New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I can also attest that the tap water is perfectly safe to drink. The water that the servers refill in your glasses in MDR / Lido is probably the tap water as well and they taste about the same.

That being said, the canned water in HAL has a slight flavor to it (and if you read the ingredients, it has electrolytes added). So I like it a bit better. I take them on port days as well because you never know when you'd be thirsty without easy access to a drinking fountain. But when I'm in the room, I drink the tap water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Sorry if this has been asked previously. Does Holland America give on board credit or compensate some other way if you book a cruise and the price drops?

Before final payment they will honour the price drop but you will have to factor in any included packages or non-refundable discounts from your initial purchase.  After final payment, if you have booked direct or with a PCC, they will work to compensate you in some form or another.  That has not been my experience with a TA, however.  Also, booking with a PCC/direct is the best way to receive upsell offers closer to the sailing.  Again, that has not been my experience with a TA, so I prefer using a PCC.  

Lido is open 10:30PM-11:30PM. In-room dining is available 24-hours.

Alaskan Lido Buffet Late Night menu from earlier this year

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/7-Day-Late-Buffet.pdf

In-room dining menu on Vista and smaller ships

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/7-Day-Late-Buffet.pdf

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BuckGood said:

I see we are allowed to bring on board 1 bottle of wine or champagne of 750ml, does the $20 fee effect Only if you drink it in public? 

Thanks

There is a recent rule-change where the corkage fee is now applied to all bottles of champagne and wine brought on board.  Previously, we could bring one per person without a corkage fee.  If you didn’t drink it in your room, however, you would be charged the corkage.  

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

There is a recent rule-change where the corkage fee is now applied to all bottles of champagne and wine brought on board.  Previously, we could bring one per person without a corkage fee.  If you didn’t drink it in your room, however, you would be charged the corkage.  

Bummer . I always enjoyed my "free" balcony wine . 

9 hours ago, BuckGood said:

I see we are allowed to bring on board 1 bottle of wine or champagne of 750ml, does the $20 fee effect Only if you drink it in public? 

Thanks

But you can bring as many bottles as you would like. I have happily brought more than a case aboard and paid corkage. That way I can drink what I prefer and not pay exorbitant prices for inexpensive wine. Some of that inexpensive wine they offer is decent enough but they often run out of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, a1211 said:

Will we get body wash in our bathroom on the Noordam? Thanks!

Elemis amenities are provided in each stateroom including Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower and Bath Gel, Body Lotion

• Like 1

19 hours ago, '51 Pinot said:

But you can bring as many bottles as you would like. I have happily brought more than a case aboard and paid corkage. That way I can drink what I prefer and not pay exorbitant prices for inexpensive wine. Some of that inexpensive wine they offer is decent enough but they often run out of my favorites.

I like your idea, but I wonder how you get the wine on board. It's heavy and fragile. I'm travelling solo, so I'll have to manage my luggage on my own. Any hints?

16 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I like your idea, but I wonder how you get the wine on board. It's heavy and fragile. I'm travelling solo, so I'll have to manage my luggage on my own. Any hints?

Buy it at the embarkation port.  Drop off your luggage at the ship and then go to the wine store.

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I get a mixed case (or two) before embarking. The hotel will hold it until departure day. Hotel loads it into taxi. Porters unload it as luggage and carry to ship. Ship bills me for corkage and delivers it to my cabin. Add to cabin fridge as needed. Bring bottle to dinner or bring a full glass to various venues. Works like a charm.

Thanks 51 Pinot  - I will try to do what you do. 

Islandwoman - I'm cruising from Australia, and I doubt that our cruise ports have wine stores. If they did, I expect the choices would not be great.  I'm flying in to stay the night before my next cruise from Brisbane at accommodation which is right next door to one of our biggest wine store chains, so I now intend to go there and buy some good wines that I like, to take aboard and pay the corkage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Islandwoman - I'm cruising from Australia, and I doubt that our cruise ports have wine stores.

Several years ago I sailed from Sydney to Europe.  There was a wine store within walking distance of where our ship was docked at Circular Quay.  I knew that many of our ports would be in countries that prohibit drinking because of official religion. So we wanted to stock up.  After we checked into the ship, DH and I took turns walking to the wine store and bringing back 2 bottles of Australian wine at a time, which we took to our cabin and then started our trek again.  I don't know whether the wine was "great", but we liked it.

7 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks 51 Pinot  - I will try to do what you do. 

Just before Covid we started a cruise from Auckland. Found 'The Good Wine Co." online, an Auckland business who did not have a storefront but an excellent website with nice prices. They shipped wine directly to front desk of our hotel. Their website with great wine descriptions made it easier to decide what we would like rather than walking around a store with mostly unknown labels.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 6:55 PM, a1211 said:

Just wondering.....what's the afternoon tea service like?

The maitre'd will sit you down. You get to specify if you would like your own table or share with someone else. There will be 3-tiered snack trays already waiting on your table, and there are waiters going around with pots of tea. They will refill your empty cups.

In general the atmosphere is "supposed" to be upscale and calm, but I've had occasional times when it was a bit louder than necessary, or people come in lido-deck outfits. I'm not judging them but it does subtract from the atmosphere a bit.

The snacks are okay. There are hits and misses but generally less than what you'd get in an MDR appetizer or dessert (in terms of quality, I know they are different kinds of food). 

The tea is standard English black tea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nyold said:

The maitre'd will sit you down. You get to specify if you would like your own table or share with someone else. There will be 3-tiered snack trays already waiting on your table, and there are waiters going around with pots of tea. They will refill your empty cups.

In general the atmosphere is "supposed" to be upscale and calm, but I've had occasional times when it was a bit louder than necessary, or people come in lido-deck outfits. I'm not judging them but it does subtract from the atmosphere a bit.

The snacks are okay. There are hits and misses but generally less than what you'd get in an MDR appetizer or dessert (in terms of quality, I know they are different kinds of food). 

The tea is standard English black tea.

Some folks on vacation like to relax and dress in a manner that is relaxing to them.  I don't think they dress with the thought someone may judge them or what they wear

4 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

Some folks on vacation like to relax and dress in a manner that is relaxing to them.  I don't think they dress with the thought someone may judge them or what they wear

We frequently visit friends in Galveston Island Texas and there is a 5 star fine dinning restaurant there we love. Galveston is a beach town with tourists on vacation who like to relax and wear what they want. However if you want to dine in this one 5 star restaurant you must adhere to their dress code. Men must wear slacks and collared shirts  and blouses and long pants for women, no T shirts, shorts or torn jeans are allowed, they will absolutely not seat you. This restaurant is sold out for 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time in the summer months. The owners set the rules and enforce them, why shouldn't a cruise line set their rules and be able to enforce them?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We frequently visit friends in Galveston Island Texas and there is a 5 star fine dinning restaurant there we love. Galveston is a beach town with tourists on vacation who like to relax and wear what they want. However if you want to dine in this one 5 star restaurant you must adhere to their dress code. Men must wear slacks and collared shirts  and blouses and long pants for women, no T shirts, shorts or torn jeans are allowed, they will absolutely not seat you. This restaurant is sold out for 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time in the summer months. The owners set the rules and enforce them, why shouldn't a cruise line set their rules and be able to enforce them?

We dress for fine dining. (Except once when husband's slacks were out for press and not back before our dinnertime) 

Honestly,  I don't care what people wear seated next to me as long as they speak within their table mates hearing.

I look into my sweetheart's eyes and enjoy our moment.

• Like 2