POM to FLL - 11:30am departure, will we make it?

vllygrrl

We have 2 flight options going home on a Saturday. Our cruise gets into POM on a Saturday morning at 8. We have priority disembarcation. DH wants to book a flight at 11:30am, whereas I'd be more comfortable taking the 4pm flight, even if that means sitting in the airport all day. Is an 11:30 flight doable?

It's certainly possible that you would make it but with any type of delay there is a very good chance of not making it.

My personal preference would be the 4pm flight...in fact I have a 3pm flight from FLL after disembarking at PE.

There is more to do than sit around at the airport as well. We plan to cab it to FLL, check our luggage curbside and then grab a cab to Las Olas for a few hours. Browse some stores, have lunch, etc.

We have 2 flight options going home on a Saturday. Our cruise gets into POM on a Saturday morning at 8. We have priority disembarcation. DH wants to book a flight at 11:30am, whereas I'd be more comfortable taking the 4pm flight, even if that means sitting in the airport all day. Is an 11:30 flight doable?

Don't sit in the airport! Take the 4 pm flight and go on a cruise line excursion (Everglades air boat ride is popular) that will drop you off at FLL in the early afternoon.

Edited by capriccio

I wouldn't make the last day stressful by booking the early flight. Instead, have a nice leisurely breakfast, a no hurry debarkation, then no hurry shuttle up to FLL. You should really be at the airport by 2:30 (my opinion). So you shouldn't have more than about 3 more than necessary, if you don't hurry up there.

I'm going to disagree - book it! I do it all the time and have never once had any issues - I wouldn't hesitate- book your transportation from POM to FLL ahead of time and you will be fine!!!

It's certainly possible that you would make it but with any type of delay there is a very good chance of not making it.

My personal preference would be the 4pm flight...in fact I have a 3pm flight from FLL after disembarking at PE.

There is more to do than sit around at the airport as well. We plan to cab it to FLL, check our luggage curbside and then grab a cab to Las Olas for a few hours. Browse some stores, have lunch, etc.

I thought they wouldn't let you check your luggage unless you are within 2 hours of your flight.

I thought they wouldn't let you check your luggage unless you are within 2 hours of your flight.

I've read that many times before but we've done this the last few years at both JetBlue in FLL and AA in MIA and have never had a problem. The flights were between 3:00-3:30pm.

Edited by aurelius180

• 2 months later...
go for it we got to FLL from Mia in 30 minutes

Same here..... on another thread someone posted it took them 3 hours in traffic. I honestly had not taken into consideration weekday traffic at 8 a.m.

My thought was self disembark, off the ship and in the shuttle by 8:00 a.m. and to the airport by 9:00 at the latest, which is still 2 hours before flight departs :D

This is a two month old thread so the flights have been booked but based on the last couple of posts that resurrected this thread I will throw in my two cents. Well, maybe a nickels worth of comments. LOL.

When people ask what time to book a flight for Miami when you get off at Miami many of us say Noon. Can you get there sooner for a flight? Maybe. But things happen and that includes ship arriving late, getting delayed through customs/immigration, being the one that customs asks to go through all of your luggage, not being able to find all your luggage, etc.

And then you do have to get in this case from Miami to Fort Lauderdale.

To me it's no different than should you fly in the day of the cruise. I don't recommend it. Do some do it? Yes. But history means nothing because if it is you who gets delayed it doesn't matter that someone else didn't on their voyage.

So, can you make a 11:30 AM flight? Possibly. Maybe even likely. For sure? No.

If you do not like stress (I don't) take the later flight).

I have been on too many cruises where people spend part of the cruise worrying about this. I have also been on cruises where you would not have made the Noon flight. I've seen people screaming.

Only you can decide.

Keith

I'm going to disagree - book it! I do it all the time and have never once had any issues - I wouldn't hesitate- book your transportation from POM to FLL ahead of time and you will be fine!!!

What company would you recommend to call? We have the same issue the boat docks at 8:00 am in Miami and our flight is at 12:06 from FLL.

• 2 months later...

I will be writing a full review later, but wanted to let everyone know that we just self-disembarked off the Victory on Thursday. Self-Disembarkation began at 8:15 for Platinum & FTTF. We were off ship, through customs and at the curb by 8:30 a.m. where QLS Transportation was waiting. We arrived Fort Lauderdale Airport in less than 30 minutes and were through TSA by 9:30 a.m. We will definitely do this route again!

NOTE: Traffic going the other direction was horrendous! We would never do this if going from Port of Fort Lauderdale to MIA.