New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

if you do the punch/lanyard, understand that you will have to lean down (or detach) the key card to get into your room.  I did the lanyard on one HAL trip and it just didn't work for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

if you do the punch/lanyard, understand that you will have to lean down (or detach) the key card to get into your room.  I did the lanyard on one HAL trip and it just didn't work for me.

I don't have to lean down or detach my key card from the lanyard to enter my room.  But of course, I'm only about 5'3" tall...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, D Lee said:

Front desk will punch hole in key card for you. I had card punch on last my cruise. My son kept for getting his key, but I always had mine.

I am currently at a resort in the Caribbean.  I had the office punch a hole in my key card so that I could attach it to my bathing suit.  It never worked after that. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I am currently at a resort in the Caribbean.  I had the office punch a hole in my key card so that I could attach it to my bathing suit.  It never worked after that. 

Were you on a Pinnacle class ship?  Those cards should only be punched in a small area, they do have a chip inside.  The other ships are only mag-stripe cards and can be punched. Guest services should have known better 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Or simply remove the lanyard from around your neck. We keep a magnetic hook on the wall just inside the cabin and hang our lanyards there. Very convenient and no need to look around for your card when leaving the cabin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Were you on a Pinnacle class ship?  Those cards should only be punched in a small area, they do have a chip inside.  The other ships are only mag-stripe cards and can be punched. Guest services should have known better 

Pinnacle-class stateroom key cards work via a touch antenna embedded in the card.  A safe hole punch area for this card is through the Mariner Status symbol located in the lower right corner of the card.

Other-class ship stateroom key cards can be punched anywhere that does not interfere with the magnetic strip on the back.

Bring your own hole puncher if it is made for thick plastic/credit cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or better yet use one of the plastic sleeves that will attach to the lanyard and when needed your card, with no hole punched in it, can be slipped in and out. 

Amazon.com : Nvtuuer 3 Packs Card Holder 4x3 Inches Horizontal ID Badge Protector Clear Vinyl Plastic Sleeve Cover Waterproof Resealable Zip for Work Travel (3) : Office Products

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2024 at 6:05 PM, ghstudio said:

I'm 5 foot nothing.  Never have to lean down.  Key is hanging in just the right place! 🙂I think it's so funny how this whole lanyard question keeps people interested year after year.  I remember my first cruise ever, about 25 years ago, after having forgotten my key card in my stateroom several times, and having to dig in my purse or pocket or whatever to find it when I didn't forget it... I was absolutely thrilled to see someone with a blingy lanyard with her key card hanging from it and thought, "now that is BRILLIANT!"  After that cruise I bought a lanyard and, almost 5 star now, have never looked back.  Is it "attractive"?  Well, I used to think it was absolutely tacky (but didn't care). But now? I think it's super-cute!! I use it as an accessory!  I've even been known to have made it work back when formal nights were really formal!  I never remove the card from the hook.  I've never met a bar-tender or barista who objected to taking the whole darn thing from me - and I just slip it back over my head when they hand it back.  Also, as stated, opening the door is a breeze even if my hands are full!  So count me on Team Lanyard~ !!

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Took me a-a-ages to figure that one out. 😛

Good news is the world won't end if the pink copy is not retained. 🫣

I seem to always forget - steward usually leaves it for me if they're the one who picks up the bag. If laundry picks up the bag, nothing is left. I've yet to have a messed up order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Aew0431 said:

I'm sorry. Read the part about laundry and reacted to that. It's the laundry form (HAL) I'm talking about. Do I keep one before doing it in the laundry bag or complete. 

Hi, Aew0431,

We always keep a copy. I do not remember which color. We have never had a problem but I would rather be safe than sorry.

We spent a week in Amsterdam a year ago. Loved the city, the people and the food. Where do you live?

Jim

3 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Aew0431,

We always keep a copy. I do not remember which color. We have never had a problem but I would rather be safe than sorry.

We spent a week in Amsterdam a year ago. Loved the city, the people and the food. Where do you live?

Jim

Hi Jim,

We live in Groningen, also in the Netherlands. Way up north. But now we are on the Nieuw Statendam! And you?

Erika

On 9/11/2024 at 10:58 AM, Fouremco said:

Or simply remove the lanyard from around your neck. We keep a magnetic hook on the wall just inside the cabin and hang our lanyards there. Very convenient and no need to look around for your card when leaving the cabin.

Over the years, I also have used magnetic hooks for our lanyards, but that wasn’t on Holland America. My concern for my upcoming cruise is that I’ve read in several places that the walls on HA are not magnetic. Which ships have you used them on?

On 9/13/2024 at 2:20 PM, Aew0431 said:

Hi Jim,

We live in Groningen, also in the Netherlands. Way up north. But now we are on the Nieuw Statendam! And you?

Erika

Hi, Erika,

We are near Seattle in the Northwest part of mainland U.S. We are about 1500 miles north of Los Angeles. It is the home of HAL in the U.S. Our next cruise is on Koningsdam in January 2025 round-trip to Hawaii from San Diego. 

Jim

43 minutes ago, FirstTeacher said:

Over the years, I also have used magnetic hooks for our lanyards, but that wasn’t on Holland America. My concern for my upcoming cruise is that I’ve read in several places that the walls on HA are not magnetic. Which ships have you used them on?

We've sailed on a wide variety of HAL ships, most recently the Nieuw Statendam, the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Koningsdam, and have yet to find one whose walls and ceiling wouldn't hold a magnetic hook. While we haven't sailed on every ship in the fleet, I'd be surprised if one of the ones we've missed was an exception. We use the hooks for a wide variety of purposes beyond hanging up our lanyards, as this small example from the Koningsdam demonstrates:

P1040353.thumb.jpeg.def8d67663f47b2db8fea82e792c03d8.jpeg

• Like 2