Princess Travel Agent??

skrodle

So I know people are not allowed to advertise travel agents on this site... Thats not what Im asking for here. But reading though so many posts, it seems like getting a TA will benefit us.

We are loyal Princess cruisers, 8 cruises in and 2 on the books... I used a TA once because of a travel voucher I got from work and got no benefit from the TA (The voucher was paid for by my work, so it was not a promo from the TA). Price drops happened and I had to contact the TA directly to get the adjustment. There was no OBC from them, gift, or even a note from the the TA to recognize that we just made them a nice chunk of money.

So my question is how do you go about finding a good TA? One that will take care of you, look out for the price drops, and has good connections with Princess. I saw something about being a "Princess Commodore" Travel Agent, but I have also read that you can get this status without even stepping foot on a Princess ship.

Thanks in advance for your advice.... :)

Why do you want a middleman? You stated you got no benefit from using one. I watch the prices myself and call when I see something I want. I want to be able to talk to the cruise without them telling me to call someone else.

So I know people are not allowed to advertise travel agents on this site... Thats not what Im asking for here. But reading though so many posts, it seems like getting a TA will benefit us.

We are loyal Princess cruisers, 8 cruises in and 2 on the books... I used a TA once because of a travel voucher I got from work and got no benefit from the TA (The voucher was paid for by my work, so it was not a promo from the TA). Price drops happened and I had to contact the TA directly to get the adjustment. There was no OBC from them, gift, or even a note from the the TA to recognize that we just made them a nice chunk of money.

So my question is how do you go about finding a good TA? One that will take care of you, look out for the price drops, and has good connections with Princess. I saw something about being a "Princess Commodore" Travel Agent, but I have also read that you can get this status without even stepping foot on a Princess ship.

Thanks in advance for your advice.... :)

"Commodore's" have to take a number of courses (and quizzes) to achieve that level. And sure, they don't have to have actually cruised, but they should be fairly knowledgeable. As for the best place to find a TA, it's onboard from your fellow passengers.

Ask around, especially on the ship. In my earlier days of cruising, I built a spreadsheet of TAs people said were discount. Turned out some were, and others charged the same as Princess. After a while I found one who gets me a 10 to 20% discount off the Princess price. I usually get some OBC too.

I was lucky enough to get the e-mail address of someone who posts often on Cruise Critic and who is well respected for her advice. She referred me to a TA that she uses. It has been well worth it. Not only do I have confidence that I am getting the lowest price for my bookings and some extra amenities, but I am getting a personal touch that has been lacking with other online agencies and with Princess.

My advice would be to join a roll call or seek out the veterans when on a cruise and ask for recommendations. I think most are eager to share.

Edited by billco

A good TA who books a lot of cruises with Princess will be able to offer consistent discounts of 10%-20% as mentioned above. They'll also go to bat for you if you have any issues with Princess that need to be addressed.

As far as price drops are concerned, it's up to each of us to monitor pricing. Bring price drops to the attention of your TA so an adjustment can be made.

Lew

I always booked my own cruises but with everyone bragging about all the money their TAs saved them I decided to try one of the highly recommended ones. I called on Thurs and got an answering machine. I didn't get a return call until Monday evening.

Really? That's the kind of service you all are so happy with? I had a particular cabin picked out that I really wanted. There's no way that cabin would still have been available 4 days later.

I called Princess myself and had everything taken care of in minutes.

I always booked my own cruises but with everyone bragging about all the money their TAs saved them I decided to try one of the highly recommended ones. I called on Thurs and got an answering machine. I didn't get a return call until Monday evening.

Really? That's the kind of service you all are so happy with? I had a particular cabin picked out that I really wanted. There's no way that cabin would still have been available 4 days later.

Yes, that was poor service.

As long as it is before final payment time, you could book with Princess and then xfer the booking to the TA of your choice.

Definitely don't count on your TA to check price drops for you. That's up to you. Then you can contact him or her.

oh I totally get that... its just when I had a travel agent on one of my cruises I got nothing out of it... I had to do all the work and they got paid... I wanna find the agent that we will both benefit out of our relationship

-David

Edited by skrodle

Why do you want a middleman? You stated you got no benefit from using one. I watch the prices myself and call when I see something I want. I want to be able to talk to the cruise without them telling me to call someone else.

Why would I want a middle man? Well first of all I consistently pay less than I would booking direct. Second, in 95% of the cases they have a group on the cruise I want and give me some sort of OBC in addition to the cheaper rate. And third, if there is ever an issue or a question she gets right back to me and is all over it.

The OP just used the wrong TA, is aware of it, and is looking for someone else.

You had a bad TA. The TA we use has consistently saved us money and kicks in gifts/OBC. I have always done a price comparison after she sends us her invoice to see what I could get elsewhere and she has beat every price I have tried to find on my own.

I also have no idea when she sleeps. I constantly get emails from her in the wee hours of the morning so her availability is astounding.

I'm sorry about your experience, but if you want to pay sticker price for cruises that is on you.

Sorry you found a poor TA. Mine has always given excellent service.

A couple of years ago I was on the first leg of a b2b. I wanted to change the dining arrangement for the second leg. Head waiter said I would have to stand in line on turnaround afternoon and talk to the maitre 'd. I emailed my TA and she made the change and replied in about 10 minutes. So it can work both ways.

I have found that many don't respond well to being asked who their travel agent is. I've tried this while on a cruise in the past & they act like you're asking for the code to their room safe!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have found that many don't respond well to being asked who their travel agent is. I've tried this while on a cruise in the past & they act like you're asking for the code to their room safe!!!

How odd. I wonder why? I would have no problem recommending mine as I cannot possibly see how it would affect me negatively if I did. Oh well, to each their own.

A couple of years ago I was on the first leg of a b2b. I wanted to change the dining arrangement for the second leg. Head waiter said I would have to stand in line on turnaround afternoon and talk to the maitre 'd. I emailed my TA and she made the change and replied in about 10 minutes. So it can work both ways.

Was that Princess?

On Princess we have had a headwaiter come to us before the end of the first segment to ask what we would like to do for the 2nd segment.

I've seen this same thing posted by others here at times. I really don't understand it at all! If you have a great TA why not reward that TA by sending more business his/her way?

OK. So now that you are booked, find that discount TA, turn the booking over to him/her and you will get a lower price.

I have always been willing to share the contact names of the TA's I use. There are three of them and each knows that I do business with others. May the best person win. :D