New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I thought the Verifly app was only for American and British airlines? Is this something HAL now accepts?

Yes, they are now accepting it. I can't say if it is at every embarkation port.  It is still totally voluntary.

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a lovely ship; you have made a great choice!  Check out the Tamarind Bar as well as the Tamarind Restaurant.  They are favourite spots for many.  Also BB King’s is a super fun night spot.  I don’t have a “Live-From” thread on the NA but I do have a PICTURE THREAD of our Neptune Suite, which is almost the same as the Signature Suite.  Sadly, this was before CC had improved their site so you probably won’t see the pictures until about halfway down the thread, but the first posts will explain what they are.  You can also find pictures on the HALfacts Site.  Welcome to Holland America and to cruising!!

Depending on your ship, there is a dining reservations podium located in the hallway usually on Deck 3 mid ship near the Pinnacle Grill.  Check your When & Where for the times and locations.  The When & Where will be in your stateroom upon arrival.

Thank you so very much for this info. Found the pictures and it is good to see what our cabin will be like. I found how to make dining reservations on-line for the MDR. Guessed at a good time when we are on sea days. Figured we would probably try some of the other options, too. I am now starting to get very excited!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Just checked my reservation and it says “Main Upper Dining” Table for 2. Is this at a set time or do I have to select a time?   Sailing 4/29/23. 

I believe that is the traditional early set dining time, usually 5:30pm.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Oh no, we like to eat late. How would I change that -my TA?

Check with your TA, you might also want to change to anytime dining where you can choose what time you want to eat dinner. The set late seating is usually 8:30pm which is way too late for us, so we always do anytime, we like entering between 6:30 and 7:00pm.

Edited by terrydtx

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Check with your TA, you might also want to change to anytime dining where you can choose what time you want to eat dinner. The set late seating is usually 8:30pm which is way too late for us, so we always do anytime, we like entering between 6:30 and 7:00pm.

That is exactly why we choose anytime.  One is to early and the other too late

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Oh no, we like to eat late. How would I change that -my TA?

We always eat late dining and HAL calls it main so you are in the correct dining time, if you ask me.  Main dining is around 8 pm.  But check with your TA to reassure yourself it's the time you want.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

Just checked my reservation and it says “Main Upper Dining” Table for 2. Is this at a set time or do I have to select a time?   Sailing 4/29/23. 

StLouisCruisers is correct that main seating is the late fixed seating, and is for 8:00 PM for at least most itineraries. Sometimes I have been at it at 7:45. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We always eat late dining and HAL calls it main so you are in the correct dining time, if you ask me.  Main dining is around 8 pm.  But check with your TA to reassure yourself it's the time you want.

Yes, that is how mine are always listed. I think the early dining is just that..."early". It's funny. DH and I always eat between 5 and 6 unless we are cruising on our own. Then we always choose main (late) dining. It makes for a relaxing end to port excursions, and time for snacks and naps on sea days. 

• Like 3

I just have two “newbie” questions.

1) our boarding pass mentions 2 gala nights. Will we find out when these are closer to cruise time or once we arrive on board. Just wondering about making reservations for those days.

2) when we disembark, will a backpack be big enough to hold our things left out of our suitcase if we go to minimal? We could pack a bigger bag if people think it would be needed. I know that we don’t know pick up times for our bags the night before yet. Just hoping we don’t have to have our formal wear on then and have to pack it to carry on.

Sorry about the “duh” questions, but first time!

9 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I know that we don’t know pick up times for our bags the night before yet. Just hoping we don’t have to have our formal wear on then and have to pack it to carry on.

The last night of a cruise is never a 'formal' night, so don't worry about that. 
I come in from the evening, change into what I am going to wear home (just to be sure I have everything I need), put my luggage in the passageway, then get into my night clothes. (A little extra work, but I've never had to wear the shower curtain home.)

Baggage is usually supposed to be out around midnight, or a little later. I believe Neptune Suites have until much later, but am not positive. I am positive I am long-since sound asleep when the deadline comes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The last night of a cruise is never a 'formal' night, so don't worry about that. 
I come in from the evening, change into what I am going to wear home (just to be sure I have everything I need), put my luggage in the passageway, then get into my night clothes. (A little extra work, but I've never had to wear the shower curtain home.)

Baggage is usually supposed to be out around midnight, or a little later. I believe Neptune Suites have until much later, but am not positive. I am positive I am long-since sound asleep when the deadline comes. 

Thank you so much for that info. It helps immensely!

On 5/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, kim89 said:

Hi, Do you know the hours of Lido buffet in Koningsdam (Alaska cruise) ? Thank You 

Lido breakfast and lunch hours vary, depending on whether it is a port day. I haven't paid attention to the dinner hours, since it is always open when we want to eat dinner.

23 hours ago, WeLoveOurVacations said:

Question about the Wi-Fi - Applies to first 2 guests in stateroom. Only 1 device connected at a time.  If we each have a cell phone to use Wi-Fi, can I also use my laptop as a device, as long as we aren't using our cell phone connections at the same time?   TY

Only one device can use the Internet through the ship's Wi-Fi at a time. If you are logged on and using the Internet, regardless of the type of device, another user on your account will be prompted to either force you off or upgrade to a plan that supports four devices when he/she attempts to connect to the Internet.

We have dealt with the restriction in the past by signing on with my laptop then creating a mobile hotspot on the laptop to share the connection. That way, any number of devices physically in the cabin can use that connection simultaneously.

This trip I upgraded our Premium plan to support up to four devices. On this 7-day cruise that cost $30. Now my laptop, my phone, my wife's laptop, and her tablet each has its own connection, anywhere in the ship. I still create a mobile hotspot on the laptop so my two tablets can have a connection while I am in the cabin, just to keep the ereader app on each synced to the furthest page read in my books.

A very important point when using cell phones for Internet access on the ship: Make sure you put the phone in Airplane Mode before connecting with the ship's Wi-Fi. Otherwise you can incur huge bills for inadvertantly using the "Cellular at Sea" connection.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Adding on to the question of wi-fi: has anyone used the premium Wi-Fi to do a video call while in the Inside Passage?

I haven't tried video calls from here in the Inside Passage, but I can tell you that the connection isn't fast enough to allow me to view our front door camera at home. 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, kim89 said:

Hi, Do you know the hours of Lido buffet in Koningsdam (Alaska cruise) ? Thank You 

@Crew News has a very informative site.  If you click on the links on THIS PAGE and scroll down, the hours are listed for each venue.  Here’s a screenshot.  It’s a different ship but they generally follow the same timetable.

5427D963-4EA9-4B06-8136-C0CECEE4E083.thumb.jpeg.3f871aecd13b32c3297da07d372e0c34.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*

Going on 7 day trip on Zaandam. It's the Canada/New England one. Been of royal Caribbean once, Princess once, and Marella once. Any tips? I am 13 and going with my mom.

Thanks in advance,

ArchieTheAxolotl

P.S

We have $100 onboard credit each. possibly $270 each. ( The price dropped so our TA is inquiring.)

Edited by ArchieTheAxolotl

On 5/18/2022 at 1:45 PM, dropframe said:

This is what I'm trying to figure out. How did you go about making your daily reservation and how much notice was required? 

We looked at our excursions schedule each day and booked the MDR in advance of our cruise online. You can go in and choose a different time for each day no problem. 

Shareholders OBC for HAL gratuities?

I just read the fine print on the Shareholders Credit benefit page for sailings through July 31, 2023, that states "credit cannot be used for...gratuities charged to your on board account."

Is this something new?  Pre -covid, I think we were able to use it for gratuities on Carnival cruises....

We booked the HAL Have it All promotion, so already have Wi-Fi, drinks, specialty dining and excursions.

Any suggestions for use of this Shareholders OBC if we cannot use it for gratuities?  I assume it is non-refundable.

Thanks!