of doom - we're talking about simply forwarding an open letter, one that the recipient might want to receive, or can simply put in the bin along with the day's junk mail.

But there we go - different folk, different psyches. ;)

Creepy, stalking, pregnant, HIV, hitting on a minor ..........

Wow, there's some vivid imaginations out there.

Makes for interesting reads, ey?:rolleyes:

Every time I transmit a STD:eek: I try to get my partners name and at least inform him, but, if I forgot to, I guess it is my duty to track him down.:rolleyes: