Customs Declaration Question

Cornus

I returned to NYC yesterday via ship, filled out the Customs Declaration card, and when I presented my passport and this card to the agent, he stamped both and gave BOTH of them back to me. I told him that I thought he was supposed to keep the card, but he mumbled something about turning it in closer to the exit. I found no place to turn this in...is this a new policy? Or might this agent be new and not know that he is supposed to keep this card?

I called the passport office to ask this question and was referred to the Customs and Border Control office. However, after spending more than ten minutes listening to their never-ending menu and unable to speak to a real person, I finally gave up...thought I might find an answer here. TIA

When I returned from Europe to Chicago last year, the customs agents at O'Hare did not take my declaration form. When I returned through Detroit a couple of months ago, they did. I actually kept the Chicago form for awhile in case they called me asking about it! No idea why they didn't take it in Chicago.

It's a two step procedure at San Pedro in calif.

In Long Beach (they use CBP from the same office as San Pedro) it can either be a one or two step process. Either give the form as you exit or the CBP officer keeps it when s/he is done with your passport. A few cruises we didn't go thru passport control at all, they just took our forms practically as we got off the ship.

We just returned from Peru yesterday direct flight to Dallas. For US & Canadian citizens, No customs/immigration forms to fill out. You just go to a little kiosk, insert your passport, your name comes up immediately, then it takes your picture, you answer a few questions (no food, no plants, etc.), then it prints out a receipt with your picture on it. You pick up your luggage and give it to the official as you exit. Probably will be in all international airports eventually. There were lots of kiosks and no long lines as most of the passengers coming in weren't US citizens. Non-US had to go through an Immigration official.

We just returned from Peru yesterday direct flight to Dallas. For US & Canadian citizens, No customs/immigration forms to fill out. You just go to a little kiosk, insert your passport, your name comes up immediately, then it takes your picture, you answer a few questions (no food, no plants, etc.), then it prints out a receipt with your picture on it.

You take the receipt and your passport to the nearest immigration officer. No extra questioning there, just welcome back. It's called global entry and we interviewed and paid for it about a year ago.

You take the receipt and your passport to the nearest immigration officer. No extra questioning there, just welcome back. It's called global entry and we interviewed and paid for it about a year ago.

They also have a new ABC system not Global entry where you insert your passport & answer the questions etc..

get your receipt & head to the Border services officer......no fee required

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/release-communique/2013/2013-02-08-eng.html

Edited by LHT28

The kiosk passport scanning technology has been around for some time now. YVR has had it up and running for US bound passengers for some 18 months now and LAX installed it about a week a go. It really is slick and saves a lot of time and manpower.

The kiosk passport scanning technology has been around for some time now. YVR has had it up and running for US bound passengers for some 18 months now and LAX installed it about a week a go. It really is slick and saves a lot of time and manpower.

That sounds like a great system. Very efficient. Kudos to them implementing this.

Do the questions include: How much did you spend outside the country? How much liquor or cigarettes are you importing?

Toronto has it for returning Canadians as well

That sounds like a great system. Very efficient. Kudos to them implementing this.

Do the questions include: How much did you spend outside the country? How much liquor or cigarettes are you importing?

It has been a very months since I used it last but yes, how long have you been out of the country is one question. As I recall, the personal exemption question is a little more generic .... more along the lines of "are you bring back goods that exceed your personal exemption limit".

Here is a link to the program and technology:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/innovativetravelsolutions/automatedpassportcontrol/aboutapc.aspx

I would start a new thread but CC is only giving me the search engine when I click on the 'button' :o

I'm doing a B2B. First cruise will be with DH. Second cruise will be with Mom.

How do we handle the Customs form? If he goes ahead of me I won't have/need a form to fill out At worst he can wait for me with all the other B2B pax.

On Princess out of San Pedro.

I rarely cruise but frequently travel abroad by plane. I almost never fill out a customs form since I have global entry, but two weeks ago I was with my wife who doesn't have GE and we went through immigration and customs together. They did not take our customs form, which was a first to me.

We don't have global entry. Have thought about getting it tho. Looks like we might not need it as this new system is installed at more and more airports. It's great.....and free! :)

I would start a new thread but CC is only giving me the search engine when I click on the 'button' :o

I'm doing a B2B. First cruise will be with DH. Second cruise will be with Mom.

How do we handle the Customs form? If he goes ahead of me I won't have/need a form to fill out At worst he can wait for me with all the other B2B pax.

On Princess out of San Pedro.

This is interesting question and I'm not qualified to answer. You will need to consult a CBP source.

However, you need to keep in mind you are permitted to take the personal exemption only once in 30 days. If your Mom doesn't live in your home, I don't think you can combine your exemption with her. You both likely would fill out a separate declaration as would your DH when he leaves the ship without you.