Hull art..do you like it or not?

marco

I think it is festive...however, having just gotten off the Sun in Alaska last week, it seemed incongruous and, well, just out of place when re-embarking after a rainy, cold (amazing) day in Skagway or Juneau and getting some hot chocolate to warm up.

In the Caribbean or something tropical, the art would have enhanced the festive mood.

That said, it had no impact on our choice of cruise line, ship or absolute enjoyment of Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like it. We sailed on the Sky before she got her hull art and it seemed a little dull. (In comparison to after the paint job.) I still loved the Sky and will sail NCL no matter what the art, or lack of art, looks like.

...and I really like the dark hulls on HAL, Disney, and Cunard. Makes a ship look like a ship.

I agree with that as well, but a plain white cruise ship is just blah. Tasteful Hull art is cheery.

Ever notice some of the fuselage and tail art on planes. It's only noticable when the plane is on the ground. No one can see it in the air.

Hi, this is my very first post, hope I do it right!

I love the hull art on NCL ships, some more than others but any is better than a plain ship. While some find it gaudy, I take some pride at having the "fanciest" ship in port :)

Hi, this is my very first post, hope I do it right!

I love the hull art on NCL ships, some more than others but any is better than a plain ship. While some find it gaudy, I take some pride at having the "fanciest" ship in port :)

:) Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Norwegian Board. Looks like you got the gang of it just fine ;)

I love hull art (with one exception :eek:). At the end of a port day I feel as if I'm going to the prettiest 'home' in the neighborhood. I love being able to tell what ship I'm looking at, even if the ship is far away. I love that the art has a fun, cheery, friendly look. And of course, how could I not love seeing the Dawn and Star's smiles?

I dislike it. I find most of it tacky , but then, I am among those who like a ship to look like a ship (even the Titanic!) rather than a preschool art bulletin board. I do not necessarily eschew hull art, but in general, I find NCL's colors too gaudy and patterns too busy.

Photos of the interiors of NCL ships suggest that this esthetic often continues inside, too. Many people say they like both the hull art and the crazy-quilt interiors, finding them jolly, cheerful, etc. More power to these fans! I simply don't share their enthusiasm.

As a matter of fact, NCL's cartoonish hull art has, to some extent, put me off sailing NCL so far (believe it or not.) I simply can't get enthusiastic about the ships, and I sail for the ships. I do not say I will never sail with NCL, but I imagine I will feel a little embarrassed every time I approach the ship.

Love it. I like looking in the distance and knowing that I am seeing a NCL ship and being able to identify it by the art. I also like the feeling when returning to port that I live in the "nicest home in the neighborhood".

Edited by medicalma'am

I like the hull art. Especially when we're getting a new ship, and there's so much anticipation about the new design. Love it or hate it- there is always a surprise. Not so much with other lines.

I don't want to go completely off-topic, but I'm confused about something. If you find the hull art so offensive and tacky that you won't even sail on NCL, why are you reading these boards? :confused:

I'm glad one line has it. I sail a lot of lines so I do like the fact NCL is different. Seeing them in port is quite exciting. Plus, I think they are fun and when you are on vacation, it is neat to look at your ship and get that festive feeling.