Here's one thing I never knew...

Preparing for our first cruise I read and read and read and read....

....but there is one interesting fact that I never came across (though I have since seen a thread from 2005) - some people get 'land sick' after being at sea!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/neurological-conditions/landsickness1.htm

:eek:

We disembarked yesterday morning and I am nauseous, dizzy and feel like I am constantly bobbing up and down and rocking back and forth! The only time I have felt better is when I have been in a gondola, taxi or airplane. The rest of the time I feel seasick!

I am hoping it passes quickly. :(

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

....but there is one interesting fact that I never came across (though I have since seen a thread from 2005) - some people get 'land sick' after being at sea!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/neurological-conditions/landsickness1.htm

We disembarked yesterday morning and I am nauseous, dizzy and feel like I am constantly bobbing up and down and rocking back and forth! The only time I have felt better is when I have been in a gondola, taxi or airplane. The rest of the time I feel seasick!

Bonine helps on land too!

Lots of people have this issue. Most people for just a day or two, with minor swaying sensation. A few have big problems for a much longer time. And it can vary from cruise to cruise.

Most of the time I have the feeling that I'm still onboard the ship for about a week. One cruise it lasted for over a month. Generally I feel like the ground is pitching or swaying, but not badly.

Here's an article about Mal debarquement Syndrome, but, in spite of what it says, many people get relief by continuing with their sea sickness meds:

http://www.mdds.org.uk/

Edited by Shmoo here

I sometimes get that but usually only in enclosed spaces like the shower. For me it pass quickly, I call them land swells.

Daughter had a bad case of mal de debarquement for a few days after a pretty rough 5-day cruise.

As all connected young people do, she researched the heck out of it. What she found out is that "head turners" are more likely to feel this effect. Head turners are people who tend to move their faces (not just their eyes) back and forth during a conversation - like following a tennis ball in the audience at Wimbledon.

There you go. Maybe you're a head turner. Not sure what you can do about that though.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'm a head turner. I tend to turn my face slightly when talking to multiple people, although I kind of keep it in check, since I heard some people find it weird.

I had a bad case of mal de debarquement (or "debarkation vertigo", as I call it) after my cruise. I had trouble walking through the airport in a straight line, and it got worse when I sat down, and worse still when I read a newspaper. At one point, a TSA worker even asked me "are you OK?", although his tone of voice was genuinely concerned, rather than rhetorical. What I thought was kind of funny: As soon as he heard the word "cruise" when I answered him, he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. I probably wasn't the first person he's seen stumbling through MCO after their cruise, and I'm sure airport employees are aware of cruise ship schedules.

Looking through the window at the horizon seemed to help a little bit, and it went away completely in the plane and in the taxi on the way home. Then when I got home, I stumbled through my apartment for at least a day. Good thing I had a recovery weekend afterwards, rather than going back to work the next morning. Either way, I think it's odd to get debarkation vertigo this bad, when I got motion-sick only twice in my whole life.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

It usually does. The first time I got off of a fishing charter boat (a small fishing boat) I was sitting eating lunch. All of a sudden, my vision started turning black around the edges and I put my head down on the table. It passed pretty quickly.

I will NEVER LEAVE home ever again for a cruise without my SeaBands on. This last cruise, I had them on, and felt motion, but nothing. No nausea, no weird feeling. I kept them on after the cruise for a couple days. I was fine :)

• 2 months later...

After my first cruise, which was a bit rocky I had the land sickness for nine days straight. It was so bad that I didn't feel confident leaving the house.People would have thought I was drunk! Freaked me out a bit.

I worried so much that it would happen again but I did go on a second cruise and the waters were much calmer and didn't experience any land sickness afterward.

Preparing for my third cruise in ten days time - who knows what the outcome will be. I hope the waters will be calm, although I must admit, I did kind of enjoy it when the ship was rolling :) I don't seem to suffer from "sea" sickness.

We all suffered after this summers cruise. Three sea days across a rocky med and bay of Biscay didn't help. It was somewhat scary to watch my daughter having a ballet lesson wobbling away on her pointe shoes on the evening of the day we docked. She managed to stay upright and reckoned that afterwards the earth stopped swaying while the rest of us wobbled about for another couple of days.

Probably was not the best of ideas to let her go to her lesson but she had a big exam coming up.