favorite thing

esimon

Our FAVORITE thing on HAL ships is the CREW!!!! So many Indonesian folks have become friends that we WANT to cruise again. Same with Philippino cruise members -and the LOVELY people from Holland or GB.......OPENING up our WORLD.

A favorite destination has always been Asia or Australia...or BOTH. Again; NEW adventures! For us -that is what cruising is all about......

So many favorites---can't limit it to just one:

--stepping onto the ship on the first day

--hearing the crew say "Welcome Home!"

--dinner in the MDR every evening,hearing everyone's adventures of the day

--"exploring" the ship

--just watching the ocean, agree with Scrapnana--it never gets boring!

On the ship, our main objection is total relaxation. On sea days, we do next to nothing. Mostly relaxing, having drinks by the pool, maybe napping, but mostly just chill somewhere and watch the water go by.

In ports, it varies greatly with the location. We do enjoy going to beaches in the Caribbean, checking out local history and architecture in other areas, shopping for unique things and just walking around. We generally don't participate in any shore excursions, but tend to do research on our own ahead of time and do our own thing. We definitely prefer to be off the beaten path.

Impossible to pick just one, but up high on the list is appetizers and a glass of wine on the balcony in the afternoon. Also walking laps around the deck -- the rougher seas the better. :D

In port I like to explore local historical sites, maybe a tour, but we like to do it on our own too. Maybe rent a car, take local transportation -- for us we feel more like we were "there" when we aren't on a tour.

Favorite thing aboard ship: At night, sitting in the dark on the veranda, listening to the sounds of the ocean as the ship sails through the sea, and marveling at the beauty of the heavens!

Favorite activities in a port: Visiting historical attractions and museums; people watching.

One of our favorite things to do on board is to go for a nice walk on the promenade after dinner, stopping every now and then to stare out to sea and look up at the stars if there happen to be clear skies. I feel like the calories from the dinner that I just ate disappear into the night sky!

Watching the sea from a deck chair on Promenade deck, seeing the flying fish or birds during the day... seeing lights on shore, lighthouses or other ships passing in the night. I almost always bring a book but then I tell myself I can read at home! I can't watch the sea from home....

m--

Daytime (at sea): sitting on a lounger on the promenade, reading, watching the sea & sky, and chatting with friends who stop by while on their walks.

Daytime (in port): taking a tour that brings me to interesting places, and teaches me something about the culture of the place.

Evening: enjoying a good entertainer in the piano bar.

Nighttime: getting the best possible sleep on a gently rocking ship.

My favourite thing on ship is dining on the balcony. I love having breakfast on the balcony. It's the one thing that I look forward to the most. On our last cruise, we ordered dinner on our balcony from the MDR via room service. That was also a very enjoyable experience and we will definitely be doing it more often.