New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, cruisernan said:

We are traveling on the Veendam in September.  Does anyone know if they have non-alcoholic beer/wine onboard for dinner or at bars?  If so, what brands?

Thank you very much for any info.

It looks like the only non-alcoholic beer is Heineken but I didn’t go through all the bar menus on @Crew News site:  Roger Jett Photography

4BAB3D07-CD17-4089-9F92-6D7387FBCBAC.png

Couple of questions ;

1 We like a cocktail before dinner and wonder is there is any music in any of the lounges (piano player or solo guitarist) to listen to . Sort of background music for atmosphere  on the Nieuw Statendam .I have read and now familiar with the music walk area but that seems to be after dinner.

2.Late night coffee and brandy, what lounges or is the coffee shop area still open  around midnight.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

years ago travelled by train from Toronto to Niagara. It was in the middle of summer. I absolutely froze - they had cranked up the air con to a ridiculous level as do some shops. Am booked on a New England cruise in the Fall. Can I expect HAL to turn up the heating to the point where I should take summer clothes too?

5 minutes ago, PaulineW said:

years ago travelled by train from Toronto to Niagara. It was in the middle of summer. I absolutely froze - they had cranked up the air con to a ridiculous level as do some shops. Am booked on a New England cruise in the Fall. Can I expect HAL to turn up the heating to the point where I should take summer clothes too?

Not sure what month your cruise is, but the Fall is not exactly cold, normally 😉 

I wouldn’t expect the ship to have the heat cranked up.  I always find that the ships are relatively cool - even when we cruise the Baltic’s.

3 hours ago, PaulineW said:

I Just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Noordam and it was very cool outside, but I didn't find ship to be too cold or hot inside.  Wore short sleeves while on the ship and a jacket or hooded sweat shirt when on the deck or going ashore.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, kb4683 said:

We are going to be in a Spa Vista Suite on the Maasdam and I have a few questions.

1.  The description includes "iPod docking station".  Is there the ability to connect a different kind of MP3 player (Sony) via a 3.5mm audio cable?

2. Are the electrical outlets pretty much the same as other cabins -- 1 US and 1 EU at the desk?

3. I read one review that said the hairdryer outlet (EU) was under the desk - is this true on Maasdam?

Thank you!

Thought I would update with answers to my above questions.

1. The "iPod docking station" can be connected to any MP3 player via an audio cable if you have it with you.

DSCF3902.thumb.jpg.39fd0c6db8cf3c64d0252dd1bc3e983d.jpg

2. Only US outlet above the desk.

DSCF3901.thumb.jpg.c76d6bc7c6e2f0f6d79f402b29426ec5.jpg

3. There are 2 EU outlets and 1 US outlet under the desk.  This particular suite also had the pictured power strip mounted under the desk.  (The item plugged into the power strip is the power for the Bose docking station.)

DSCF3904.thumb.jpg.f8f025fb80837c38f8608090b846e8de.jpg

Having the EU outlets under the desk was a bit inconvenient since the hairdryer is EU.  Not impossible, just inconvenient.

These photos were of Spa Vista Suite BQ122 on the Maasdam.  Hope they may help future cruisers.

7 hours ago, PaulineW said:

If you're in New England in the fall, on the ship or off, the key is pack layers

TA said that too but as am away for a month in total don’t want to lug three layers with me albeit one layer  would be flimsy (summer) stuff.  Plus weight luggage issue re flights. 😊. Knowing the base line is v helpful. 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, liamur14 said:

Wondering what adapter and converter to buy for Lanai room? Cpap will be be using us outlet and I want to use the other with adpter for camera and computer, thanks

Here is the adpater that I use to take advantage of the European plugs since tablets and phones can use 220V:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR9DB9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to US electrical adapters that will let you use three 110V devices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY5WZVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the long HAL cruises of over 30 days,

1. do they have a show every night or only on some nights?

2. how many production shows will we see in 30 days and how many guest performers like singers clowns, magicians, jugglers and acrobats?

3. how do the shows and entertainment in general compare with Princess and celebrity

Thanks

Sailing on the Zuiderdam this November with my toddler. I understand that the aft pool on (all? most?) ships is adults-only. Does that just apply to the pool itself, or to the whole area? Can we still watch sail away from there, bring food out from the buffet to enjoy outside, etc.?

It only applies to the pool. You can enjoy the sail away & the buffet like every one else. That time of year the inside pool is much nicer any way.  hope you both enjoy your cruise.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:16 PM, saltshell said:

Wish HAL would do a seaday brunch. Have only experienced breakfast and lunch.

I'm with you. We tend to stay up late when cruising (especially on sea days) and since we loathe the buffet it makes meal times difficult. And since we tend to eat at in-between times it would be lovely to have brunch options so I could get breakfast and my beloved could get lunch. Oh well.

56 minutes ago, Bengalfang said:

I leave on my cruise tomorrow with a depart time at 3 from Vancouver headed to AK. How early can I drop off my bags and walk around downtown Vancouver?

The stevedores are usually available to take your bags earlier than check in.

You are probably safe in Vancouver around 10:15 AM, IME.