Cork Screw For Carry On Wine

No problem. We always carry a corkscrew with us when cruising. Never had a problem. Either carry on or checked, it will go thru. Ours is usually in our carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by brenderlou

Just ask your steward for one. They have the travel ones where the top part inserts into the section with the metal screw and you use that to pull it out. I have several of them and usually bring one, but we usually receive a bottle as a gift and a corkscrew is always there with it in our cabin.

Edited by BND

As someone said, steward will give you one. I always bring one with me too & have not had a problem, but my sister in law had hers confiscated at the same check-in as me... no rhyme or reason why.... except that hers was a nice one :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

As someone said, steward will give you one. I always bring one with me too & have not had a problem, but my sister in law had hers confiscated at the same check-in as me... no rhyme or reason why.... except that hers was a nice one :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just got off Navigator and Cabin Steward said they had all had theirs taken off of them. He made a comment about it being made harder for people who bring onboard to open.:confused: (We won a bottle on board and were trying to open!). Ended up have to get a bartender to open for us, which worked out fine as we got the wine onboard and didn't want to pay corkage fee, and as sailing into Galveston wanted to drink so I didn't have to pay the tax to bring ashore:rolleyes:

Edited by Spurschick

Heck, I have started ordering the bottles of San Pellegrino water, and they have the old-fashioned bottle caps that need THIS kind of opener:

church%20key-500x500.jpg

And there isn't one. No one on board seems to have one. :eek:

I NOW remember to bring one with me, but before that, I was basically S.O.L. I ended up buying a "souvenir" in port. :rolleyes:

Back to the specific topic:

You can take on your own wine bottle opener. I find the one that they provide, WHEN they provide it, is difficult to use. Bring your own; just don't bring one with a BIG knife blade on it. ;)

I carry a Swiss Army knife that has a cork screw and have never had a problem. In addition to opening wine the other attachments such as the screwdriver and knife blades are great for making travel repairs.

I had a corkscrew confiscated in Bayonne two weeks ago because it also had a small knife on it. They pulled it out of my carryon after X-ray. When I asked what they were looking for to help her find the item (thinking it was my Bose speaker airport security inspected on another trip) she told me my corkscrew can't have a knife. It worked out ok. We got one from our cabin attendant.

Merion Mom, seriously? That's insane, I need that kind of opener for my Corona bottles, lol. You'd think the bartenders would have one for the beer if nothing else. I'd be all set though, my Reef brand flip flops have a built in opener...I had no clue what it was when I bought it, my teen DD had to clue me in :D.

Heck, I have started ordering the bottles of San Pellegrino water, and they have the old-fashioned bottle caps that need THIS kind of opener:

church%20key-500x500.jpg

And there isn't one. No one on board seems to have one. :eek:

I NOW remember to bring one with me, but before that, I was basically S.O.L. I ended up buying a "souvenir" in port. :rolleyes:

Back to the specific topic:

You can take on your own wine bottle opener. I find the one that they provide, WHEN they provide it, is difficult to use. Bring your own; just don't bring one with a BIG knife blade on it. ;)

Also known as a "church-key". I found a small portable corkscrew (no blade) at Walgreens the other day for $2.27. I've been just taking screwtops and leaving my Swiss army knife at home.

Edited by cruzincurt

I keep mine in my checked bag mainly because I fly in to most ports. Reading some of these posts about some people having their corkscrews confiscated makes me think it is a good idea. It also seems hit and miss.

I keep mine in my checked bag mainly because I fly in to most ports. Reading some of these posts about some people having their corkscrews confiscated makes me think it is a good idea. It also seems hit and miss.

I would suggest you keep it in your carry on. It is far better to have it taken at boarding rather then have your checked luggage go through a search and having to wait a long time for your luggage to show up.

Corkscrews without a knife are permitted on aircraft and I don't see anywhere it is prohibited by the cruise line either.

This is from the TSA web site.

Search Results For:

corkscrew (with no blade)

icon_check_carry.pngCheck or Carry-on

You may transport this item in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. For items you wish to carry-on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

To help officers get a clear look at your bag and reduce the need for additional screening, we suggest you pack your bag in neat layers (layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) and wrap cords tightly around electronics items.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Shak

If all else fails this method of removing a cork does work. I had to resort to it when a cork broke off when extracting it.

Your neighbors may wonder what's going on though.

Shak

If all else fails this method of removing a cork does work. I had to resort to it when a cork broke off when extracting it.

Your neighbors may wonder what's going on though.

Shak

Never saw that before, might come in handy. Thnaks!

We are driving to Seattle and will be carrying on two bottles of wine. Does it matter if we put the corkscrew in the carry on or the checked baggage. Thanks.

We had one removed by TSA one time some years ago. They may have eased up on that some but we carry it in checked bags just in case.

Agree with Kirk, we have a corkscrew in every piece of luggage that we own:D. OP, it might be worthwhile to put it in your checked baggage rather than your carrion...you never know!

• 1 month later...

I had one taken from my carryon in June on the explorer. They said because it had a pull out knife on it. I was able to get one from the cabin steward.