Emerald crew dealing with fire incident

LidoLiz

We had a similar sort of incident at 3:00 am on the Ruby last month. We were all awakened from sound sleep to captain's announcement in our rooms, then peered out into the hallways to see if we needed to do anything, because we weren't sure what we had heard. Crew hurried by and told us it was crew only. Captain told us a few minutes later all was well. Needless to say, took a while to go back to sleep.

I am on the same boat at the moment and there has been another fire in the engine room today.

Needless to say its gotten me shaken up. Twice in one trip on my first cruise.

Tempted to get off when we reach Italy and cut my holiday short.

I've asked customer services for more info to put my mind at rest and am still awaiting a call from them to my room with more info. 4 hours after requesting it!!

Edited by NMay

We are set to sail on 9/30 also. Hope everything will be OK by the time we get on the ship.

Please keep us informed on this forum.

We hope your cruise will go on as planned and you don't miss any of your ports. Arlene:eek:

Hi Arlene,

It's true...two engine fires on one cruise! And our embarkation was initially delayed due to a coast guard inspection, which makes me wonder if these incidents are related. The captain apologized for the fires but said the cause was beyond his control. :rolleyes:One of our fellow passengers said she was so upset by the volumes of black smoke coming out of the funnel that she put on her life jacket!

We await to see what will happen tomorrow....but we are not too concerned at this point.

Was your embarkation delayed due to an inspection at Southampton because that would be just a coincidence because nobody hopefully :eek: would know in advance of two engine room fires days later. You will always get somebody panicking and making the situation sound worse than it was with regards to smoke out of funnel. Hoping, but have to admit slightly concerned, as we are due to sail on her and hope everything is OK for the current cruise and for us on the 30th.

Sailed from Southampton a couple of years ago on Caribbean Princess & the authorities delayed departure for 24 hours due to a problem with a bilge pump - same Captain(Jonah) as on next sailing:eek::eek:.

BTW English is not his first language and he could not be understood, so much so that after an announcement, a staff member who was fluent and articulate in the English Language had to restate what he had just tried to say. Not looking good.

Hi Arlene,

It's true...two engine fires on one cruise! And our embarkation was initially delayed due to a coast guard inspection, which makes me wonder if these incidents are related. The captain apologized for the fires but said the cause was beyond his control. :rolleyes:One of our fellow passengers said she was so upset by the volumes of black smoke coming out of the funnel that she put on her life jacket!

We await to see what will happen tomorrow....but we are not too concerned at this point.

Thanks Lisa for the update...we are leaving tomorrow for Germany before our cruise. I will be checking here for any news you have to tell us. Hopefully it's all in the past and you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. Have a great time!!

Arlene;)

Sailed from Southampton a couple of years ago on Caribbean Princess & the authorities delayed departure for 24 hours due to a problem with a bilge pump - same Captain(Jonah) as on next sailing:eek::eek:.

BTW English is not his first language and he could not be understood, so much so that after an announcement, a staff member who was fluent and articulate in the English Language had to restate what he had just tried to say. Not looking good.

Fail to see why your comment means it is not looking good any Captain must be able to communicate with any port authorities and all cruise ships wherever they dock be it for turnaround or just port call are open to on the spot inspections and if anything is found it has to be sorted or wont be able to leave the port. I fail to see the connection to 2 engine fires, hopefully small ones, and a bilge pump failing 2yrs ago on a different ship or are you just scaremongering.

Not looking good.

I don't understand 'not looking good'.

If the problem were very serious, the current cruise would

be immediately terminated.

The first couple posts say the ship is proceeding at normal speed to

the next port - Gibralter.

Otherwise, I don't think anyone posting here has enough details

of the situation to tell -- what the problem is -- what needs to

be done to fix it -- and whether it will impact the next sailing.

Edited by pablo222

As someone currently on the boat I can tell u that it has happened twice and has got some people myself included a little anxious. However we have been told it is under control.

We are currently docked in Ajaccio Corsica and not due to leave for a few hours. Who knows maybe they've spent today fixing it or it was already fixed. I've not been able to get more info out of the crew yet but am continuing to try.

I personally won't remain on the boat if it happens a third time and I'm not given some serious info about what's happening. Fingers crossed it is in fact all sorted now and we can all continue to enjoy our holidays without further incidence.

I will update this thread with more info when I have it to let those sailing on it soon know the latest.

Hi There

Was on the Crown a few years ago we had a couple of fire issues passengers did not even get told it was a senior officer that we knew gave us details, we had heard the alarm call for crew to attend, but that was all no info from Captain.

If there is the slightest chance of the ship not being safe no Captain will leave port,

Accidents do happen, fires in engine rooms do happen.

Booked on Emerald in a few months, but would be happy to join her now.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Fail to see why your comment means it is not looking good any Captain must be able to communicate with any port authorities and all cruise ships wherever they dock be it for turnaround or just port call are open to on the spot inspections and if anything is found it has to be sorted or wont be able to leave the port. I fail to see the connection to 2 engine fires, hopefully small ones, and a bilge pump failing 2yrs ago on a different ship or are you just scaremongering.

So long as he can say, in unequivocal tones "abandon ship" you should be ok.

As someone currently on the boat I can tell u that it has happened twice and has got some people myself included a little anxious. However we have been told it is under control.

We are currently docked in Ajaccio Corsica and not due to leave for a few hours. Who knows maybe they've spent today fixing it or it was already fixed. I've not been able to get more info out of the crew yet but am continuing to try.

I personally won't remain on the boat if it happens a third time and I'm not given some serious info about what's happening. Fingers crossed it is in fact all sorted now and we can all continue to enjoy our holidays without further incidence.

I will update this thread with more info when I have it to let those sailing on it soon know the latest.

Keep calm and Carry on....

We're docked in Rome right now, and everything is fine....on course for Florence tomorrow. Everybody seems a bit more relaxed. The captain made an announcement at dinner time last night apologizing again. I had a hard time understanding him, but I believe he said the first incident had something to do with oil coming into contact with a hot surface, and the second incident involved paint (?) it was hard to hear him in the dining room, but everybody applauded when he finished. :rolleyes:

Just to add to what Liz said.

The captain made an announcement and explained the first fire was a technical fault which caused a very small fire and basically only damaged paint work.

The second wasn't actually a fire and instead was just smoke caused from oil hitting a hot surface and causing smoke.

He apologised again and said everything is under control and not to worry.

No explanation as to what the technical fault was for the fire or why random oil was landing on a hot surface but everyone seems a bit more relaxed as Liz has said.

The captain ended by saying he sees no reason why anything further should occur.

These issues never impacted the speed or performance of the ship from what we've been told.

Oil on a hot surface is actually quite common, its only rare it produces enough smoke to warrant a response. There are a lot of fluids and hot surfaces in those areas, and not a lot of room to move, so small spills happen all the time.

Just to add to what Liz said.

The captain made an announcement and explained the first fire was a technical fault which caused a very small fire and basically only damaged paint work.

The second wasn't actually a fire and instead was just smoke caused from oil hitting a hot surface and causing smoke.

He apologised again and said everything is under control and not to worry.

No explanation as to what the technical fault was for the fire or why random oil was landing on a hot surface but everyone seems a bit more relaxed as Liz has said.

The captain ended by saying he sees no reason why anything further should occur.

These issues never impacted the speed or performance of the ship from what we've been told.

Hi All

Good to hear all is well

However

Is this a case of too much information,

In the good old days we were not told anything,

Today we know a lot more about what goes on,

But we also know stuff in real time.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app