Do I Really Need to Make MDR Reservations with My Time Dining?

Sailing on Freedom September 7 and just read a review of a cruiser who said "walk-ups never got in." I didn't make reservations on Oasis last September and didn't have a problem. Is Freedom so different? I don't mind waiting a few minutes....we'd normally go around 7 pm. Any advice? Party of two and we're willing to share tables...

Nope, you absolutely do not have to make reservations. Walk up, within the dining times, is perfectly fine. At peak times, you may have a short wait (usually around 6:30-7:30), but it is a short wait - you will not be turned away or not be able to eat in the dining room!

It is not required but I highly recommend making reservations. You can always cancel them if your plans change. Depending on the evening you could wait quite a while before you are seated if you do not have a reservation. This then has a cascade effect if you have show plans for that evening as well. I'm a planner so I ALWAYS make reservations and change them if needed.

Sailing on Freedom September 7 and just read a review of a cruiser who said "walk-ups never got in." I didn't make reservations on Oasis last September and didn't have a problem. Is Freedom so different? I don't mind waiting a few minutes....we'd normally go around 7 pm. Any advice? Party of two and we're willing to share tables...
If you don't mind waiting you don't need them.

We've seen MTD divided into two lines for those with reservations and those without. Since doing this, it seems to keep things moving better than when MTD was first implemented.

Never had problems not having a reservation. We've gotten to where we no longer make reservations for MTD and have had no issues besides some minor wait time.

We've seen MTD divided into two lines for those with reservations and those without. Since doing this, it seems to keep things moving better than when MTD was first implemented.

Never had problems not having a reservation. We've gotten to where we no longer make reservations for MTD and have had no issues besides some minor wait time.

Same for us. We never make reservations either. We like to go on the fly as when we sail away. For us we like to watch the sail away from our balcony then get ready for dinner.

MTD likes and it appears, prefers reservations so they can place you in approximately the same area with the same servers. For us, this does not matter.

Tim

Used MTD a lot and most of the time walk up between 7 - 8 pm and get a table for 2 with no wait. The only time I made reservations was on Oasis and Allure when there was a 9pm show so that I could make it to the show.

What are the show times on RCI? We are going on the Freedom and I am trying to figure out what dining time to reserve

The shows will be timed to be convenient for traditional dining times. Those dining times are 5:30pm and 8pm on Freedom.

Edited by clarea

I'd say only if you have a big group. I've seen the my time with reservations line WAY longer than the walk up. if its two of us sailing, we do the walk up. If its five of us (the other way we travel), we reserve

I would be a bit skeptical of this review. Walk-ups never got in just does not sound right. Many people do not make reservations.

I am now up to 50 nights on Voyager, Radiance and Vision class and have always used MTD and have never booked a time. The longest that I have had to wait was about 5 minutes.

Once you get to know people on the cruise (especially on a longer cruise) you can easily run into other people on the way to dinner and it is nice not to feel that you have to run off for your booked time.

Thanks for all the replies. I think as we are a party of two and I don't mind having another glass of wine while I wait if necessary....we will forgo reservations. After all, that always seemed the whole beauty of My Time Dining....just go when you feel like it!