Awful music on Princess ships

mainer49er

I was on the Coral recently and they played the WORST music in the Atrium. It was all 1940's jazzy oldie moldy 78 RPM stuff. And it was on all the time and at just enough volume that it wasn't "background" any more. If you tried to sit in the library and read you had to listen to it... If you were waiting in line to buy a shore excursion, you had to listen to it.....If you were in the shops you had to listen to it...... Maybe it's just me, but couldn't they change up the music a little?

I can appreciate that some of the passengers, maybe 90 and older, don't want to have to turn up their hearing aids to listen to "their" music, but please - just once put on something other than a dead rat-packer. Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, even Herman's Hermits.... it doesn't have to be 50 Cent and AC/DC here. On Oktoberfest night in the Horizon Court, do you think there might be some German music playing? Nope, more dead rat-packers!

Is this true on all Princess ships or does the Cruise staff on Coral just have a fixation on this particular music genre?

Did you mention it to the cruise director while on the ship? Or mention it in your survey card? You never know, maybe no one has ever complained, so it doesn't occur to the staff that there's a problem :)

The Deck 7 Piano Bar on Princess ships does indeed have a "rat pack" theme.

Unfortunately I have noticed the canned music in the atrium being loud enough to interfere with other activities on many ships of many different lines, not just Princess.

You certainly could have filled out a comment card at the Purser's desk and a member of the cruise staff would have contacted you. If it was me my first question would have been why there was so much canned music rather than live performances in the atrium. And I also would have been careful to offer my constructive criticism without taking a potshot at the demographic of some of my fellow passengers (but again, that's just me...)

Edited by fishywood

I can appreciate that some of the passengers, maybe 90 and older, don't want to have to turn up their hearing aids to listen to "their" music, but please - just once put on something other than a dead rat-packer.

I have a suggestion for you: Carnival Cruise Lines.

Lots of complaints on several cruise line boards about the music broadcasts. Seems they can't make up their mind about the audience they are seeking. For now I'm the one spending the dollars 3 to 4 times a year on cruises--I am going with the Rat Pack, etc. at low decibels and I am in my 50's.

Maybe it's your CD. Our last three cruises have been the holiday ones to Hawaiian, so for the time leading up to Christmas, there's a lot of holiday music. After that, a lot of Hawaiian music (which I prefer) but other types of music too. Plenty of live music all around the ship. Usually there's a pop time of band. On Mexican or Caribbean cruises, I imagine there's bands playing those type of music (mariachi and steel-drum). The lounge singers tend to be circa-Rat-Pack era. Often classical music in the Piazza around evening time. My hubby and I much prefer being able to hear live music so we're happy about the variety (even though he tends to like most genres and I can't stand new wave, country, and rap).

I love dead rat-packers. And I'm 34. You don't have to have a hearing aid to appreciate that music. If it makes you feel any better, there was an entertainer on one of my most recent cruisers that was partial to Neil Diamond. I probably heard half a dozen "Sweet Caroline" sing alongs. Not my style, so I just moved on to one of the many other venues. :cool:

Edited by giselleacttwo

I do think, for some reason, the Coral has had the worst musical entertainment. On a cruise we did on her, there was a band in the Wheelhouse bar that looked like they were ready to keel over any moment. Couldn't dance to anything. My kids did a cruise on her a couple of years ago and had the same experience. However, we've enjoyed groups on the other ships. Too much of a coincidence, I think.

Yup. Forties music was awesome! I have Serius and listed to 50's and 70's music all the time. Love classical music as well.

That's funny! I'm 61 years old and often listen to "40's on 4", "50's on 5", and "60's on 6". Of course I also listen to "Classic Vinyl", "Deep Tracks", etc. (I'm actually a Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jim Crocie" kind of guy in addition to the older stuff - although my kids do consider all of that really "old" stuff.) For some reason though, I just don't care at all for "Old Blue Eyes". Go figure.

As for the classical music -- I love Chopin, Mozart, and Beethoven but, when it comes to stuff like Bartok, I just can't handle it. :)

As far as "50 cent", etc. BARF. I can't stand that stuff. I like music but rap and hiphop don't seem to me to BE music. Heck, I can listen to the country stations for a while but not that stuff. Far too much anger and hatred.

I think I agree with the person who suggested Carnival. Might be a much better fit.

Music is a very personal taste and must be hard for any Cruise Director to please approx 3000 passengers every day. I am sure for every one that complains there are probably the same or more that enjoy it.

I like ALL sorts of music (except disco and rap) but most of all, classic rock - The Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Rolling Stones etc.

However, I firmly believe the Atrium should ONLY ever have a classical string quartet.

However, I firmly believe the Atrium should ONLY ever have a classical string quartet.

I agree!

Last time on the Sapphire, the music was so loud, people were leaving Vines and we could barely hear us talk in Alfredos. The wait staff in Alfredos said they had a number of complaints. I did speak to the CD and he dismissed my suggestion to tone the music down.

Edited by Coral

Princess might not be a good fit for you. That is the wonderful thing about cruising, there are lots of choices. We love Princess for all the reasons you didn't. We have tried several different cruise lines and I found that they provide different experiences. I loved RCL because it was active, love Princess because it is quiet and Disney because, well it's Disney. Maybe right now another line suits you better and sometime in the future your taste will change and you might like Princess.

I was on the Coral recently and they played the WORST music in the Atrium. It was all 1940's jazzy oldie moldy 78 RPM stuff. And it was on all the time and at just enough volume that it wasn't "background" any more. If you tried to sit in the library and read you had to listen to it... If you were waiting in line to buy a shore excursion, you had to listen to it.....If you were in the shops you had to listen to it...... Maybe it's just me, but couldn't they change up the music a little?

I can appreciate that some of the passengers, maybe 90 and older, don't want to have to turn up their hearing aids to listen to "their" music, but please - just once put on something other than a dead rat-packer. Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles, even Herman's Hermits.... it doesn't have to be 50 Cent and AC/DC here. On Oktoberfest night in the Horizon Court, do you think there might be some German music playing? Nope, more dead rat-packers!

Is this true on all Princess ships or does the Cruise staff on Coral just have a fixation on this particular music genre?

Really? This is your first post?

Did you like anything else about your cruise?

I like ALL sorts of music (except disco and rap) but most of all, classic rock - The Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes, The Rolling Stones etc.

From your lips to all a Princess CDs' ears, please!!

I am early 50s and love all music except Opera and Country. But the Piazza is no place for any of it except a string quartet or pianist. Especially when it's played so loudly you can't hear another person standing a foot away.

From your lips to all a Princess CDs' ears, please!!

I am early 50s and love all music except Opera and Country. But the Piazza is no place for any of it except a string quartet or pianist. Especially when it's played so loudly you can't hear another person standing a foot away.

And this whole time I thought you were 29! :D

I have noticed through many Princess cruises on different ships that the atrium music is way too loud. It has interfered with conversations in Crooners 3 decks up and it has caused the shorex desk and myself to have to shout (literally) to communicate. On one ship, we could sit in Crooners and hear atrium live music (the loudest), canned music from overhead speakers (different tunes) and live music bleeding in from Explorers. Talk about a cacaphony! My husband swears he's going to bring a decibel meter on our next cruise.

I have made numerous suggestions to CD staff, to reception and on post cruise surveys. All to no avail. Nothing has been done, ever. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has problems with the noise level of music in the atrium. I personally don't care what they play as long as the decibel count is at a reasonable level.

Edited by freetocruise