Emerald crew dealing with fire incident

LidoLiz

On Emerald now....we have just been awoken by an announcement from the captain. The entire crew has been mustered following what was first reported as a technical incident. Now we are being told "the fire is out" in the engine room.

Captain says the crew will remain mustered. He just added we are resuming normal speed.

It's just around midnight here, we are about seven hours south of Southampton.

LidoLiz

Internet connection is very spotty.... Will try to summarize.

Bell just rang again...Captain is standing down crew, thanks them for great job. Chief Engineer says things are looking good and we will proceed to Gibraltar. He apologizes for disruption during middle of night, and says "please go back to sleep."

Not likely, for a bit. Sea is calm, the passengers maybe not so much.

I've been of a couple of cruises where something similar has happened. It's especially unsettling when it happens during the night and one is awakened from their sleep with an announcement of that nature.

I hope you will be able to get back to sleep soon, the rest of your night is peaceful.

I've been of a couple of cruises where something similar has happened. It's especially unsettling when it happens during the night and one is awakened from their sleep with an announcement of that nature.

I hope you will be able to get back to sleep soon, the rest of your night is peaceful.

Agreed, and thanks. We've sailed with Captain Forteze before and know he is extremely safety conscious. While it's late, I think most will appreciate his multiple announcements, even though the bells were quite disconcerting!

So glad all is well for everyone. Always a scary thing to have happen - especially that late at night.

On my last cruise there was an incinerator fire first thing in morning. I was in the shower and had to turn the water off to listen to the captain emergency announcement. Needless to say I was jumping out of shower rather quickly as we were told to stand by for further instructions and for all crew to muster to their stations.

Thankfully it was extinguished quickly and we were able to continue on with our day. All I could think of was how grateful I was that we were already docked for the morning and would not have had far to go if we needed to evacuate.

times like these, I hope everyone paid attention at the muster drill.

how scary for the crew. I bet it will be a while until they can get back to sleep too!

once your heart has slowed, I hope you have a good night's sleep. zzzzzzzzzz

As if the pax would be able to go back to sleep after an announcement like that. Glad to hear tho that things are getting back to normal.

Edited by Treven

Hi All

Good to hear all worked out safely, if you cruise enough, you will hear the call, for fire crews, normally nothing to worry about, but every now and again it can be more serious, have been on ships were passenger set fire to her cabin, were crew smoking tripped alarms, the ships monitoring systems are first class the slightest increase in room temp can set then alarm on the bridge off.

yours Shogun

times like these, I hope everyone paid attention at the muster drill.

This always concerns us as we watch folks during the muster drill, that they aren't paying attention ( just like airline safety information prior to takeoff) and when the time comes......they have no clue.

Thankfully, the crew goes through extensive and frequent drills to handle things when they occur.

Glad this incident was minor and eliminated quickly.....now back to sleep!