What ship will eventually replace Majesty?

If they did keep the same 3/4 day intinerary, I'll bet B2B sales would go up. I would probably do that.

I would not go on a B2B on a 3/4 itinerary....just book a 7 day cruise. the hassle on flip over day, as much as it may be just a minimal hassle, is still a hassle. Instead of a 3/4 day combo, you can just book a 7 day cruise and have no midweek, extra steps.

And don't forget the old supply and demand. As you can see in PC with the enchantment they don't have as many of the larger last minute price drops.

I think that some of the local people who want to go on the Majesty just wait for the price drops knowing they will come. If their are less cabins then you will have a larger demand for them by the loyal RCCL people so they can keep the price higher. And as someone said above, what is it costing them to keep the Majesty up to standards.

I have cruised on Her Majesty 10 times, and I believe people overestimate how many 'local people' book last minute for the price drop. A few do, I am sure; and some who can get last minute airline tickets do as well.....but most that I have met, have planned the cruise. It may have been their first cruise and did not want something longer, in case they did not like it or experienced something unpleasant.

Her Majesty only has balcony cabins as JS, so that is a downer for some and her cabins are small, unless you are on Deck 9 -- where the cabins are a nicer size.

Her Majesty is a ship from a prior timeframe. She can and does give a cruiser a wonderful experience.....we hopefully will cruise her again once or twice before she is retired -- but for the brand to continue to grow its 'customer experience' she does need to be retired.

I think Majesty just might hang around for a few more years. Although there have been threads in the past months from cruisers hearing from the CL, or Capt, or friend of a friend who's buddy works on the ship (:rolleyes::p) that Majesty's current booking through to April 2016 is where it will end. We know how these assumptions work, even from reputable sources, by the way the deployment rolled out this past year with all the surprises that happened.

• Vision class replacement? Absolutely perfect class to replace Majesty imo for many reasons.
  • Radiance Class? No way imo. RCL needs those ships on northern routes and in areas for pollution control (ie. Baltics, Alaska, Canada/New England). I'm actually super surprised RCL deployed Serenade to Caribbean 2015/16.
  • Voyager Class? A great replacement, but 3 of the 5 ships are going to Asia (Mariner/Voyager/Explorer). RCL already has Liberty (and then Indy) doing the short runs to Cozumel if new cruisers want to check out the bigger ships so I'm guessing Navigator/Adventurer will do something else to make RCL money without needing to discount hundreds of cabins in order to fill them (and keep their employees on board working)

I don't see a renovated WOW ship (ie. Navigator) deployed for the short runs. but truly who knows?

It seems as if Royal isn't going to be retiring Her Majesty, until 2 or 3 new ships come into the fleet. That will give Royal lots of options for some other ships.

If I was part of the company looking at the 3/4 day cruise market, and that wanted to encourage more 'first time cruisers' -- I would surely want those first time cruisers to see a WOW ship.....and maybe be so WOWED to continue cruising with us.

Let that first experience be a truly GREAT offering.

This is from someone who does love Her Majesty, but realize that most people want WOW.

I would not go on a B2B on a 3/4 itinerary....just book a 7 day cruise. the hassle on flip over day, as much as it may be just a minimal hassle, is still a hassle. Instead of a 3/4 day combo, you can just book a 7 day cruise and have no midweek, extra steps.

For us it's not so much the turn around hassle but the roudy aspect of tbe three day. We would rather they switch to the 5 5 4 format as they do out of Tampa. Then a B2B with a 5 5 is far more appealing :) The weekenders still get a nice Thursday thru Monday cruise every other weekend.

I know from discusing this with the HDs and F&B Directors this is highly unlikely due to the high bar intake on a 3 night currently.

This is from someone who does love Her Majesty, but realize that most people want WOW.

I think for the first time cruiser though, Majesty has some WOW. Although I havent been on Majesty I did sail on Monarch. I was a first time cruiser not so long ago and was totally blown away by the old, tired Carnival Holiday that even some of the most loyal Carnival cheerleaders hated. I had no idea what to expect and had no expectations. What a wonderful cruise.

My next cruise was on Monarch and I was definitely WOW'd the first time I set eyes on a Centrum :o:p amongst other things on that ship. She hooked me on Royal Caribbean.

I do see your point though. People want "bigger and better" and all the "bells and whistles" especially after seeing them on tv.

Edited by ryano

For us it's not so much the turn around hassle but the roudy aspect of tbe three day. We would rather they switch to the 5 5 4 format as they do out of Tampa. Then a B2B with a 5 5 is far more appealing :) The weekenders still get a nice Thursday thru Monday cruise every other weekend.

They'd better not drop the 3-day cruises! Thursday thru Monday is not a "weekender" cruise - it requires taking 3 days off. :(

The reason Tampa does 5-5-4 is because you can't get anywhere in 3 days. Cozumel is the closest port and it takes a 4-day cruise to get there and back.

They'd better not drop the 3-day cruises! Thursday thru Monday is not a "weekender" cruise - it requires taking 3 days off. :(

The reason Tampa does 5-5-4 is because you can't get anywhere in 3 days. Cozumel is the closest port and it takes a 4-day cruise to get there and back.

I can't imagine them dropping the 3 day weekender cruise. It definitely fits a type of cruiser and that cruiser may be lost if it had to take more time off from work.

It can be a more rowdy crowd, but not always. We have taken the cruise over Thanksgiving weekend quite a few times, and it has a very family oriented flavor. Families down visiting in Florida and they include a little cruise for the weekend. Everyone has a good time.

I know from discusing this with the HDs and F&B Directors this is highly unlikely due to the high bar intake on a 3 night currently.

Scotty - same with us. Been on Majesty too many times...haha....miss the old days when she sailed 7 nights. I think we're done with the 3/4 nights, even after doing several B2B's on her, just too rowdy for our tastes anymore. Absolutely love the ship but am just "over it" now and prefer a more calm atmosphere. I will hate to see Majesty go, so many great memories onboard her.

They just make too much $$$ on her short cruises...my personal opinion, and know several people within RCI and onboard MJ - they'll keep her around for a bit longer. We shall see.

Scotty - same with us. Been on Majesty too many times...haha....miss the old days when she sailed 7 nights. I think we're done with the 3/4 nights, even after doing several B2B's on her, just too rowdy for our tastes anymore. Absolutely love the ship but am just "over it" now and prefer a more calm atmosphere. I will hate to see Majesty go, so many great memories onboard her.

They just make too much $$$ on her short cruises...my personal opinion, and know several people within RCI and onboard MJ - they'll keep her around for a bit longer. We shall see.

I am sure they do make a good return on Her Majesty's short cruises, and they will continue to make money on the 3/4 day itineraries when they put another ship in her place....what Majesty lacks in accommodations, like balcony's for people who don't travel in JS, will give them more revenue resources.

Maybe Grandeur could replace MJ and a Radiance Class ship could sail from Baltimore?

As Baltimore is my "local" port, which ships in the current RCCL fleet can fit under the bridges and into the port of Baltimore?

Thanks!

Brad

As Baltimore is my "local" port, which ships in the current RCCL fleet can fit under the bridges and into the port of Baltimore?

Thanks!

Brad

I believe Radiance and Vision class ships will fit, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We would love a Voyager class ship for the 3/4 day in either PC or Miami/FLL. Probably would definitely consider a B2B for our week vacation on any of them as we love CocoaCay and Key West. Personally, would like going out of PC only for the sea days and skip KW.

Tim

I know RC headquarters is actually in Miami, but the bulk of their cruises leave from Ft Lauderdale ... so 'm curious.. why doesn't Majesty (and the 3 & 4 night) leave from Ft Lauderdale too? I would think they would wanna centralize everything at one location.

Any thoughts ?

What exactly does 'too much ship' mean?

Oh never mind ... what I was gonna say would get me in trouble on here again!

Edited by F27TW

Oh never mind ... what I was gonna say would get me in trouble on here again!

Oh, go on...I dare ya! ;)

I know RC headquarters is actually in Miami, but the bulk of their cruises leave from Ft Lauderdale ... so 'm curious.. why doesn't Majesty (and the 3 & 4 night) leave from Ft Lauderdale too? I would think they would wanna centralize everything at one location.

Any thoughts ?

Just a hunch...other than the HQ thing, I think it's to keep direct competition with the Carnival Imagination and NCL Sky who sail 3/4 nighters on the same dates out of Miami.

Thanks!

Brad

I believe I've read quite a few posts on several threads here on CC that Radiance Class can't fit under the bridge. So only Vision Class can fit... and I guess Majesty!

I believe I've read quite a few posts on several threads here on CC that Radiance Class can't fit under the bridge. So only Vision Class can fit... and I guess Majesty!

The lowest bridge for the port of B'more is the Key Bridge at 185' and the Radiance (and I would think her sisters as well) has an air draft of 173'. Tampa's Sunshine Skyway has a navigational clearance less than the Key Bridge and the Radiance and Brilliance have used Tampa during the winter months. So I'm sure you can add the Radiance class into the hopper of available ships. Who knows that may be a good choice with their gas turbine engines could be beneficial in avoiding that long trip down the Chesapeake using low sulfur fuel?

The lowest bridge for the port of B'more is the Key Bridge at 185' and the Radiance (and I would think her sisters as well) has an air draft of 173'. Tampa's Sunshine Skyway has a navigational clearance less than the Key Bridge and the Radiance and Brilliance have used Tampa during the winter months. So I'm sure you can add the Radiance class into the hopper of available ships. Who knows that may be a good choice with their gas turbine engines could be beneficial in avoiding that long trip down the Chesapeake using low sulfur fuel?
Yes, Carnival Pride has sailed under the Key bridge with an Air draft of 172.2'

I have cruised on Her Majesty 10 times, and I believe people overestimate how many 'local people' book last minute for the price drop. .

You'd have to quantify that to say people over estimate. I've never estimated it, but clearly everyone from the CD to the waiters make Jokes about the number of Florida people on board. When Ricky was the CD, he mentioned it in his routine quite frequently. I remember the 3 roll calls I had for Majesty were dominated by Floridians. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

to another post, I would love a 7 day cruise (this intineray B2B seeing Coco Cay twice, Nassua twice and Keywest. If I were to book this on a bigger ship I would do it early enough to keep the same room and I'm sure others would too.

You'd have to quantify that to say people over estimate. I've never estimated it, but clearly everyone from the CD to the waiters make Jokes about the number of Florida people on board. When Ricky was the CD, he mentioned it in his routine quite frequently. I remember the 3 roll calls I had for Majesty were dominated by Floridians. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

to another post, I would love a 7 day cruise (this intineray B2B seeing Coco Cay twice, Nassua twice and Keywest. If I were to book this on a bigger ship I would do it early enough to keep the same room and I'm sure others would too.

The post that you are replying to from me, was about 'people overestimate how many local Floridians wait to book last minute on Majesty' for the price breaks.....the key was 'last minute'. Yes, you will find lots of Floridians on Majesty, just like on any ship that sails out of S. Florida.

When I cruised out of San Juan, PR last year there was almost 40% of the cruisers on the ship where from Puerto Rico....and I would expect that. Some of them, may have taken advantage of last minute price drops as well -- I am not saying all of them or even many of them, just some of them.

Floridians who cruise on Her Majesty, do just like others....book beforehand, and don't necessarily wait for a final price drop right before a sailing.

I'm about to sail Majesty for the 5th time. I have always enjoyed her. But since her last refurb was 2007, if they are going to keep her past 2016, it would be nice if they would giver her another freshening.

I don't see how they would put anything but a Vision class in to replace her at this point. The 3/4 day market is very competitive. I don't think people would consistently pay Voyager prices, especially first time cruisers who wouldn't know much about the differences in ships.

I'm about to sail Majesty for the 5th time. I have always enjoyed her. But since her last refurb was 2007, if they are going to keep her past 2016, it would be nice if they would giver her another freshening.

I don't see how they would put anything but a Vision class in to replace her at this point. The 3/4 day market is very competitive. I don't think people would consistently pay Voyager prices, especially first time cruisers who wouldn't know much about the differences in ships.

However wouldn't they have to raise prices on a Vision class ship due to it's lower passenger capacity then Sovereign class?

However wouldn't they have to raise prices on a Vision class ship due to it's lower passenger capacity then Sovereign class?

Enchantment is the only ship in the Vision class that has a passenger capacity close to Majesty .... and if that is moved into replacing Majesty, something has to replace Enchantment in PC. Even putting a Radiance class ship to replace Majesty will result in fewer passengers, thereby leaving a Voyager class ship as a better choice. Marketing will play a part in their decision I am sure. Putting a Voyager class ship with a much larger capacity in close proximity to two large airports to attract more cruisers will be advantageous. Putting a Voyager class ship in PC to replace Enchantment, if Enchantment replaced Majesty it is still relying on an airport that doesn't have the draw that Miami or Fort Lauderdale have.

We are looking to take our 11th cruise on Her Majesty this coming Thanksgiving, if we can. Years ago, right after Monarch's retirement to Pullmantr, discussion at a C&A event was about the future of Her Majesty. Back then, it was mentioned that Navigator would replace her......I believe that until there is more concrete news to the contrary, there is no reason for me to doubt that original mention is correct....perhaps it won't be Navigator but another Voyager class.