Grand vs. Crown

GeorgetteCruz

Hi, I was on the Grand a few years ago. We are looking at a cruise to Mexico this winter. Both Crown & Grand has same route & price. What are the main differences between these ships?

Do I stay with what I know (and enjoyed) or try something new?

Thanks!

after another look, Ruby also shows same route, same price!

Edited by GeorgetteCruz

Both ships have been nice to sail on. The Grand Princess is a little older, has less passengers, has Alfredo's pizza on Plaza deck 5. If I recall rightly there is an enclosed pool on the Lido deck as well as the open air pool. Skywalker's Lounge has been replaced by The One5 since we were last onboard.

Crown Princess has a whole extra deck: the Riviera deck, more people onboard. It also has Café Caribe, a slightly more upscale buffet. Last we were onboard, there was a nice mini-golf course.

I spite of the number of passenger difference, both ships have a similar feeling, and with rare exception the difference is not noticeable.

Hi, I was on the Grand a few years ago. We are looking at a cruise to Mexico this winter. Both Crown & Grand has same route & price. What are the main differences between these ships?

Do I stay with what I know (and enjoyed) or try something new?

Thanks!

after another look, Ruby also shows same route, same price!

Considering that all three ships share the same hull i would sail the one with 500 less passengers, the Grand Princess.

Mike:)

Very helpful information. So my husband & I are looking for some fun nightlife...sounds like Skywalkers is more so than the one5?

(Hubby is fairly new to USA and has been wanting to experience a "club," however we live in a small town...hence looking for something a little fun.

Although I like the thought of less people on Grand.

Are the Ruby & Crown pretty comparable?

Funny...as I'm typing this I get a call from a Princess cruise advisor! Oh my gosh, I LOVE vacation planning!

Very helpful information. So my husband & I are looking for some fun nightlife...sounds like Skywalkers is more so than the one5?

(Hubby is fairly new to USA and has been wanting to experience a "club," however we live in a small town...hence looking for something a little fun.

Funny...as I'm typing this I get a call from a Princess cruise advisor! Oh my gosh, I LOVE vacation planning!

The Crown and Ruby are the same other then the 4 aft balcony cabins on Riviera deck which are OV's on the Crown.

I would take the Ruby/Crown.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Crown has Sabatinis in a great location aft. (great views)

Adagio lounge right next to it.

Crown has Skywalkers.

I agree!!

If you like people, Lots of people, do the Crown.

I disagree, it has never felt crowded to me on the Crown, Ruby or Emerald (all 3 are mostly the same).

Skywalkers is a great space with some nice views.

The Ruby and Crown are sister ships almost the same. The Grand is the first Grand Class ship built in 1998.

Ruby/Crown:500 additional passengers, but they don't feel crowded. Larger Wheelhouse Bar. Nicer Sabatini's with Adagio Bar next door and outdoor seating area right outside. 5 outdoor pools with the Terrace and Lotus Pool being for adults. On the Lido deck Neptune's Reef is MUTS free, while Calypso Reef has MUTS. These 2 ships have Club Fusion on deck 7 aft, a venue where they run theme nights, dancing, trivia, bingo and other activities.

Grand: Calypso Reef is an indoor pool. Has Alfredo's. Sabatini's is smaller as is the Wheelhouse Bar. On deck 7 aft they have the Vista Lounge which is a show lounge where they have entertainments as well as other activities.

ClubOne5 and Skywalker's. While they are not the same views their purpose the same, late night bar and dancing to a DJ. They open around 10pm. During the day many use these areas for quite sitting and reading. If you are looking for late night "Clubbing" into the wee hours you most likely will not find it. These venues are fairly quite late at night, unless there is a big party group of passengers.

We were on both on the West Coast in the last year.

Indoor pool on the West Coast, Alfredo's, less people ... Grand.

But ... on the Crown:

We did like the almost real Skywalkers better ona One5.

We didn't really miss Alfredo's

With 21 days on the Crown ... we didn't find the extra people a big problem most of the time.

Good luck, hard to go too wrong either way.

We did like the Sapphire better than both :(

The Grand is my least favorite of all the Princess ships. I'd book the Crown any day of the week over the Grand if there was a choice. Unfortunately, the only option for the LA <> HI itinerary next year is on the Grand so I'm on her again.

I've been on the Crown several times and never felt the ship was crowded. Love the Adagio Lounge. One of my favorite spots on the ship.

The Grand is my least favorite of all the Princess ships. I'd book the Crown any day of the week over the Grand if there was a choice. Unfortunately, the only option for the LA <> HI itinerary next year is on the Grand so I'm on her again.

I've been on the Crown several times and never felt the ship was crowded. Love the Adagio Lounge. One of my favorite spots on the ship.

Pam,

Is it only the central staircase issue that causes you to say this or do you have other issues with the Grand as well?

Pam,

Is it only the central staircase issue that causes you to say this or do you have other issues with the Grand as well?

Nah... not the central staircase. Just that my cruise on the Grand was the worst in terms of customer service, waitstaff, cabin steward, etc. Everything was "off" on the cruise. For instance, one of the ports was Princess Cays and we got to where they were handing out tender tickets just after 9am. We didn't get on a tender until well after 10:30am and by then, PC was packed to the gills. There was no where so sit, no shade, etc. We walked around for about half an hour and went back on the ship. I have to believe that people were just going down to the tenders without a ticket and no one was paying any attention. The whole ship/cruise was poorly managed. This was years ago and I've avoided the Grand ever since. I'm sure it's better but I remain prejudiced. Edited by Pam in CA

Nah... not the central staircase. Just that my cruise on the Grand was the worst in terms of customer service, waitstaff, cabin steward, etc. Everything was "off" on the cruise. For instance, one of the ports was Princess Cays and we got to where they were handing out tender tickets just after 9am. We didn't get on a tender until well after 10:30am and by then, PC was packed to the gills. There was no where so sit, no shade, etc. We walked around for about half an hour and went back on the ship. I have to believe that people were just going down to the tenders without a ticket and no one was paying any attention. The whole ship/cruise was poorly managed. This was years ago and I've avoided the Grand ever since. I'm sure it's better but I remain prejudiced.

Pam,

We have been on the Grand three times this year (yes, I feel very fortunate!), and the customer service, waitstaff and steward were wonderful. I hope you have a great experience this time.

We have sailed on the Grand twice (one of those was for 28 days) and would not hesitate to be on the Grand again.

To use the two disadvantages are the lack of a center passenger staircase and the smaller closets in the cabins. Neither of these is a deal breaker to us and both were taken care of on the subsequent Grand class ships.

Crown has Sabatinis in a great location aft. (great views)

Adagio lounge right next to it.

Crown has Skywalkers.

If you like people, Lots of people, do the Crown.

I've three of my seven cruises on "Crown Class" ships. I've done one on a "Grand Class" Ship. I've also done two on the Sapphire/Diamond which do not consider either a Crown or Grand class. I won't go into my Royal cruise:D. As far as choosing between a Grand or Crown class ship, I'd have to go with the Crown Class. I know it has an extra deck with more people but I love the slightly expanded horizon court and the location of Sabatinis and Adagios. As far as crowds on the Crown ships, the only real lines I ever noticed were those for Anytime dining and the Captain's Circle cocktail party.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G