Carry on bags, end of cruise?

Veng

So I know you put your baggage on the night before the cruise ends and it magically ends up somewhere (not exactly sure where, but I'm guessing it's there right after you depart. What about carry on bags, backpacks, and laptop bags and such? Do those get put out the night before or do you carry those items off with you in the morning?

Your bags appear ashore, where you must collect them before you go through Immigration and Customs. Any items you put out the night before go there. Otherwise you carry off any items you didn't out, like your carry on, laptop, etc.

Of course you only put out standard items like checked bags. Not valuables, like laptops, etc.

CruiserBruce has it right as usual.

I just wanted to note that we place a lock on each of the bags we put outside. Yes, anyone if they want to could cut the lock but we feel that someone wanting to open a bag would likely just open one without a lock. We started doing this about 10 years ago after someone we know had some items removed from their bag. Just something to think about.

Keith

You will want to keep a bag to put your last evenings clothes in, and the toiletries that you will use in the morning! Some folks forget and put EVERYTHING out...and have nothing to wear in the morning!

NEVER, EVER check anything of value....always keep those items in your possession!

If you are physically capable of handling your own bags, it isn't necessary to put anything out the night before. Just sign up for "self-debarkation". Way easier. Less stressful than waking up suddenly in the middle of the night with the thought that you packed something you might need in the morning, and no fighting the crowds to pick up your bags once ashore.

Edited by srlafleur

As we have cruised more we have opted for the self disembarkation. We try not to pack as much as we used to on our early cruises so that we can just pull what luggage we have taken and walk off the ship when we are ready mostly at the first opportunity.

As others have noted what luggage you have set out the night before disembarkation will be arranged by the colored tags in a large warehouse like area for you to pick up after you have disembarked. I would not put out laptop bags but mostly the large luggage that you have.

Any medication or important or valuable items are always in what ever we walk off the ship with and not with the luggage that is set out the last night.

Don't stress find what works best for you and enjoy your cruise.

Teri

You will want to keep a bag to put your last evenings clothes in, and the toiletries that you will use in the morning! Some folks forget and put EVERYTHING out...and have nothing to wear in the morning!

This problem actually has two extremes: don't put all of your clothes out the night before, but also don't put all of your bags out the night before. You need something (maybe just a backpack) to carry out your toiletries and PJs, etc.

Awesome, thanks guys, so much good information here. I'll probably just do self disembark then, it sounds much easier and less hassle. I'm paranoid when it comes to airlines losing luggage and such, so that sounds like a much less stressful approach.

We just put our overnight clothes in the carry-ons which contain all medications, camera, Laptop when I bring one, valuables, etc. We have a back pack for toiletries since we have to stay overnight in a hotel since we fly home.

We also have locks on our suitcases that we put out into the hallway.

You luggage will be in a big baggage area when you get off the ship. They set up by colors an d numbers.

Are you able to carry your bags on the cruise or does it need to be checked and delivered?

Nothing larger than airline carry-on size will fit through the xray, and you probably wouldn't want to lug them anyway. While you can usually embark around lunch time (11:30 or so), the rooms aren't usually ready for a couple more hours. You don't want to be schlepping big bags around with you while you lunch and explore the ship.

Keep anything of value (laptops, cameras, etc.) or dire importance (medications) with you in a carryon.

Also, if you are so inclined, bring your swimsuit (and sunscreen, etc.) in the carryon. It's possible your bags will get to your room well after you do.

Edited by srlafleur

Nothing larger than airline carry-on size will fit through the xray, and you probably wouldn't want to lug them anyway. While you can usually embark around lunch time (11:30 or so), the rooms aren't usually ready for a couple more hours. You don't want to be schlepping big bags around with you while you lunch and explore the ship.

Keep anything of value (laptops, cameras, etc.) or dire importance (medications) with you in a carryon.

Also, if you are so inclined, bring your swimsuit (and sunscreen, etc.) in the carryon. It's possible your bags will get to your room well after you do.

We usually self-disembark, we pack very light.

Embarkation we usually do leave as much as we can at check-in (including "personal item" carry-ons - we keep valuables with us but usually just 1 small day-bag for the two of us). For embarkation, most (all?) ports will check only bags that can close fully, so they will not check open-topped totes unless they have a closure.

Don't worry, ymmv, some of us love the control of having our 'stuff' with us, others prefer to carry as little as possible, most of us are somewhere in the middle. Have a great trip :)

I'm all about extending the relaxation. Our two checked bags go out in the hallway. I'm going to give them to the airline anyway so I have no expectation of control anyway.

Our two rolling carryons and personal items stay with us with any valuables.

I'm staying an extra night in Miami so no need to rush off the ship. I just enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You always want to keep important things with you - meaning you take them off the ship yourself in your carry-on bags. I have noticed that each cruise more and more people seem to "self-disembark" hauling all their things with them. It is tempting, as it means getting off the ship first and not having to search for your things among thousands of other people's bags in the terminal - but there are some who are either not physically strong enough, or have so many bags with them, that they slow everyone down.

I've found that, the more we cruise, the less "crap" we drag along with us. Makes the self-debarkation so much easier. I usually carry the suitcase, a backpack and the garment bag. "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" has the carry-on with the toiletries, make-up and valuables.

Since we either are driving home or make sure we're not booking an early flight out (we have usually add a post-cruise stay in the latter case), we're not going to rush off the ship. Why end a relaxing cruise by schlepping off luggage when we can just pick it up in the baggage area? And I believe in being considerate and letting those who somehow booked morning flights, who are probably going to be stressed out, off before us.

So we'll put a morning outfit on the chair for the next day, and put our toiletries, medications, valuables in our carry-ons. Everything else goes into the suitcases and those go into the hall.

There are a lot of good comments on this forum about luggage.

Keep all your valuable items always with you, in whatever you walk off with, don’t forget to set aside and don't pack whatever you will wear the next day.