New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Thank you for your excellent advice, Cruise Suzy! I'm hoping to do a good whale watching excursion - several listed in general Juneau excursion listing, but non listed in the Juneau itinerary "port activity" suggestions. In fact, surprisingly little whale watching mentioned in entire itinerary. Is it just not a successful excursion choice with such late port arrivals in Juneau (1pm) and Victoria (6pm)? Any suggestions about what port to do it in or anything else about it? (Additional ports: Sitka, Ketchikan, Seattle)  Also, can I or should I make Pinnacle Grill reservations before the cruise departs? I don't want to miss out! Thank you so much!

I've booked one of the HAL Whale Watching shore excursions in Juneau. There are quite a few online to choose from. There is plenty of time to do them with a 1PM arrival. Ours is 4 hours long. Did you look under Already Booked, Manage My Booking, Shore Excursions, then whichever port you are considering? If you want, you can even download a file with all the Shore Excursions to study offline. In Sitka we're doing the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest plus walking around town. Should see some whales there too. Victoria has an orca cruise if you want to see them.

You should make Pinnacle Grill bookings before boarding if there is a specific day/time you want to book. With it being included in the "Have It All" promos and fares, many are booking now with Complimentary Dines. Bookings for Specialty Dining have been available for several months.

Have you joined your roll call yet? You can ask questions there too.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:53 AM, Josmi said:

We were hoping that we could take 12 cans of Diet Coke on board, but that looks like only "water" is allowed to be brought on board (and wine, subject to corkage fee). 

Does "water" just mean plain water, or are you allowed to bring cans of flavored sparkling water, like La Croix? 

*Bump. Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? 🙂

Another question - this came by email today:

This notification is to advise that your assigned check in time for your upcoming voyage has been assigned or has changed. Please take a moment to review and print the boarding pass page in your documents from Online Check In or update your electronic boarding pass in our Navigator app on your phone or tablet to present to our staff at check in.

On the document they sent, or in the docs online, I do not see a check-in time at the pier. Is this what is being referred to? 

I'm also looking at my boarding pass online, and I don't see anything that looks like a bar code similar to other cruise tickets I've used with other cruise lines. Am I missing something?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

44 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I'm also looking at my boarding pass online, and I don't see anything that looks like a bar code similar to other cruise tickets I've used with other cruise lines. Am I missing something?

The barcode will be added just a few days before you board. The time may change between now and then. I never print the pass until the bar code appears.

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The barcode will be added just a few days before you board. The time may change between now and then. I never print the pass until the bar code appears.

Thank you, I was getting concerned. I’m used to having them available weeks ahead of time. ❤️

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

No need to print the pass at all if you have the Navigator app on your device. The check-in process is now completed automated/electronic, and all the necessary info for boarding will be in the app.

Easy-peasy..

14 hours ago, Josmi said:

*Bump. Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? 🙂

That’s a good question.  I haven’t seen where anyone has done this but I guess the only way to find out is to try it.  Alternatively, you could maybe bring on those flavor drops/packets to add to your water.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:45 PM, *Miss G* said:

That’s a good question.  I haven’t seen where anyone has done this but I guess the only way to find out is to try it.  Alternatively, you could maybe bring on those flavor drops/packets to add to your water.

The best rule of thumb would probably be that if HAL *wants* to sell it onboard, you probably can't bring your own.  

That being said, I absolutely intend to bring some "water enhancers" on board with me next time; I like the flavors, I like the zero calories, and I like making my drink as light or heavy as I'd like it to be.

3 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

The best rule of thumb would probably be that if HAL *wants* to sell it onboard, you probably can't bring your own.  

That being said, I absolutely intend to bring some "water enhancers" on board with me next time; I like the flavors, I like the zero calories, and I like making my drink as light or heavy as I'd like it to be.

Thinking you and I may have different meanings for "water enhancers". 🍹🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Any advice for cruising HAL to New Zealand--on the Noordam.  We've only done one HA cruise and weren't too impressed but willing to try again.

Which cruise are you considering?  If it's a transpacific, then that's a really long cruise on a line that didn't impress you the first time.  Can you tell us what you'd like on a cruise?

5 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Which cruise are you considering?  If it's a transpacific, then that's a really long cruise on a line that didn't impress you the first time.  Can you tell us what you'd like on a cruise?

We would be cruising from Australia to New Zealand.  14 nights. This is pretty port intensive so probably the ship/line doesn't matter as much.  We generally cruise Princess, Celebrity or NCL, mostly Princess.  The entertainment seemed really lacking on the Oosterdam, but for this cruise may not be that important.

Nbr.cruiser:  I usually cruise Princess also, including a couple of cruises that embarked in Australia.  I've only sailed  HAL once and that was in the Caribbean.  Princess' entertainment on her cruises out of Australia was aimed at the Australian audience. We didn't get most of the jokes!  Comparing Princess and HAL, IMHO the only disadvantage of Holland America ships is that they don't have laundromats. 

I hope someone who has more cruises with HAL will post their experiences.

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We would be cruising from Australia to New Zealand.  14 nights. This is pretty port intensive so probably the ship/line doesn't matter as much.  We generally cruise Princess, Celebrity or NCL, mostly Princess.  The entertainment seemed really lacking on the Oosterdam, but for this cruise may not be that important.

We primarily cruised with HAL the last 12 years, but after a couple of Celebrity cruises post Covid we are switching our loyalty to Celebrity. More real suite benefits and much better food in the MDR and true suites only restaurant. We have 2 NZ Australia cruises booked in January 2024 on the much newer Celebrity Edge, We found the suites pricing and added amenities much better on the Edge VS the Noordam. Our Oosterdam cruise this August will probably be our last HAL cruise and only booked to use up a FCC from 2021. Never been on a Princess cruise and we did a one and done with NCL in their Haven suites.

Edited by terrydtx

Regular HAL cruisers here. You just never know. We tried Princess a couple of years ago on a transpacific cruise with a lot of sea days (which we like). Ship layout was comparable. Food was OK. The worse part about the cruise were our cabin stewards. Got off to a bad start when we asked for some ice and they told us where we could go get it. Then just plain rude throughout the cruise.

At the end they were yelling at us and pounding on our door when we didn't get off the ship quickly enough. Never again. We much prefer our mostly Balinese and Thai personnel on HAL. Our last cruise on HAL from Barcelona to Florida last fall was much more in our comfort zone.

We just tried Princess in March and much prefer Holland America.  If lots of entertainment is important to you then you may want to stick with Princess.  If a prom and forward observation lounge and traditional dining is important to you then I would choose HAL.  Would love to know your decision.  Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone.  At this time it looks like the Noordam cruise isn't going to work because of timing.  We have enjoyed every cruise on every line we have tried so I am sure we would have been fine.  Now looking at a Princess for the Great Barrier Reef and RCI for New Zealand as they fit our dates better.

We are trying 'to do it all'  (of course we know we can't see all of Australia in a month:) and hope to also go to the Red Center, in between or after cruises.

But you never know!  We loved the HAL itinerary, which included Melbourne and Tasmania as well as New Zealand.  Slight negative that wasn't round trip Sydney.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

Hello! any tips for the 7-day Canada/New England Cruise? we are going on the 25 of June on Zaandam. I am going with my mother and want to buy her something special for the trip (13 so I can't get some stuff.) we are Canadian citizens. I was thinking of the chocolate-covered strawberries. We are going to Canaletto for the sea day. 

• Like 1

I love that you want to do something special for your Mom!  The chocolate covered strawberries are a nice idea.  You could always buy something at home and give it to her on the ship (things you buy on the ship are expensive.). It would be nice to have something that she could remember the trip every time she used it.  When I was in Alaska I wished that I had a nice rain jacket, an umbrella and a scarf.  Also,  a note thanking her for how special she is would mean a great deal to her too.

• Like 2