Bathroom question???

Cougardave

If you like tubs. Not having one in my apartment (shower only), I can take or leave a tub. Shower is fine.

Of course I'm also used to a split bath, so...

It is what it is. I will enjoy ALASKA and the people I'm with and look forward to going "home" in February.

You should try Princess. You can't even change your mind in that shower. Just soap the walls and spin around. It's so tiny. It makes me long for a Hal bathtub.

I think it was on the Veendam that the hairdryer was positioned so that whenever I used it the smoke alarm went off. I had to stretch the cord as far as I could and stand in the corner, awa:eek:y from the mirror, to dry my hair.

- other than dispensers on the shower walls. THAT I will never consider "elegant".

However, it is a huge savings in plastic waste that used to happen with the small, individual bottles HAL furnished.

And it's a lot easier to push a dispenser button than it was to fiddle around with those itty-bitty bottle tops---especially when your fingers were wet, and you didn't have your glasses on.

They may or may not be "elegant", but those dispensers sure are practical.

However, it is a huge savings in plastic waste that used to happen with the small, individual bottles HAL furnished.

And it's a lot easier to push a dispenser button than it was to fiddle around with those itty-bitty bottle tops---especially when your fingers were wet, and you didn't have your glasses on.

They may or may not be "elegant", but those dispensers sure are practical.

Well, I suppose I *can* use them as a soap dish and shelf for my soap and tubes I will be bringing. :D

I find the hair dryer sucks. On my last cruise the dryer was hard wired into the drawer. That is the first time I've seen such a thing. I had to hold the button on while I dried my hair. Ridiculous for a Neptune suite. I try really hard to keep the weigh down in my suitcase but I think I'm going to have to bring mine next time.

THis is a safety feature so that passengers will not leave a hair dryer on and start a fire. Not so ridiculous....even for a NEptune Suite. Seems like most people could figure that out!

The ship in this case is only the means to get there - I just have a very different idea of "elegance" than HAL apparently does.
Well ... we didn't find your favorite line, Disney, "elegant" either. As you said earlier for HAL, that was a "one and done" for us. WAY too crowded! We made that decision after we had actually been on the ship. ;) Edited by catl331

Well ... we didn't find your favorite line, Disney, "elegant" either. As you said earlier for HAL, that was a "one and done" for us. WAY too crowded! We made that decision after we had actually been on the ship. ;)

Big difference - Disney isn't putting out ads selling themselves as "elegant". HAL is.

And unless things have changed drastically since the post-dry dock pictures have been posted, I can definitely say that IMHO it looks tacky.

Different strokes for different folks. I knew going in that this will be one and done for me with HAL. It has never been a line I would consider if not for the group I am with. I know what I prefer. I have been on here to try and be proven wrong, but sadly it hasn't happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by runnergirl71

Different strokes for different folks. I knew going in that this will be one and done for me with HAL. It has never been a line I would consider if not for the group I am with. I know what I prefer. I have been on here to try and be proven wrong, but sadly it hasn't happened.
So your mind is made up that you hate the Westerdam before you've ever set foot on it. :rolleyes:

Well I hope you enjoy Alaska, despite the mode of transportation! We enjoy HAL and appreciate the fact that the shower stalls are larger than on other lines without the tub. I have never had an issue using the floor or tub sides on Hal whereas on other lines, like Princess, you can't even bend over. Where to put the soap I bring wasn't anything I thought about honestly. I don't like the dispensers either but I appreciate them for what they are, a convenience and a way to save waste from polluting the sea and land. We never spent more than 2 hours a day, non-sleeping, in our room and that may be stretching it. We chose HAL for other reasons and it has fit our family well. The Disney split bath is a great idea, but they weren't roomy either and we ended up going from one to the other. Again, great idea but some execution issues.

It all depends on what is important to you. You know you best. It is too bad you couldn't convince your running coach to go on Disney instead of you having to compromise so much to travel with them on HAL. I do hope that, once aboard, it isn't as bad as you are projecting.

We tried Disney in January and for us, even with 2 children, it was a "one and done" as you say. Too noisy, too crowded, too introspective for our tastes. Even our daughter never wants to try it again. But we tried, we paid the cost and went with the expectation it would be great. It wasn't bad but we enjoy a quieter environment where we can see out and that just isn't in Disney's best interest. The Magic is beautiful, more so than HAL in my opinion, but the crowds, the pushing, the screaming children and shouting adults ( even in the adults only area) and a real lack of places where you can just sit and look at the view (and not through Plexiglas) will have us not booking again. Not even the bars have an outside view where you can enjoy the view with a drink. This is something Disney can't understand with its "if you see it, eat it" attitude.

Give me the HAL full walk around deck, 24 hours a day, with plenty of deck chairs and I am one happy cruiser knowing the children are happy in Club Hal learning about where they are instead of being plunked in front of a computer screen.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by 1of4

Well I hope you enjoy Alaska, despite the mode of transportation! We enjoy HAL and appreciate the fact that the shower stalls are larger than on other lines without the tub. I have never had an issue using the floor or tub sides on Hal whereas on other lines, like Princess, you can't even bend over. Where to put the soap I bring wasn't anything I thought about honestly. I don't like the dispensers either but I appreciate them for what they are, a convenience and a way to save waste from polluting the sea and land. We never spent more than 2 hours a day, non-sleeping, in our room and that may be stretching it. We chose HAL for other reasons and it has fit our family well. The Disney split bath is a great idea, but they weren't roomy either and we ended up going from one to the other. Again, great idea but some execution issues.

It all depends on what is important to you. You know you best. It is too bad you couldn't convince your running coach to go on Disney instead of you having to compromise so much to travel with them on HAL. I do hope that, once aboard, it isn't as bad as you are projecting.

We tried Disney in January and for us, even with 2 children, it was a "one and done" as you say. Too noisy, too crowded, too introspective for our tastes. Even our daughter never wants to try it again. But we tried, we paid the cost and went with the expectation it would be great. It wasn't bad but we enjoy a quieter environment where we can see out and that just isn't in Disney's best interest. The Magic is beautiful, more so than HAL in my opinion, but the crowds, the pushing, the screaming children and shouting adults ( even in the adults only area) and a real lack of places where you can just sit and look at the view (and not through Plexiglas) will have us not booking again. Not even the bars have an outside view where you can enjoy the view with a drink. This is something Disney can't understand with its "if you see it, eat it" attitude.

Give me the HAL full walk around deck, 24 hours a day, with plenty of deck chairs and I am one happy cruiser knowing the children are happy in Club Hal learning about where they are instead of being plunked in front of a computer screen.

Where is that dam like button:)

THis is a safety feature so that passengers will not leave a hair dryer on and start a fire. Not so ridiculous....even for a NEptune Suite. Seems like most people could figure that out!

You reckon? Let's see, leave hair dryer on, put it on the counter or back in the drawer - it would still be running and making noise. If you left your electric shaver on - and running - when you finished shaving I think you'd notice. So I don't buy your logic. Or if it really is the case, I wonder why curling tongs and hot brushes are allowed.

I've been following this thread with interest as (basically) the only cruise that DH and I have been on is the Disney Fantasy last year in August. We loved that cruise. We never felt rushed and didn't hang out with little ones. But we were with my 2 sisters/brother-in-laws and our mom.

When I booked this cruise, it was not with research. :o I came here and learned about the problems with the Zuiderdam's air conditioning and toilet flushing. OH NO!

THEN I learned the smoking policy. YIKES!

We had booked a gty VF on the TA's advice. Not what I wanted once I did the research. UGH!

What had I gotten myself into?? :confused::confused::confused:

But, being me, I will wait and see. I have seen more GOOD reports, so first fear allayed. Smoking? We'll deal, people. VF became SS, so no problem there.

I am looking forward to so many things that are NOT going to be the same as last year. 24 hour room service. Meals on the verandah (too small last year). DVD's in the room (DH loves his movies!) Just the 2 of us this year, so meeting people at dinner will be fresh for us.

Will I miss the shows? the account update on the TV? the H2O products in the bathroom? the 'free' soda? I don't know and I don't presume to know until I get on and off the ship. This trip is about ALASKA! And for that I am excited to stretch myself and experience something NEW.

And thank you to all the CC regulars who have patiently answered my many questions! 8 more days! :D

Edited by Dismomx5

I've been following this thread with interest as (basically) the only cruise that DH and I have been on is the Disney Fantasy last year in August. We loved that cruise. We never felt rushed and didn't hang out with little ones. But we were with my 2 sisters/brother-in-laws and our mom.

When I booked this cruise, it was not with research. :o I came here and learned about the problems with the Zuiderdam's air conditioning and toilet flushing. OH NO!

We had booked a gty VF on the TA's advice. Not what I wanted once I did the research. UGH!

But, being me, I will wait and see. I have seen more GOOD reports, so first fear allayed. Smoking? We'll deal, people. VF became SS, so no problem there.

I am looking forward to so many things that are NOT going to be the same as last year. 24 hour room service. Meals on the verandah (too small last year). DVD's in the room (DH loves his movies!) Just the 2 of us this year, so meeting people at dinner will be fresh for us.

Will I miss the shows? the account update on the TV? the H2O products in the bathroom? the 'free' soda? I don't know and I don't presume to know until I get on and off the ship. This trip is about ALASKA! And for that I am excited to stretch myself and experience something NEW.

And thank you to all the CC regulars who have patiently answered my many questions! 8 more days! :D

You are going to have a wonderful cruise! And even the weather forecast is good.:)

Really, how many fires have been started by hair dryers? Who would be stupid enough to leave a hair dryer running? Please, stop being so critical of everyone and assuming people are so dense.

Shampoo/body wash/conditioner is in dispensers in the shower (just a note - we bring our own bath soap and shampoo as we find these extremely drying):

30mpgch.jpg

Hand soap, shower cap, hand lotion by sink:

2qvcx1l.jpg

Sorry, don't have a picture of the hair dryer, but AFAIK there's one in each room.

Outlet on the desk:

m7chuh.jpg

And outlet in bathroom (for razors only):

9k9dlk.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pics. This kind of info is what lots of people are looking for.

No, not really. I am actually fairly low-key. I'm just not impressed with what I'm seeing so far and don't classify it as "elegance" which HAL uses in its ads. Maybe seeing it in person will change my mind - other than dispensers on the shower walls. THAT I will never consider "elegant".

Why are you basing the whole "elegance" of the trip on the dispensers in the showers? This is my third HAL cruise - and I have found nothing to complain about on any of the three ships that I have been on. The dispensers worked great and you didn't have to go looking for another small bottle of shampoo to finish the job.

I am so excited to be able to afford another cruise - and I love the atmosphere and the way that the staff treats their guests.

Please get over your complaining and plan on an enjoyable experience. Don't ruin it for the rest of the people around you. Thanks.

Big difference - Disney isn't putting out ads selling themselves as "elegant". HAL is.

And unless things have changed drastically since the post-dry dock pictures have been posted, I can definitely say that IMHO it looks tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you have already convinced yourself that this will be your one and only HAL cruise! I have never read so much negativity written by someone who keeps saying "IMHO" when in reality how can you truly have an opinion when you haven't experienced it first hand, in person, etc. I feel sorry for those you are cruising with because if you rant on negatively about everything the way you have ranted on in so many of your posts (and not just this thread) you will surely rain on their enjoyment of their cruise! :eek: Hope you will be considerate of them and keep your humble opinions to self and save them for a review when you return!

Yes, where is the dam LIKE button!

Edited by idiebabe

No, but SHELVES in the shower are not too much to ask IMHO. For a cruise line that claims "elegance", I find shampoo, etc. in dispensers on the wall tacky.

I've said before, I'm on this because for whatever reason it's the line my running coach and her husband do their Alaskan Running cruise on. I'm going for the running, the off-ship scenery, and hanging out with cool people. The ship in this case is only the means to get there - I just have a very different idea of "elegance" than HAL apparently does.

I am not a fan of the wall-mounted dispensers. Pre-cruise, we stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel, a fairly upscale property. They do not have wall dispensers for body wash, shampoo and conditioner. They had left us 3 bottles of conditioner, and ZERO shampoo. I'll take "wall-mounted dispensers with shampoo" over "no shampoo" any day.

Seems to me your big complaint is with your running coach's choice. Maybe you should be directing your veiled "haven't sailed yet but I already hate HAL" comments to her.

Edited by CowPrincess

The second cruise we ever took was HAL Zuiderdam to Alaska (after our first - DCL Panama Canal). We were fully aware that "it's not Disney". But we thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Yes, the shows aren't the Broadway-style shows; yes, there is only one dining room; yes, the décor is more understated; yes, the bath amenities aren't particularly favorites of some of us; yes, there are no characters around; but, yes, we had a grand time. Alaska is the most spectacular scenery we've seen on a cruise to date.

While coming to the boards will fill in some answers for most people, it's really on them to realize that everyone's opinion (and that's what it is) is colored by their own perception (including mine), you need to take all that input and decide if you're going to be happy or not. It's up to you.

Have a great cruise!!

Really, how many fires have been started by hair dryers? Who would be stupid enough to leave a hair dryer running? Please, stop being so critical of everyone and assuming people are so dense.

Not a hair dryer fire story, but a "my mother plunges half a deck into darkness on Epirotiki's Orpheus when she turns it on" story. Granted it was an old small 258 pax ship, but still. Come to think of it, she may have taken out the whole deck. Boy was she embarrassed LOL

It depends on the ship. On the 6 newest (Vista & Signature classes) there are two 115v/220v combinations (such as shown in post 3) over the desk, but in the oldest 9 ships there is just one. Most modern chargers can use the 220v if you have a plug adapter. Check the label.

I second the European adapter idea. It doubles your number of plugs. Most chargers will take both European and North American currents. Just take a magnifying glass and examine the minuscule print on your charger. If it says 100 to 240 volts you are good to go. You will not fry your iPad, camera, reader, iPhone etc.. A couple of adapters take up less room and weight than a power bar.

When I first had that idea I wanted to be doubly sure I was thinking correctly so I asked an electrician and he assured me that it was OK.

I second the European adapter idea. It doubles your number of plugs. Most chargers will take both European and North American currents. Just take a magnifying glass and examine the minuscule print on your charger. If it says 100 to 240 volts you are good to go. You will not fry your iPad, camera, reader, iPhone etc.. A couple of adapters take up less room and weight than a power bar.

When I first had that idea I wanted to be doubly sure I was thinking correctly so I asked an electrician and he assured me that it was OK.

It certainly works well as I found out just before I left Canada for Australia a few months ago. I only brought plug adaptors and everything charged just fine (camera, IPod, Samsung, cell phone, etc.). I also travel with a battery booster that worked great in charging DD IPod as we waited in the Cairns airport for 3 hours.:rolleyes: :)

Much less weight and size than a converter or a power cord.

Great. :roll eyes: My *gym* has the dispenser-on-the-wall thing. Not what I think of as "classy".

When they were individual bottles, the passengers were stocking on them for 'gifts' or personal use at home I guess. The captain once announced that on a 7 day cruise, there had been over 12 thousands of small shampoo bottles used....after 5 days.

The dispensers are for expenses rationalization and savings.

Did you know that the most stolen items of a ship are the hair dryer and the salt and Pepper ground mills, beats me ! Everything not attached will be taken...

Edited by happyglobetrotter