IRON: Will They deliver an iron to your cabin for use?

I typically travel with a steamer. I understand the concern for Irons in the cabins but on a recent cruise on another line, my steamer was confiscated.

Being a wrinkle freak, I was none too pleased but actually survived just

fine;). I traveled with less dressy clothing and what i had in the end was hardly wrinkled.

I did today however read a thread on that cruise line's board asking if an iron could be delivered to the stateroom. (Security at check in when they took my steamer actually said this but i didn't believe it or try it.) There have been several responses confirming this and I wonder if this is also an option on RCL?

Thanks

I typically travel with a steamer. I understand the concern for Irons in the cabins but on a recent cruise on another line, my steamer was confiscated.

fine;). I traveled with less dressy clothing and what i had in the end was hardly wrinkled.

I did today however read a thread on that cruise line's board asking if an iron could be delivered to the stateroom. (Security at check in when they took my steamer actually said this but i didn't believe it or try it.) There have been several responses confirming this and I wonder if this is also an option on RCL?

Thanks

in one word.... NO

they will gladly charge to press something for you, though.

others have reported great success using the downy wrinkle remover...

good luck

happy cruising

Steve

Thanks

No they won´t deliver an iron to your cabin and there is no self laundry rooms onboard. YOur only bet is to send your stuff for pressing.

I understand that they confiscate them as found during embarkation. If that is the case I doubt that they would loan you one once on board.

You might try to smuggle on onto the ship, but the ironing board would be a dead give away. :D

others have reported great success using the downy wrinkle remover...

I have had great success with the Downy wrinkle remover. I no longer use my iron at home. Unless it is for something really special.

I have never had my steamer taken away, but I haven't used it for about a year.

Gwen :)

Aside from the spray wrinkle release stuff, you can also hang a garment in the bathroom or, my personal favorite for tough creases, dampen the wrinkle then hit with the blow dryer. This comes from someone who hasn't owned an ironing board in over 30 years. We do own an iron but I'd be hard pressed to locate it. DH has a little steamer that I've used twice over the years. Rule #1 - never buy fabric that requires ironing. A little careful packing and you're really on vacation.

No.

Options.

1. Pay nominal rate for pressing

2. Downy Wrinkle Release OR Make your OWN wrinkle release (it's just liquid fabric softener watered down in a spray bottle).

3. Steam up the bathroom and then use blow dryer on shirt. Time consuming. Not too effective.

4. I have never had trouble bringing a portable steamer that does not have an exposed metal heating plate. It is essential that it not have an exposed metal heating plate.

Downy Wrinkle Release Plus -works great - found mine at Walmart in the travel size amenity section. Just allow a little extra time to let it air dry.

Or, hang your wrinkled garment in the bathroom when taking a hot shower and let the steam remove most of the wrinkles. Let it air dry in the cabin overnight or for a few hours.

Pay for pressing.

Happy sails.

4. I have never had trouble bringing a portable steamer that does not have an exposed metal heating plate. It is essential that it not have an exposed metal heating plate.

I have a steamer that has a plastic plate on it and it was still taken from me.

Just wondering why they would deliver an iron if your steamer was confiscated?

That's a nice little thing NCL does, but sadly RCCL wants to charge you for it:rolleyes:

You're right...NCL will bring you an ironing board and an iron, but only for a limited amount of time. I think they said 15 min, but we had it longer than that.

Thanks all for the info. I figured as much on Rccl but thought I'd ask. Personally I like the little areas on a Princess ship with laundry and an ironing board/iron!

I will give the wrinkle release product a try and Lioness...will def try my daughter's hair straightener since it's a crease issue much of the time!

I did make it through the cruise ;)but have to say I packed less dressy items on the NCL cruise than I would on an RCCL one.

Thanks again

This comes from someone who hasn't owned an ironing board in over 30 years. We do own an iron but I'd be hard pressed to locate it. DH has a little steamer that I've used twice over the years. Rule #1 - never buy fabric that requires ironing.

My favorite trick at home (won't work on a ship, obviously) is to toss the wrinkled item in the dryer on high heat with a damp washcloth for about 10 minutes. Steams the wrinkles out while I finish getting ready.

WHAT!!! what were you thinking? You need to read up on that stuff from the cruise lines.Do's and donts..

We had a group of 19 on board the Freedom in July and one couple thought they'd bring an iron in their suitcase to press out a few things...nope! confiscated... when going through the x-ray machine and returned on debarkation.

Fire Marshall Bill doesn't allow that !

Aside from the spray wrinkle release stuff, you can also hang a garment in the bathroom or, my personal favorite for tough creases, dampen the wrinkle then hit with the blow dryer. This comes from someone who hasn't owned an ironing board in over 30 years. We do own an iron but I'd be hard pressed to locate it. DH has a little steamer that I've used twice over the years. Rule #1 - never buy fabric that requires ironing. A little careful packing and you're really on vacation.

Love your suggestion!!! Will definitely be testing this in the near future!

Thanks

No they wont, they want your money for services they provide.

FYI I put one small travel iron in each bag (we had 3), usually my dress bag gets confiscated, but they other two I have. I also carry downy wrinkle free spray just in case.

I press everything before packing and hang them on hangers covered with dry cleaning bags. The bags cause a cushion of air between each layer and there are no wrinkles when I unpack. I can usually get two or three items in each bag but if you want extra protection put each item in their own bag. Dry cleaners will usually give you free bags.

And .... you also already have the creases in the pants/shirts. Works wonders!

No they wont, they want your money for services they provide.

FYI I put one small travel iron in each bag (we had 3), usually my dress bag gets confiscated, but they other two I have. I also carry downy wrinkle free spray just in case.

I think they don't allow irons is for the safety of you, other passengers and crew. Fire is one of the biggest threats to a cruise ship.

Shak

I have had great success with the Downy wrinkle remover. I no longer use my iron at home. Unless it is for something really special.

I have never had my steamer taken away, but I haven't used it for about a year.

Gwen :)

We have taken both a steamer and wrinkle release and as of late, we have even abandoned the steamer and just do the wrinkle release and steam garments in the shower after spraying with the release.