missed port Canaveral departure - how to get to Coco cay on your own

mapltc

In case the worst happens and we miss our departure out of Port Canaveral, can anyone tell me if we can feasibly catch up with our ship (Freedom of the Seas) in Coco Cay?

I know there are flights from Orlando to the Bahamas but both airports are quite a distance (by water) to Coco Cay.

thanks,

MAPLTC

Coco Cay is RCI's private island. I very much doubt you could fly there on your own.

How tight is your arrival?

We arrive into Orlando at 12:45 and the ship leaves Port Canaveral at 4:30. I know, it is not what we would normally do, but this is just the way it worked this time.

Have made arrangements for a car to meet us but I just wanted to cover all contingencies, if possible.

I've email RCCL but wanted to know if anyone else knew if it could be done.

Edited by mapltc

We arrive into Orlando at 12:45 and the ship leaves Port Canaveral at 4:30. I know, it is not what we would normally do, but this is just the way it worked this time.

Have made arrangements for a car to meet us but I just wanted to cover all contingencies, if possible.

I've email RCCL but wanted to know if anyone else knew if it could be done.

You need to be checked in at the port 90 minutes prior to departure so 3 pm, they do not usually make any exceptions.

As far as flying to Coco Cay, it is a small privately owned island. You will not be able to fly there. You might be able to fly to another island and try to hire a boat to bring you to Coco Cay but it would be crazy expensive.

Your best bet is to have only carry on luggage and get to that car as soon as possible. MCO is a big airport, it is going to take some time to get from the gate to the tram to the main terminal building. The ride to the port is about 45 minutes with no traffic.

Have you looked into changing your flights? Is there an early flight that you could possibly move to or at least go standby?

Good luck, I hope you make it.

If you don't check in and board at the initial departure port, in this case Port Canaveral, would they even let you board further down the line at another port?

I know if you are already onboard and you miss the ship at another port you can catch up later. But in that instance you've already been processed through at departure and on the manifest.

:confused:

If you don't check in and board at the initial departure port, in this case Port Canaveral, would they even let you board further down the line at another port?

I know if you are already onboard and you miss the ship at another port you can catch up later. But in that instance you've already been processed through at departure and on the manifest.

Yes, you can as long as you can fly into the next port. A friend of mine could not leave on her cruise due to a last minute complication and she flew to Grand Cayman and boarded the ship there. Of course that flight was her own expense as well as the hotel she stayed in prior to the ships arrival there.

However in the case of Coco Cay they do not have an airport there.

To the OP.......you have to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing. You are cutting it too close in my opinion. If any little thing goes wrong you will not make it. Your next option would be to fly to the next port which is probably St Thomas. This will not only be expensive but you'll miss half your cruise.

Edited by Marie51

Yes, you can. You just need to call the emergency number in your documents and make arrangements to board in another port. You will be met at the pier at that port and go through the check in process there. The cruise line will make all the arrangements to get you to the next port if you miss departure and had choice air. If you have independant air, it is up to you to cover the costs. You can possible try to file with your travel insurance but I doubt they would cover missing a ship due to a flight that was supposed to arrive so late.

You're cutting it WAYYYY too close....if you're flight is late you're toast..... If there's traffic, you're toast.....

Can you change your flight? Come in a day ahead??

There is NOOOOOO way I would arrive at an airport that's close to an hour away from the cruise pier with 2 hours to spare to get to the ship and checked in.

In case the worst happens and we miss our departure out of Port Canaveral, can anyone tell me if we can feasibly catch up with our ship (Freedom of the Seas) in Coco Cay?

MAPLTC

Sounds like you can't change the flight you have booked.

If you can't leave another time, then yes, I'd look to the first stop after Coco Cay. Line up all the flight info as well as hotel choices before you leave home. That way at least you won't be hustling just for info.

Good luck. Since you can't do anything other than be prepared ahead of time with any info you'll need, all you can do is cross your fingers and make sure your cell phone is charged and you can use the web too.

I'd also pack as light as possible.

Edited by eandj

Yes, you can as long as you can fly into the next port. A friend of mine could not leave on her cruise due to a last minute complication and she flew to Grand Cayman and boarded the ship there. Of course that flight was her own expense as well as the hotel she stayed in prior to the ships arrival there.

Some cruiselines do specify "next port protection" in their insurance for passengers who miss embarkation if a flight booked through the cruise line is delayed or cancelled. But for round-trip cruises ships are increasingly denying passengers the ability to join midway for any other reason. If the manifest at disembarkation has additional passengers than the one from embarkation (other than guest entertainers) ICE can--and will--insist on face-to-face immigration interviews onboard the ship with no one allowed to disembark until the conclusion. A couple years ago this happened to a Carnival ship at Port Everglades with passengers trapped onboard until nearly 1:00.

So DO NOT book the flight to the next port until you receive permission from the cruise line first. And try to find a true cancel-for-any-reason insurance policy.

Edited by fishywood

Thanks for the information - especially the helpful ones! I know it is not a great situation - just hope the anxiety doesn't kill me:confused: We wanted to take our kids on a cruise before my son enters the Marines and this is the only time that worked for all of us. I hope the travel gods will be smiling on all of us that day!

given the situation - I just wanted to have contingency plans if things go poorly and I appreciate your insight and will check with RCCL to see what options, if any, are available.

Keep your fingers crossed, please. Thanks,

mapltc

not to pile on

but

there was a thread recently from a couple who arrived at the terminal 5 minutes after they closed the doors - and the doors stayed closed .... NO EXCEPTIONS - the ship didn't leave for quite some time but once boarding is over it is due to Immigration, Customs, and CG rules for security. Unless a later departure is arranged the ship can not just let you slip in thru the door . . . I HAVE seen exception when a bunch of folks were on a flight booked by the cruise line and the ship DID wait for them and they WERE let on . .

Thanks for the information - especially the helpful ones! I know it is not a great situation - just hope the anxiety doesn't kill me:confused: We wanted to take our kids on a cruise before my son enters the Marines and this is the only time that worked for all of us. I hope the travel gods will be smiling on all of us that day!

given the situation - I just wanted to have contingency plans if things go poorly and I appreciate your insight and will check with RCCL to see what options, if any, are available.

Keep your fingers crossed, please. Thanks,

mapltc

The problem isn't getting to Coco Key because you could drive down Miami and hire a boat ($$$$) but the problem is customs and immigration getting on the boat.

That said, call the airlines, the cruise lines and EVERY SINGLE outlet involved and let them know this is your last vacation with your son before he deploys.

When you get to the airport, go to the desk at the gate and let them know the same thing and if you are even remotely going to be delayed, beg for help.

Call the airlines and beg them to change your flights and let them know your son is deploying and this is your last family vacation.

The airlines are super fantastic with our military, I've seen it time and time again. Call your airline and let them help.

not to pile on

but

there was a thread recently from a couple who arrived at the terminal 5 minutes after they closed the doors - and the doors stayed closed .... NO EXCEPTIONS - the ship didn't leave for quite some time but once boarding is over it is due to Immigration, Customs, and CG rules for security. Unless a later departure is arranged the ship can not just let you slip in thru the door . . . I HAVE seen exception when a bunch of folks were on a flight booked by the cruise line and the ship DID wait for them and they WERE let on . .

We cruise out of PC all the time, and people are getting on during muster all the time. I say go for it. Think of all the stories you will have to tell either way:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We cruise out of PC all the time, and people are getting on during muster all the time. I say go for it. Think of all the stories you will have to tell either way:thumbup:

Thanks John and LaLA! Now maybe I will be able to get a bit more sleep the night before we leave!

Looks like your really like Freedom of the Seas or is it just their itineraries that appeal to you. Any tips suggestions you have about this ship? We'll be traveling with four 25+ year olds (we're in our mid 50's).

mapltc

The people that are boarding later than any others are generally those who booked their air and transp. with the cruiseline. The ship will wait for that group ... IF it doesn't screw up their itinerary schedule.

We have had delays in leaving the port when there have been flight delays...but if too late and on a tight schedule, the ship's Captain will make the call. No guarantees for those folks either.

Thanks John and LaLA! Now maybe I will be able to get a bit more sleep the night before we leave!

Looks like your really like Freedom of the Seas or is it just their itineraries that appeal to you. Any tips suggestions you have about this ship? We'll be traveling with four 25+ year olds (we're in our mid 50's).

mapltc

We really like PC. :o closest full time port to Atlanta, and a great little beach town. Freedom is just a plus

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

......... Any tips suggestions you have about this ship? We'll be traveling with four 25+ year olds (we're in our mid 50's).

mapltc

Hi, good luck in getting there on time.

There are lots of videos on youtube from the FOS , some of them we watched before our cruise on that ship in dec.

Here is link to one of them and when you open that page, you will find many others. Perhaps you will get some enjoyment and know what to expect.

Just to update everyone... I just got an email response from RCCL and indeed, you can't board the ship at CocoCay because they do not have any customs people there to check us in. But, they did say that we could catch up with the ship at their next stop in St. Thomas. Definitely not ideal, and hoping that we don't have to go that route, but knowing it is a possibility always helps!

Keeping all of our fingers crossed!!

Just to update everyone... I just got an email response from RCCL and indeed, you can't board the ship at CocoCay because they do not have any customs people there to check us in. But, they did say that we could catch up with the ship at their next stop in St. Thomas. Definitely not ideal, and hoping that we don't have to go that route, but knowing it is a possibility always helps!

Keeping all of our fingers crossed!!

Yes, you can catch up with the ship in St Thomas but it will be very expensive for all of you to buy airfare to get there...especially at the last minute.

I hope it works out for your group.