Dress for Blu?

I wear Polo jeans or colored jean every night in Blu. I don't bring formal wear at all. Not even a sports jacket. I was wearing dockers, but gave that up when I got Polo jeans in a khaki color. I'm within the rules and I'm comfortable with wearing it. Our last cruises while dining in Blu at night. I saw 2 men wearing t-shirts. I thought men had to have a collared shirt. It is not my call or my business.

While dress in Blu is smart casual every night, you will find that on formal night most people in the restaurant dress up at least somewhat. On our cruise last fall it was about 60% suits or tuxes, 30% sport coats and 10% nice aloha shirts or dress shirts. This was in Europe. In the Caribbean or Alaska I would expect more shirts and sport coats (without tie) and fewer suits. Shorts are not seen at dinner except in the buffet.

While dress in Blu is smart casual every night, you will find that on formal night most people in the restaurant dress up at least somewhat. On our cruise last fall it was about 60% suits or tuxes, 30% sport coats and 10% nice aloha shirts or dress shirts. This was in Europe. In the Caribbean or Alaska I would expect more shirts and sport coats (without tie) and fewer suits. Shorts are not seen at dinner except in the buffet.
Based on my Aqua Connie Caribbean cruise in March , you are correct.

Suits were about a third, sports jackets 40 % with the rest not wearing any jacket.

This was certainly more "dressed up" then on the non-formal nights but really not an issue.

Similarly women were also more "dressed up" then on other nights.

I wear Polo jeans or colored jean every night in Blu. I don't bring formal wear at all. Not even a sports jacket. I was wearing dockers, but gave that up when I got Polo jeans in a khaki color. I'm within the rules and I'm comfortable with wearing it. Our last cruises while dining in Blu at night. I saw 2 men wearing t-shirts. I thought men had to have a collared shirt. It is not my call or my business.

One reason I could talk DH into AQ for one of our upcoming cruises was that you don't have to bring a suit. Thanks for confirming this.

One reason I could talk DH into AQ for one of our upcoming cruises was that you don't have to bring a suit. Thanks for confirming this.

Men also need to wear shirts with sleeves. On our May summit cruise I saw them turn away a gentleman who was wearing a sleeveless t shirt (not a tank top)

Steve

We generally follow the formal dress code on formal nights when in Blu, but for the first time on the Constellation TA last April we didn't dress quite as smartly on formal nights. Since we were spending some time in Europe and traveling by train we packed lighter than we generally do. On formal nights I wore a black dress, which can be either dressed up or down, with nice shawls, and quite frankly I felt a little underdressed. My husband wore a navy jacket with nice pants and tie, and even he stated that he felt a little underdressed.

We only been in Aqua Class once and we did not bring formal clothes. In fact my husband didn't even bring a jacket. For our upcoming cruise, we'll probably bring dressier clothes and my husband will most definitely bring a jacket.

We were on Reflection in the Med in May, and I must say that most people dressed up for formal nights in Blu. We saw a few in just a shirt, but most of the men were wearing at least a sport coat and tie, and the ladies were also dressed up. Your experience may vary, of course. But I know my DH would be uncomfortable if he felt underdressed.

We are going on the Reflection in May in Aqua Class. We are planning on packing light for the two week trip The plan is to dress smart casual every night. We are to the point where we don't worry about being under dressed. We like to leave plenty of room in the suitcases for souvenirs and goodies.

Blu is smart casual every night. No shorts. It does not have formal night but you will find some people do dress formal for blu. As long as you're smart casual and above, you'll be fine.

Totally agree - we usually are in Aqua, and therefore Blu for dinner and have found this to be the case; I believe somewhere on the ship documentation it will say that it is Smart Casual every night. My partner and I like to dress up on formal nights, so you will see some people dressed for the occasion but you will not be out of place at all. Hope you enjoy Blu! :-)

We are going on the Reflection in May in Aqua Class. We are planning on packing light for the two week trip The plan is to dress smart casual every night. We are to the point where we don't worry about being under dressed. We like to leave plenty of room in the suitcases for souvenirs and goodies.

We are at the point where we don't buy souvenirs or goodies anymore:D Been there, done that. I now use the room for shoes and clothes!!!

We have found European cruises are more formal that ones which start and finish in the States. We have no experience of Australia/NewZealand or other parts of the world. However I have never seen anyone turned away when they were dressed in smart clothes....remember there is a good cleaning service so one shirt could do three formal evenings. I have seen many different Polo shirts or any shirt with a collar and sleeves of any length.

IMHO Europe is more formal than the States in a lot of ways.......quite a few years ago my husband turned up to audit a site in Texas in his ordinary everyday suit and tie and was asked who he had come to arrested ....needlessly to say he had to go shopping before he went to his next site....simply because people referred to him as the Suit.

Blu is smart casual every night. No shorts. It does not have formal night but you will find some people do dress formal for blu. As long as you're smart casual and above, you'll be fine.

I guess my husband was correct. He said he would be fine with his camel hair jacket and nice slacks in Blu (on the Summit) on our upcoming trip (I think it's the last sailing) to Bermuda, on formal nights. I said he should bring a suit, like he did last year. He'd never go without a jacket on formal nights or even wear jeans or shorts/t-shirt other nights.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for!

Where do I find what smart casual specifically means? (I work in an industry where it's the norm to wear t-shirts and shorts to the office in the summer... lol)

Where do I find what smart casual specifically means? (I work in an industry where it's the norm to wear t-shirts and shorts to the office in the summer... lol)

If it looks like a Banana Republic Mannequin then you're probably safe :) Long pants and a shirt will always be fine.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.. Below is the definition directly from Celebrity's web site.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

Many of the responses that you received are just opinions and you should remember that the dress code in BLU is "smart casual and above" so the choice is yours. Someone alluded to Jeans and they are definitely allowed in the dining rooms, they used to be prohibited but were removed from the prohibited list a few years. I personally would never wear them in Bermuda due to the heat.

Edited by dkjretired