Chunnel

lajems

We want to fly to Paris for a few days before we take our British Isle Cruise and we need to get from Paris to London. We are deciding whether to fly or to take the Chunnel. Can anyone tell us how difficult it would be to take the Chunnel with 2 large suitcases. Are there elevators available or do we have to carry our luggage up flights of stairs?

We did that a few years ago with 4 pieces of luggage. It was very doable . Just give yourself plenty of time because you have to go to customs on an upper floor. There are elevators . We also did Paris to London. There are cabs when you get to London. We also stayed in London a few days. ave a wonderful trip.

Cruiser Momma

It is actually easier to that the Chunnel then to fly, and usually faster. The Chunnel takes you downtown to downtown, avoids all the long waits and delays involved in flying, and saves you money that it costs to transfer to and from airports. Plus, the lower cost European airlines all have pretty tough luggage rules/fees.

There are luggage racks on the Eurostar Trains, so as long as you are capable of rolling your own luggage...you will be fine. Otherwise, there is also the capability of checking luggage although you do pay for this service and it is not cheap (about $25 per bag).

Hank

The Eurostar Paris to London is easier, less expensive, and involves less total travel time city to city. There might be a bit more handling of luggage than is involved in flying, but it is certainly doable as there are elevators at all stages.

In addition, the trip through the French countryside is a value in itself - the English leg is also good until you hit the built-up exurbs of London.

Chunnel train beats flying hands down.

As with any form of travel you might need to allow for delays - on my first trip, the train was blocked shortly after it emerged in France by French fishermen sitting on the tracks in protest of a new EU-imposed quota on catch ------- resulting in a couple of extra hours travel time.

We want to fly to Paris for a few days before we take our British Isle Cruise and we need to get from Paris to London. We are deciding whether to fly or to take the Chunnel. Can anyone tell us how difficult it would be to take the Chunnel with 2 large suitcases. Are there elevators available or do we have to carry our luggage up flights of stairs?

We did this in 2012. I am assuming that you mean taking the Eurostar high speed train from Gare du Nord to St Pancras station in London.

It is not hard at all to do this. There are areas inside the train and between trains to store your luggage. If you book early enough, you can get a rail fare of around $70 to $80 USD. I don't know why you would fly. It's expensive, requires getting to an airport (Gare du Nord is right in Paris) and doing the whole airport security thing. Those trains run every hour too.

We took a mid-day train, checked into our hotel in London, caught a show in the West End and then arranged airport transportation to Southampton with Smiths for Airports. I would do it again in a minute. In fact, we are doing a land vacation next summer in Paris and London and plan on flying to London, spending the weekend there and then taking the Eurostar to Paris and then flying home from Paris 4-5 days later. Should be fun.

channel + tunnel = chunnel. usually associated with the train from London to Paris... that travels UNDER the English channel... ;)

You will never hear people use that term here. I think the Chunnel was long abandoned attempt to create a Channel tunnel, not the current manifestation.

The train from London to Paris is called the Eurostar. I have never heard anyone use any different term for this service. It's the Eurostar, full stop.

If you want to drive through the Channel Tunnel, you take the Shuttle, although conversationally you will just say that you are getting to France via "the Tunnel".

If anyone asks how you are getting to Paris, there are four answers - fly, Eurostar, ferry or Tunnel. If you say Chunnel in polite society, no one will ever speak to you again :D

One other thing to be aware of when booking your train, we are an hour behind France. So although on the timetables it looks like it about 1hr 20mins Paris to London, its actually about 2 hrs 20mins. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but its caught people out before. Also, standard class is perfectly adequate for the trip. There are big baggage racks at either end of each carriage, but you can also get most sized bags in between seats. Loads of overhead racks for carry ons etc. You are allowed to bring your own food and drink on the train if you want to avoid exorbitant buffet car rates! This video will give you an idea of what its like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te8gENTsBl4

At about 3.30 you can see the luggage racks as they board the train. I would recommend you get a '2 facing 2' seat with a table between you rather than an airline style 'one behind the other' seat.

Have a good trip.

Simon

You will never hear people use that term here. I think the Chunnel was long abandoned attempt to create a Channel tunnel, not the current manifestation.

The train from London to Paris is called the Eurostar. I have never heard anyone use any different term for this service. It's the Eurostar, full stop.

If you want to drive through the Channel Tunnel, you take the Shuttle, although conversationally you will just say that you are getting to France via "the Tunnel".

If anyone asks how you are getting to Paris, there are four answers - fly, Eurostar, ferry or Tunnel. If you say Chunnel in polite society, no one will ever speak to you again :D

"Chunnel" is like nails on a chalkboard. Eurostar, ferry, or tunnel, as Amerryscot says. Or Channel tunnel. But please, not Chunnel. Eurgghhh.

"Chunnel" is like nails on a chalkboard. Eurostar, ferry, or tunnel, as Amerryscot says. Or Channel tunnel. But please, not Chunnel. Eurgghhh.

If you say ferry when you mean Channel Tunnel, you'll get some funny looks. And as a rule of thumb, using "Tunnel" will only be adequate if you have already made it clear you're crossing the Channel. "The Channel" is pretty much universal shorthand for the English Channel, but "The Tunnel" could be any of numerous tunnels throughout the British Isles.

Not sure what point you are trying to make as the term "Chunnel" is quite acceptable. In fact, to convince you here is a link:

http://chunnel.org.uk/

Hank

Chunnel was a portmanteau word dreamed up by the press before the proper names were decided.

EuroTunnel - strapline 'Le Shuttle' - are the car/lorry trains which run from Folkestone to Calais.

Eurostar are the passenger trains running to and from St. Pancras (London) to Paris (Gare du Nord and a few to Disneyland) and Brussels (Midi).

Apparently there are proposals to run through trains from St. Pancras to Cologne and other major European cities in the near future.

If you say ferry when you mean Channel Tunnel, you'll get some funny looks. And as a rule of thumb, using "Tunnel" will only be adequate if you have already made it clear you're crossing the Channel. "The Channel" is pretty much universal shorthand for the English Channel, but "The Tunnel" could be any of numerous tunnels throughout the British Isles.

So if I say I'm going to France via the tunnel, people will be confused as to which tunnel I mean? I have to give my friends and acquaintances more credit than that! :)

I think nowadays that 'The Tunnel' (note the emphasis/capital letters) would mean, to most Brits, the Channel Tunnel.

We live in London and our default option for traveling to the continent is Eurostar. For London to Paris/Brussels it is a no-brainer.

The proposed HS2 from the Midlands to London would have a sporting chance of being useful if it directly connected to HS1 (London to the Channel Tunnel). If they do not set up a straight through connection it is a pointless waste of money (but hey, what do I know - I am not a politician:rolleyes:)

A straight through HS rail connection from the North of England to the major cities of Europe, given the overcrowding of airspace and the limited lifetime of fossil fuels, seems to me to be a very desirable option. JMHO.

:p

Not sure what point you are trying to make as the term "Chunnel" is quite acceptable. In fact, to convince you here is a link:

http://chunnel.org.uk/

Hank

Interestingly, this text is at the bottom of that page: Chunnel.org.uk is for guidance and information purposes only. Chunnel.org.uk is not an official web site of any of the cross Channel operators.

The official site is Eurotunnel.com. I gave it a quick look, and didn't see "Chunnel" anywhere. :p

Edited by lisiamc

:p

Interestingly, this text is at the bottom of that page: Chunnel.org.uk is for guidance and information purposes only. Chunnel.org.uk is not an official web site of any of the cross Channel operators.

The official site is Eurotunnel.com. I gave it a quick look, and didn't see "Chunnel" anywhere. :p

The official name of my state is "The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" but I doubt if anyone would ever respond with that name if you asked where they live :).

Hank

The official name of my state is "The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" but I doubt if anyone would ever respond with that name if you asked where they live :).

Hank

While Chunnel might be acceptable, how do you know if someone means car train or passenger train? Your state analogy isn't confusing at all.