Best & Worst of Noordam 11 Day ex Barcelona 14 Aug

richardukcruise

I may discuss a few other good and bad points later, but wanted to highlight the best and worst points:

The Best:

Gluten Free Foods

Availability seems to be much better. We don't use the main restaurant so can't comment on that, however, the Lido and room service both seem to be more geared up. Even the burger bar offers gluten free buns, although when it arrived I am sure it was a gluten free English muffin.

The Worst:

Baggage Delivery (or not)

Embarkation was great. My partner’s checked baggage arrived at our stateroom 30 mins after boarding. I waited for mine, and waited, and waited.

At around 1400 I asked some of the porters and they said there was lots of luggage still ashore and being sorted onboard.

It got to 1800 and I was becoming concerned. We decided to go to Guest Relations where I heard another passenger asking the same as what I wanted to know, so we stepped aside from the queue and listened. The Guest Relations representative stated that the passenger should come back at around 1930 if the bag had not arrived.

At 1930, still no bag, so we returned to Guest Relations. I began speaking with a Guest Relations representative. Having explained the issue, there then followed a very bizarre few minutes of conversation upon her half. She firstly asked if in fact we had checked the bag in at all?! I mean….what?! I tried to be calm and stated that they had been checked in together shore side and tagged by a HAL rep herself.

I had heard previously at Guest Relations that they keep untagged/ripped off tag bags there, so I asked about them. She said that they did indeed have quite a number of bags of that type. I really don’t see why she didn’t simply say that up front and ask me to have a look?

As it turned out, these bags were around 10-15 feet away in a room beside Guest Relations. I asked if I could look at them. She said “What does it look like?” I did give a description but was there any need for that? If you see your bag, you can say so and get them to check an item for ID purposes, right?

She then commenced going through a whole set of questions: i.e. What colour is it? Is it hard of soft? etc etc. She then agreed to allow me to see the bags, like I say, all of around 10-15 feet away. My bag was not there. I asked what now? She then started saying things specifically such as “Have you got any contraband”, to which I said no. She then asked (and this is 100% word for word) “Do you have a knife?” I have to say my face must have been a picture. I replied “What do you mean, do I have a knife?!” I could not understand this very specific question. I was becoming irate by her attitude.

I was glancing around as the above was going on when I saw more bags on the other side of the Atrium at what became apparent to be the shore excursion desk. I asked her about those bags. She stated that they were bags that had been held for some reason by security. I said my polite goodbye and walked over to that area. I was getting no joy there.

Upon walking up to the area I saw my big immediately. I asked the gentleman on duty why my bag was there. It was still tagged. He said that it had been screened and was deemed suspicious. Fair enough. I asked suspicious for what reason? He did not know. He asked if I had wine. I said “No, but you can put some in for me if you like”. Just a quick and polite nod against the new wine policy there by the way. He also asked if I had an iron, which we did not of course. He asked if there was metal in there. I said there was a very small lightweight aluminium folding table. He said that they may have seen a suspicious item that could have been a gun! At this time the case was still locked. He asked me if I had any alcohol and when I said no they let me take it. No checks at all.

This resulted in a totally pointless delay of 7 hours in receiving my baggage.

More importantly, these "suspicious" items were not checked at all. That seriously bothers me. So, a bag is deemed suspicious, yet it is brought onto the ship, left for hours, with no attempt to contact the owner. Then when the owner arrives, nothing is checked. I don’t get any of that.

Another key point. He confirmed that my baggage had been sitting there for hours. Why couldn’t someone call the room and or leave a phone message? Just ridiculous. All day without my belongings, for NO REASON in the end. That's not even beginning to contemplate the potential security issue.

Phew, that was a long one. Needed to get that off my chest!:D

Edited by richardukcruise

I may discuss a few other good and bad points later, but wanted to highlight the best and worst points:

The Best:

Gluten Free Foods

Availability seems to be much better. We don't use the main restaurant so can't comment on that, however, the Lido and room service both seem to be more geared up. Even the burger bar offers gluten free buns, although when it arrived I am sure it was a gluten free English muffin.

The Worst:

Baggage Delivery (or not)

Embarkation was great. My partner’s checked baggage arrived at our stateroom 30 mins after boarding. I waited for mine, and waited, and waited.

At around 1400 I asked some of the porters and they said there was lots of luggage still ashore and being sorted onboard.

It got to 1800 and I was becoming concerned. We decided to go to Guest Relations where I heard another passenger asking the same as what I wanted to know, so we stepped aside from the queue and listened. The Guest Relations representative stated that the passenger should come back at around 1930 if the bag had not arrived.

At 1930, still no bag, so we returned to Guest Relations. I began speaking with a Guest Relations representative. Having explained the issue, there then followed a very bizarre few minutes of conversation upon her half. She firstly asked if in fact we had checked the bag in at all?! I mean….what?! I tried to be calm and stated that they had been checked in together shore side and tagged by a HAL rep herself.

I had heard previously at Guest Relations that they keep untagged/ripped off tag bags there, so I asked about them. She said that they did indeed have quite a number of bags of that type. I really don’t see why she didn’t simply say that up front and ask me to have a look?

As it turned out, these bags were around 10-15 feet away in a room beside Guest Relations. I asked if I could look at them. She said “What does it look like?” I did give a description but was there any need for that? If you see your bag, you can say so and get them to check an item for ID purposes, right?

She then commenced going through a whole set of questions: i.e. What colour is it? Is it hard of soft? etc etc. She then agreed to allow me to see the bags, like I say, all of around 10-15 feet away. My bag was not there. I asked what now? She then started saying things specifically such as “Have you got any contraband”, to which I said no. She then asked (and this is 100% word for word) “Do you have a knife?” I have to say my face must have been a picture. I replied “What do you mean, do I have a knife?!” I could not understand this very specific question. I was becoming irate by her attitude.

I was glancing around as the above was going on when I saw more bags on the other side of the Atrium at what became apparent to be the shore excursion desk. I asked her about those bags. She stated that they were bags that had been held for some reason by security. I said my polite goodbye and walked over to that area. I was getting no joy there.

Upon walking up to the area I saw my big immediately. I asked the gentleman on duty why my bag was there. It was still tagged. He said that it had been screened and was deemed suspicious. Fair enough. I asked suspicious for what reason? He did not know. He asked if I had wine. I said “No, but you can put some in for me if you like”. Just a quick and polite nod against the new wine policy there by the way. He also asked if I had an iron, which we did not of course. He asked if there was metal in there. I said there was a very small lightweight aluminium folding table. He said that they may have seen a suspicious item that could have been a gun! At this time the case was still locked. He asked me if I had any alcohol and when I said no they let me take it. No checks at all.

This resulted in a totally pointless delay of 7 hours in receiving my baggage.

More importantly, these "suspicious" items were not checked at all. That seriously bothers me. So, a bag is deemed suspicious, yet it is brought onto the ship, left for hours, with no attempt to contact the owner. Then when the owner arrives, nothing is checked. I don’t get any of that.

Another key point. He confirmed that my baggage had been sitting there for hours. Why couldn’t someone call the room and or leave a phone message? Just ridiculous. All day without my belongings, for NO REASON in the end. That's not even beginning to contemplate the potential security issue.

Phew, that was a long one. Needed to get that off my chest!:D

I could feel your frustration. Heck, I got frustrated myself just reading your story. It was so typical of the front desk's convoluted, quirky way of dealing with things. When you calmed down after that fiasco I hope you had an enjoyable cruise.

What a shame about your bag. I would have been frustrated too. In fact, I might have been more than that:D

Like you, what concerns me is that if there was a security issue, why didn't they check your bag before letting you take it? (unless they had already checked it and didn't want you to know that they just hadn't gotten around to calling?).

Such a shame. I hope that your cruise improved from there.

I think they train front office staff to be as unhelpful as possible.:mad: My dealings have always been frustrating, and something to be avoided. Like when your toilet is overflowing.... "are you sure? I'll send someone to take a look" as if my word cannot be trusted. Just send the darned plumber!

I think they train front office staff to be as unhelpful as possible.:mad: My dealings have always been frustrating, and something to be avoided. Like when your toilet is overflowing.... "are you sure? I'll send someone to take a look" as if my word cannot be trusted. Just send the darned plumber!

Ha ha! I agree totally Lizzie68!

OP-Like Sapper1 said, I got frustrated just reading what you went through too. It's another incident where it could have been handled much more smoothly for everyone but wasn't. I just don't get why the front office can not be more accommodating to their passengers. Getting ridiculous and not a pleasant way to start your cruise.

Sure hope the rest of your cruise went much better.

I am sure that part of your problem was that you brought a folding table w you on the cruise. Nobody brings a table w them and they probably could not figure out what it was. True - they would have called you to sort it out but your luggage would have eventually arrived.

DON

Oh My Gosh - I had a very similar experience on Noordam. I was on the cruise just before yours (we got off in Barcelona on August 14). Everyone in my group received their luggage within 30 minutes, but I waited and waited.

Made an inquiry at Front Desk, and was told they were still bringing luggage on board. Half hour later I walked into the Neptune Lounge, and the concierge said he would make inquiries. Meantime, lifeboat drills, etc. Then, right before sailing time the phone in the cabin rang, and it was the front desk saying my bag had been located and they would like to see me on Deck 1 mid-ship.

I got off the mid-elevator and was greeted by two security officers, who took me to a back room. My Neptune Lounge concierge was standing there with big round eyes, and they proceeded to tell me that my bag was suspicious and had been pulled aside for extra screening. It had not been opened, and I told them to go ahead and open it. They said no, but asked me if I was carrying a 'hot plate', as that was against the rules.

It took me a while to figure out what they were talking about. I had packed my favorite travel mug (because the glasses they serve ice tea in are much too small ;-). As soon as I said this, they said OK - never opened it to check, just took my word for it. SO, I think they have an over-zealous x-ray technician in training there.

It was a bit stressful for me to think we might sail and I would have no clothes for a 12-day cruise, but it turned out OK.

On the positive side, my Awesome Neptune Lounge Concierge Dan grabbed my bag and said, "Let me take your bag to your room Mrs. Susan". As we walked, I asked him to tell my friends I was being detained (hey, why should I have all the stress?). He looked puzzled, then grinned and said "OK!". BUT, something got lost in translation, because we walked into the room and he said, "I am very sorry but we must put Mrs. Susan in Quarantine!" Everyone just looked at me in shock, and Dan couldn't stand it and burst out laughing and said, "She made me do it!"

Anyway - you are not alone, as I got caught by the very same Bag Police. Glad yours turned up on time! Our trip was a blast, and we laughed every time I hauled out my 'hot plate' and went to fill it with ice tea . . .

Edited by Iggysue

Been there done that! My husband had his bag delayed, but they called us up quickly to have him come to front desk to get his bag. Feel your frustration big time! Hope after that you enjoyed your cruise experience.

3STAR MARINER becoming 4next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam B2B western/eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

What a shame about your bag. I would have been frustrated too. In fact, I might have been more than that:D

Like you, what concerns me is that if there was a security issue, why didn't they check your bag before letting you take it? (unless they had already checked it and didn't want you to know that they just hadn't gotten around to calling?).

Such a shame. I hope that your cruise improved from there.

Just to reiterate, my bag was locked with a padlock. No checks made.

I am sure that part of your problem was that you brought a folding table w you on the cruise. Nobody brings a table w them and they probably could not figure out what it was. True - they would have called you to sort it out but your luggage would have eventually arrived.

DON

Well, I'm not "nobody" and I did. Do you not realize that sometimes it pays to think outside the box in order to get what you want out of a situation. For times when we don't book a suite, we take this table for dinner on our balcony. It's allowed. Nothing wrong. Believe me I've done many many stranger things in my life than this. I call it living. Still doesn't alter the fact that they didn't check or advise they had held it.

Edited by richardukcruise

I have to wonder what is the matter with these people at the Front Desk.

They have a pile of bags with tags: they should deal with pax who come to the Front Desk in a problem-solving manner and sort things out as quickly and expediently as possible. That translates to good customer service.

They have no plan for this? A situation that apparently happens all the time?

I often wonder how HAL plans to deal with larger and larger ships. This is a perfect example of no planning, no one running the show.

Really disappointing to me to read these posts of poor customer service and poor attitude on the part of the front-line crew.

I have to wonder what is the matter with these people at the Front Desk.

They have a pile of bags with tags: they should deal with pax who come to the Front Desk in a problem-solving manner and sort things out as quickly and expediently as possible. That translates to good customer service.

They have no plan for this? A situation that apparently happens all the time?

I often wonder how HAL plans to deal with larger and larger ships. This is a perfect example of no planning, no one running the show.

Really disappointing to me to read these posts of poor customer service and poor attitude on the part of the front-line crew.

I agree, terrible customer service. I'm thinking that for future travel I will use my phone to take pictures of my suitcases (they're nice bright colors) so I can hold up my phone and say "It looks like this." That's a lot faster than the litany of questions the OP had to go through.

I don't understand why Security didn't try to contact the OP as soon as the problem was found. Bad service all around.

Just wondering: Will you travel again with a folding metal table in your luggage?

Great idea! I think I'll pack two for our upcoming Noordam cruise...to have on our balcony for dinner. I'll bring the two trays I bought in Barbados and we'll be good to go. Perfect for Formal Nights when we don't want to dress (dress up, that is).

Great idea! I think I'll pack two for our upcoming Noordam cruise...to have on our balcony for dinner. I'll bring the two trays I bought in Barbados and we'll be good to go. Perfect for Formal Nights when we don't want to dress (dress up, that is).

How much luggage will you take:D:eek:?

How much luggage will you take:D:eek:?

I could put one in the bottom of each of our suitcases. Leave it on the ship when we disembark (maybe the Room Stewards would like them :confused: ) and use the extra space for purchase in Spain.

I could put one in the bottom of each of our suitcases. Leave it on the ship when we disembark (maybe the Room Stewards would like them :confused: ) and use the extra space for purchase in Spain.

I guess they must be small. I'm thinking they were card table size for lack of a better word. I'd rather take clothes and since I only take one suitcase it makes it tough to keep to the 50 lbs for me.