Beware of phony "recommendations"... a reminder

Bruin Steve

Last night, a poster came onto Cruise Critic for the first time and made their first eight posts in under an hour. All eight posts were in somewhat broken English, all with the same purpose in mind: To "recommend" a specific tour company in a specific port and to provide a link to the company's website.

I was alerted to one of these posts because it was a three year old thread on this Oceania board that hadn't been otherwise added to in three years...but since I am "subscribed" to the threads I've posted on, I got an email.

Now most of us really appreciate tour guide recommendations from our fellow cruisers/Cruise Critic members who have visited the ports we have scheduled on future cruises--one of the most useful parts of Cruise Critic. But it seems that, from time to time, some self serving tour guide or company catches on to the idea that they can drum up business by coming on here and pretending to be a "real" Cruise Critic member.

If one looks below the surface, one can easily spot these fraudulent posts. In this case, the poster had registered for cruise critic just that day...and had only the eight posts--all with a single purpose. Most "real" Cruise Critic members join Roll Calls, participate in discussions on the cruise line boards, ask questions on the Ports of Call boards, etc. When they post about ports, it is often multiple ports. I, generally, don't trust advice unless it comes from somewhat known, regular posters...or, at least, posters who have participated, over time, in many facets of Cruise Critic.

Unfortunately, many people aren't quite that vigilant. They see a recommendation...and they pursue it, not knowing they've been successfully targeted by these frauds.

Here is what to do if you spot one of these suspected frauds:

On each post,in the upper right hand corner, there is a red triangle with an exclamation point inside. Click on this to "report" the post. This will bring up a screen in which you can type an explanation which will be read by the Cruise Critic Hosts. They will be able to see through the post as well...and they will take the proper measures to remove the offending post.

Please do not let sneaky, underhanded tour companies (or other fraudulent sales people) misuse Cruise Critic to push their own businesses and defraud your fellow cruisers.

Thanks.

Here's another thing to be wary of

On the cruise from which I just returned I was told by a highly respected private tour operator that many cruise critic people are MAKING A PROFIT when they organize private tours. If the operator is charging 75, the organizer might charge 90, get his or her tour paid for and have some spending money too.

I was shocked to hear this. The tour operator said it was more common than not. I was traveling with a CC friend who, like myself, tends to be the tour organizer on all her cruises. We both agree it is a despicable practice. Be careful who you tour with.

Fair warning.

I have organized many tours too but I always give the operator web site so people can go to the site. Also I always ask who the tour operator will be if going on a CC tour. I have never experienced someone raising the prices!

I have organized many tours too but I always give the operator web site so people can go to the site. Also I always ask who the tour operator will be if going on a CC tour. I have never experienced someone raising the prices!

Nor have I but apparently it is not uncommon. I rarely go on a tour organized by someone I don't know

Actually I prefer to plan the tours myself. That way I can be sure of what i am getting

Just a heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here's another thing to be wary of

On the cruise from which I just returned I was told by a highly respected private tour operator that many cruise critic people are MAKING A PROFIT when they organize private tours. If the operator is charging 75, the organizer might charge 90, get his or her tour paid for and have some spending money too.

I was shocked to hear this. The tour operator said it was more common than not. I was traveling with a CC friend who, like myself, tends to be the tour organizer on all her cruises. We both agree it is a despicable practice. Be careful who you tour with.

Fair warning.

I agree. I usually organize a few tours and am more than happy to share tour operator's website as well as any email correspondence with them to other tour members.

I'd be really surprised to see this practice among Oceania guests, but you never know.

I find this hard to believe as well. Certainly whenever I've booked a tour I've been upfront with the costs. I can't believe that it's worth the time to cheat.

When we did our Black Sea cruise two years ago the person who set up our tours (and she had a large group) was offered to be "comped". She passed the savings on to the group because she didn't feel right about having a "free" tour.

It's certainly disappointing that people would behave this way.

Mura

Most of the tours I have booked people pay the tour guide individually

On a couple of tours I did collect the money I was quoted a per tour price ...not a PP price

so giving the guide a lump sum payment

If people want to check with the guide I am more than happy to supply the name/website/emails of tour costs

Pretty sad some people have to resort to such tactics for a tour

Lyn

Wish I hadn't just remembered this, but ......

I've planned several private tours, usually with close friends whom I trust implicitly, and we've handed our own share of the cost directly to the guide. DH and I went to St. Petersburg on an O cruise without friends and booked a private guide for two days. The Russian guide contacted us, said another couple from our ship had made an inquiry, and would we mind doubling up to share the cost. The guide spelled out the exact terms including the fact that travelers checks were not acceptable and she wanted to be paid in US Dollars at the end of day two. DH had his fist full of dollars and paid our half at the end of day two, but the other couple had no cash and only an ATM card. The ship was about to sail, and rather than stiff the guide my husband offered to pay for the other couple and told them they could reimburse him back on the ship. Long story short, they dodged us for the rest of the cruise. Back home, we had their email address and asked them for reimbursement. They blew us off, so basically they had a private two day tour for free. Hope they read this and recognize themselves! Bottom line, be careful who you trust. Sadly, there are a lot of scammers out there.

I've planned several private tours, usually with close friends whom I trust implicitly, and we've handed our own share of the cost directly to the guide. DH and I went to St. Petersburg on an O cruise without friends and booked a private guide for two days. The Russian guide contacted us, said another couple from our ship had made an inquiry, and would we mind doubling up to share the cost. The guide spelled out the exact terms including the fact that travelers checks were not acceptable and she wanted to be paid in US Dollars at the end of day two. DH had his fist full of dollars and paid our half at the end of day two, but the other couple had no cash and only an ATM card. The ship was about to sail, and rather than stiff the guide my husband offered to pay for the other couple and told them they could reimburse him back on the ship. Long story short, they dodged us for the rest of the cruise. Back home, we had their email address and asked them for reimbursement. They blew us off, so basically they had a private two day tour for free. Hope they read this and recognize themselves! Bottom line, be careful who you trust. Sadly, there are a lot of scammers out there.

I certainly believe you but still cannot believe that such things could actually happen :eek:

How can these people look in the mirror every day or sleep peacefully at night? :confused:

FWIW - I believe they deserve to be publicly shamed for their actions.

Edited by Paulchili

FYI

On the 2014 Cape Town to Singapore cruise there was a woman named Vicki (who has since been permanently banned from CC) who represented herself to be a fellow cruiser and set up excursions for 40 plus cruisers in each port. Turned out she was making a mint on these excursions and her antics caused a great schism on the roll call. Ultimately I am told she did not even go on the cruise and left folks to fend for themselves with the operators in the ports. You can go to that roll call and read all about it.

I am on the 2015 cruise and she actually emailed me when she saw I was setting up excursions -- offering to do it for me. LOL I warned folks on my roll call as I think she was trying to contact cruisers to do the same thing for our cruise.

It does happen, even on Oceania.

Edited by pacheco18

MY friend Arlene just had a similar thing happen where a cruiser never repaid someone. Different facts but same result. You are not alone.

These are sad experiences with private excursions organized through the roll calls. While O offered excursions are pricey they are immune from these scams.

Which is why I either book my own private excursions or book with someone I know. Foolproof

I've booked some private tours and invited others to join, I did not make a dime. I did not want to handle the money and advised each person to pay guide on the day of the tour. I was very transparent and forwarded all the guide emails to the other parties so they would know an exact amount and the required currency.

On one trip a couple did not have the required Euros and they wanted to pay the guide in Canadian dollars. The guide explained he was not running a currency exchange business but this couple did not seem to care, they handed over some Canadian dollars and walked away. We were all embarrassed for them and we increased our tip to make up for the shortage.

Last summer someone on our roll call was banned permanently by cruise critic for allegedly making a profit on setting up Alaskan tours.

I have joined tours organized by others and never had a problem. Love private tours.

People are amazing!

I have set up every tour I have ever been on, and asked others to join on the roll call. I,too, forward copies of all correspondence to all involved. I let everyone know I will not be collecting their money; they will pay the guide at the end. I have never profited, nor had a free tour, although someone did ask me once if that was the case. I have never come across a guide that even suggests such an arrangement, and would be shocked if one did!

After reading these nightmares, I was thinking that, as much as I am wanting to get started on a tour immediately after disembarking, perhaps I should have everyone pay the guide at the START of the tour. Then they could tip at the end, if they like.

However, if someone did NOT follow all instructions: have correct cash, currency, etc, and as organizer I would LIKE to say, sorry, you can't come....that means the others would have to pay more to make up for those people.

It's a no win situation!

I always plan ahead, and have the money for the tour that AM. If I see an ATM, I may get out money for a tour later in the itinerary. I would NEVER go on a tour planning to pay for it after getting to get to an ATM that very day...what if you don't see one?? (very unlikely, but always a chance)

interesting .....

for an egypt tour that I organized, I had the tour guide tell all on the bus that I was foregoing my comp for doing all that work....and it was being divided equally among all of us....but I still heard someone say that I probably charged more....it made me furious....all that work...a very thankless job....while I got a bargain for everyone and they had no work and no responsibility....

many times the tour guide does not want to collect from each, especially if it is a large group...it would take a very long time....

but my main reason for collecting on the ship, prior to the port is that sometimes people dont show up, or are sick...I am able to replace them with a wait list...if I do it on the day of, it is horrible...as I have to tell everyone that since someone did not show up, all of us have to pay more....

for my tangier tour in november...it is $20 pp...I do plan to have everyone pay the tour guide, as I have more people than we need for that price, so if someone backs out, the rest of us are still ok...but then there is no time to alert someone on the wait list that there is a spot for them...

my suggestion to those who feel they cant trust, or feel someone is making a few dollars....organize tours yourself....let me know if you find a method where you feel appreciated and trusted as well as collect the money in such a way that it does not hold up the tour , as well it allows for wait list members to have a fair shot at it.....

Edited by beachchairs2

The person who set up our Black Sea cruises did have a couple of guides offer to "comp" her and her husband (or perhaps just her alone, I don't recall). She did have two groups of 16 at one point so she was bringing them a lot of business.

But she told us about it and did not want to get something for nothing, so she paid the fuel surcharge for all participants, which was a fair exchange.

I, too, have had the experience of fronting money for someone who never bothered paying me back ... it wasn't on a tour but it's still bothersome that some people will act this way. Quite shocking, actually.

Mura

I too have set up tours and never taken any comps or added fees from others. It never even occurred to me, since the savings a small group enjoys is so great compared to the ship's tours, I can't imagine anyone thinking they should get even more. Besides the smaller tours are so much more intimate and fun than the cattle car tours offered by most ships, and that is my "perk", hopefully shared by all on the tour too.

I have had one tour operator ask if I'd like to become his "American contact for his tours." Needless to say, I said no thanks. Maybe that's what that woman has done and is trying to pay for her cruise habit that way? Who knows.

Anyway, I agree. It is very distasteful to treat your fellow passengers in such a shabby way.

Ill never forget my decision to collect money for a tenerife tour just a half hour earlier before boarding the tour bus....

well there were people who did not show up....there were people who didnt have the right amount....there were people whose significant other was ill and they wanted to pay for one....my husband and I were going crazy...I also had volunteers helping me collect...there were 63 people for 2 buses....oh I just didnt know what to do....so we gathered all we could....no it did not add up to the total price the tour guide had quoted.....while others were having lunch , we tried to tell the bus driver who was collecting the total , the whole mess that had happened...of course I felt I was incompetent....and needed to do it differently....and of course my husband and I made up the difference...

as for giving everyone the tour guides email .....yes I do that too with the proviso that they field the questions through me....I have had tour guides who tell me that they are being bombarded with questions, such as can people be dropped off at a different site than everyone else...well the guides dont want to deal with all the questions...they want the organizer to do it...

so why do I do this....

mainly to get a good price...to have control of an itinerary....but wonder if it is worth all the problems...would love to just pay someone, sit on the bus and enjoy..let them make a few dollars....I dont care.....but very few people take on this task...I dont blame them....

and when you see that there are unscrupulous people who make all those of us who organize, look bad.....makes me just want to say, I will never do it again.....but of course I will but maybe just with the few friends we travel with....but then the price is much higher....

really dont have the answer here....and this was not the posters topic...so it just went off on a tangent....

Ill never forget my decision to collect money for a tenerife tour just a half hour earlier before boarding the tour bus....

well there were people who did not show up....there were people who didnt have the right amount....there were people whose significant other was ill and they wanted to pay for one....my husband and I were going crazy...I also had volunteers helping me collect...there were 63 people for 2 buses....oh I just didnt know what to do....so we gathered all we could....no it did not add up to the total price the tour guide had quoted.....while others were having lunch , we tried to tell the bus driver who was collecting the total , the whole mess that had happened...of course I felt I was incompetent....and needed to do it differently....and of course my husband and I made up the difference...

as for giving everyone the tour guides email .....yes I do that too with the proviso that they field the questions through me....I have had tour guides who tell me that they are being bombarded with questions, such as can people be dropped off at a different site than everyone else...well the guides dont want to deal with all the questions...they want the organizer to do it...

so why do I do this....

mainly to get a good price...to have control of an itinerary....but wonder if it is worth all the problems...would love to just pay someone, sit on the bus and enjoy..let them make a few dollars....I dont care.....but very few people take on this task...I dont blame them....

and when you see that there are unscrupulous people who make all those of us who organize, look bad.....makes me just want to say, I will never do it again.....but of course I will but maybe just with the few friends we travel with....but then the price is much higher....

really dont have the answer here....and this was not the posters topic...so it just went off on a tangent....

63 is way too many LOLOL

I send out a set of "rules" or "guidelines" to all my private tour participants. That avoids any misunderstandings about our respective responsibilities. That seems to do the trick.

On the matter of private small group tours/charges:

I often set up the bulk of such tours myself...but gladly let others do this as well...

When I set up a tour (and I have done tours with groups of 4 to 12, no more--I really don't want to put myself in a big group on a big bus), I have always done all of this way before the cruise. I have always shared the correspondence with the tour guide with all of the participants--including pricing. I have never taken a "comp". If offered, I negotiate that as a discount--and pass it along to the entire group pro rata. I don't want anything "for free" at the expense of others--not right. Often, I have encountered tour companies who have asked for a deposit...or even full payment up front...and I have typically paid for that myself...after which I will copy the receipt to everyone in the group with an accounting. I don't want their to be any misunderstanding of what was or wasn't paid or how. I have typically trusted my Roll Call tour mates to pay me back when we get to the ship--and I have NEVER had anyone stiff me. Maybe I've been lucky.

Most tours I've set up require payment ON THE DATE OF THE TOUR...So, I've always had each participant pay the guide directly for their share.

After I've set up a tour, I will stay in touch with the tour company by email--including asking for a confirmation of all terms reasonably prior to the cruise--and forward all discussions to the entire group...

I will send out instructions to the group reminding them of the charges for the tour--and how they are to be paid, which, in Europe is typically in either US Dollars or Euros...reminding them to bring with them that day sufficient money to pay for their share IN CASH (unless credit cards are accepted, in which case I will note that) PLUS sufficient funds to give the guide/driver a customary tip...

I guess I am a little anal...But I think people appreciate this approach.

When I have been on tours that others have organized, I've usually found that they will share the correspondence with the tour company as well. If they don't I will typically ask for it. But, since I book so many of these tours myself, I've often already corresponded with the tour proividers myself and know full well what they charge for a tour.

I'm sure that somewhere out there, there are cruisers looking to scam others on tour costs...But I have never run into any...I think, for the most part, the people I've met on the Roll Calls are very much like me...We're happy to be able to put together a group...We've got no problem with the costs...And, in the end, we find that most of the people we've arranged tours with are going to be people we see often during the cruise...It is certainly not worth screwing up those relationships to shave a few dollars off a tour cost!