oasis having propulsion problems

Currently on the Oasis. Sometime in the early morning the Oasis had a problem with one of the izopods. We can only make 17 knots top speed. Delayed 4 hours to St. Thomas.

We were given a $450 dollar stateroom credit to make up for the lost time. They are saying the rest of the cruise will be ok. They also extended the time we leave both islands by one hour.

That's the best compensation for a relatively minor delay I have ever heard of! WOW!

Right? I would be totally okay with a four hour delay if they gave me even $100 onboard credit. Heck, I'd do it for a dinner at a specialty restaurant. Congrats on such a great compensation!

That's an amazing credit, almost unheard of! :eek:

Then again, with their recent and ongoing IT problems, perhaps it was a wise choice. :D

Just to clarify, they are called "azipods". They're amazing pieces of technology. It's still hard to imagine electric motors that big, but such has been around for a long time.

The captain said that one of the engines failed. I do not know if that is one of the azipods or turbines. Can 2 of the 3 azipods keep us up at 17.8 knots? I thought if one of the turbine generators was out there would be less power to send to the azipods

As for next week I do not know.

The captain said that one of the engines failed. I do not know if that is one of the azipods or turbines. Can 2 of the 3 azipods keep us up at 17.8 knots? I thought if one of the turbine generators was out there would be less power to send to the azipods

As for next week I do not know.

Oasis does not have turbine engines, those are only on Radiance class. Oasis has 6 diesel engines that turn generators to create electric power.

Edited by clarea

PLEASE let us know what happens! We sail this Saturday as well and hope this doesn't disrupt the trip. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kevin

Sounds like you are on the Western itinerary; that is a shorter total distance. I sailed on Allure when it had one pod down and there was no problem with meeting the original timetables at reduced speeds. The Eastern itinerary can be an issue if there is propulsion trouble.

CVU, that´s why the TA has only one stop :D!

steamboats

Gee, we got way less when we missed St. Thomas in 2010 on the Oasis (I remember 200 $ future cruise credit for our balcony cabin with 3 people, suites got more).

If it is like Allure's pod issue of earlier this year Western routes should be fine. Eastern sailings with greater distances from Nassau to St Thomas is where delayed arrivals occur. If I remember correctly they might have left St Martin a bit earlier to arrive in Port Everglades on time.

We are sailing on Oasis's next Eastern cruise a week Saturday so we will find out then if the propulsion issue will continue.

Currently on the Oasis. Sometime in the early morning the Oasis had a problem with one of the izopods. We can only make 17 knots top speed. Delayed 4 hours to St. Thomas.

Since you are onboard now, maybe you can get some more detailed information from the crew? Talk to one of bartenders, waitstaff or the cabin stewards you may have befriended. Keep us updated as many of us travel aboard Oasis 6/21.

Also tell who got you that huge credit? We all want one of those. 😇