Diet advice

joiedevivre

:eek:We just returned from a b2b cruise in Europe and no matter how hard I try , I always put on 6-8 lbs. Does anyone have a system not to gain wait and do you stick to it once on board? Presently working hard on the extra weight gained on the previous cruise and more ....till my next cruise in Nov.

We use a few strategies... Skip buffets whenever possible - if there is no other choice, then limit the number of trips. In the MDR we mix in some of the Canyon Ranch Spa selections as certain courses. Try to eat seafood - avoid fried stuff, sauces and dressings on the side. We love O's sugar free ice cream- there is a new flavor every day; or check out the sugar-free dessert choice daily. We bend the rules quite often, but make "deals" with ourselves - indulge in one thing, forego something else. I know it sounds kind of killjoy, but this is a matter of health for us, not vanity. I try to take the stairs whenever I can. The most I ever gained on an O trip is 4 pounds. My DH has iron willpower and has actually list a pound or two on most cruises!!

Not trying to be preachy, just honestly what we try to do.

Donna

It's very tough, and takes huge determination. I just returned from a 16 day trip, including a ten day cruise, and I managed to hold it down to 3 pounds. As the cruise went on, my determination waned and I started adding croissants, butter, desserts and foie gras. And fancy alcoholic drinks as well.

But, sticking to any type of "wellness menu" should help. I don't believe Regent has a "no salt added" section, but limiting salt intake in any way you can might help as well.

The most reliable method, unfortunately, is to avoid cruising! :cool:

I have lox and only egg whites for breakfast and maybe a piece of fruit. Then I stay only on proteins, like fish and chicken during the day and at night. I once in a while have a baked potatoe but other than that, just proteins. I try to eat the same on the ship as I do at home. I know it is hard. I walk up every day to see what goodie they have on the buffet in the hot warmer. I just look..don't eat. We cruise 3 to 4 times a year, long cruises, so if I don't do this I will be like a huge flower pot! LOL.

We did b2b cruises 2 years ago and I came back after a month away 1.5 kg (3.3lbs) lighter. My husband came back the same weight.

I was strict and stayed away from “White Carbs” (Potato, Bread, Rice, Pasta) and what we call “Beige Food” – which refers to any thing crumbed and or deep-fried.

We found this very easy to do with the fabulous selection of fresh food on the Marina. Eg: Breakfast – might be 1 egg, 1 piece of crispy bacon and a slice of fruit. Lunch - would be a nice salad (dressing on the side) or my husband and I would share an antipasto plate depending on the port. Dinner –I would have 2 appetizers only and no bread. If my husband had a dessert we might ask for 2 spoons. I was not drinking alcohol but did have 1-2 non-alcoholic cocktails a day and my morning skinny café latte at the barista.

I was never hungry and did treat myself daily with ice-cream or local delicacies like Baklava and Turkish delight in Turkey, charred Octopus in Greece, tapas in Spain etc, but we would just have taste and not a whole box or plate full.

We walked miles and miles every day.

WE do not eat a big lunch & at dinner only have 3 courses

the big problem is afternoon tea, ice cream, milkshakes & other sweets

Last cruise I gained 6 lbs but after a week back on my routine it came off

I ask for the low sodium diet & drink plenty of water

I did have a foo foo drink last cruise but normally just a glass of wine every so often

I have no self control where desserts are concerned so I do try to limit them to 1 per meal ;)

I generally lose 3 to 4 pounds on a typical 12 day cruise. First of all, I walk a lot more than I do at home -- up to 5 miles or so on port days. But, primarily, I follow the advice of esteemed cruiser JanCruz, who told me, "Always leave something on the plate."

We were so port intensive walking 10,000 to sometimes 20,000 steps a day...sometimes we skipped lunch due to being in port and trying to see everything...I pretty much ate what I wanted tho including several stops for gelato in port and came home the same weight:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I try to skip the bread, but usually break my rules one or two days. I also avoid tea time except for one time a cruise. I also try to eat more veggies without sauce and quite often make a meal of sashimi at the buffet rather than eating in a dining room for dinner. Since I have a nut allergy, fortunately for me, most desserts cannot be eaten.:D

Drink water! Drink a glass before your meal and another with your meal. Helps to satisfy and it helps to keep water retention down. Compression socks help this too. I know all the tricks of diet and I know all the information on nutrition and healthy eating. I just have a few problems with application of knowledge. Somehow it becomes fatter hips instead of fatter (more knowledgeable and controlled) Will power.

Oh! having a Dr's appointment a week after the cruise ends and knowing that dreaded 5 pound heavier scale is in your near future can hit the brain cell for at least a nanosecond. As the sheep said " Ewe's not fat --Ewe's just fluffy!"

If we were going on a 6 month, round the world cruise our outlook might be different, but we tend to view cruises as a vacation and eat whatever we want. We stay on diets between cruises. The food is a big part of the cruise for us and to limit or deny things that we would enjoy defeats the purpose of going.

The biggest problem with this way of thinking is that by the first of the year we'll have been on about 7 or 8 cruises in the past 12 months. Normal has been 1 or 2 a year.

The above are very good tips. But the reality is we are on vacation. The nonstop presence of appealing food, alcohol and sweets is everywhere. Self-control is very hard.

Personally, we refuse the bread basket and ask the butter dish be removed as soon as we are seated. Drinking a glass of water when you are seated helps avoid ingesting hundreds of calories. We are bored, all of us impatiently anticipating the arrival of our appetizers and instinctively start buttering up those delicious salted rolls.

Go easy on sodas and limit booze. I go gaga on wine but I say screw it, I'm enjoying my vacation so I have it every day throughout the day. If you like tea time, stick with tea - avoid the delicious cakes and mouth watering sandwiches paraded about Horizon. At least you have to try.

I learned to stay away from the buffet at lunch and dinner. I can't stop putting so many appealing things on my plate. I know that's my weakness so I avoid the area. In the dining room, you do get portion control...and are not confronted with an eye popping array of tempting selections that beckon you to grab more and move down the line.

For me, the best advice here is to eat more proteins & cut carbs and fried foods. Seafood, meats - without sauces, preferably grilled - served with a basket of steamed veg are great choices. One day per week I have mostly protein all day - egg white omelet in the morning, grilled chicken at lunch, dinner is salmon. The key is to feel sated, full, and at the same time to severely limit refined carbs (sandwiches, potato salad, waffles) which trigger an insatiable lust for more and more food all day long.

This means cutting back on pasta, cereal, potato and toast. Totally avoid rice, chips, fried beans, rich deserts. I love soup but O typically has heavily salted or cream based ones that cause water retention and mucho calories.

Bottom line: you can have an enjoyable cruise, feel full on a wide variety of meal choices every day...but avoid gaining weight and becoming so depressed when you return home.

This is a post I wrote for another board, but you may find it helpful:

Here's how I stick to my usual healthy habits while cruising:

- Book a cabin as far away from the elevators as possible

- Take the stairs as much as possible

- When in port walk, walk, walk

- When on a sea day walk the ship or get in at least 30 minutes in the gym

- Keep breakfast light, or at least the same as you would eat at home. I tend to go heavy on fresh fruit, maybe a poached egg a couple times during a week, and once in the cruise I splurge on kippers or corned beef hash

- At lunch DH likes the buffet so I fill up at least half my plate with fresh green salad with vegetable toppings and a little olive oil & vinegar, salt & pepper, then take a small portion of something else that appeals to me like curry or pizza.

- Limit snacking (I'm not a snacker at home either). If you must snack in the late afternoon sushi is a good option, but keep it to a couple of pieces.

- For dinner start with a green salad, dressing on the side, or a light (broth) soup. I admittedly splurge on escargot on occasion. Order what you feel like as a main, but if you're getting full leave some on your plate. Fish or lean meats are typically going to be your lowest calorie and fat options, provided they're not drenched in sauce. Ask for a side order of stramed veggies. For dessert opt for sorbet, or just a few bites of something more decadent.

I went on three cruises while on Weight Watchers and following the above I still managed to lose weight while vacationing. Good luck!!

Diet before you cruise. Then you can indulge on the cruise without guilt. Why punish yourself while you're vacationing?

Ah, yes, you are right of course. Unless it is a matter of health. I refuse to look on my diet as punishment - it is my necessary way of life --- and have no complaints when I can get such wonderful, quality, tasty and healthy meals on O! Please remember that for some of us this is not a question of vanity - but life and death. (Sorry for the drama, but you catch my drift!)

As my doc likes to note, there are no days off from diabetes.... or heart disease... or high blood pressure.... or whatever your conundrum might be.

I love living vicariously through folks who can eat whatever they darn well please. I am not jealous - I had my days. So I do not begrudge those who can eat up! And yes, I allow myself an indulgence or so on the trip also....

;-)

Lots of good advice here. It's a constant struggle if you love good food but don't want to be overweight. We managed to maintain our weight while on Riviera earlier this year, but then it was only a 10 day cruise. We ate sparingly at breakfast (porridge or boiled eggs, maybe some fruit), were 'good' at lunchtime (no white carbs) and ate (and drank) whatever we liked in the evening. We did the gym most days, and did more walking that we would at home. We went to one afternoon tea at Horizons just to experience it, but after that stayed away for fear of our self control slipping! I have to say that it wasn't really a hardship as there were many healthy and delicious choices at all mealtimes.

That is actually funny in a morbid way. On our O cruise this spring, an elderly gent never got off the ship. Stayed onboard 24/7, ate & drank throughout the day all voyage long without a giving a crap about weight gain or diabetic restrictions.

He had to undergo major surgery for spreading cancer just after our cruise ended. His reasoning was he'd whoop it up big time and get his money's worth, then worry about the results of the operation. Seemed to be having a great time.

Advice (as if we could ever follow all our own advice !):

- Use the stairs.

- Avoid cream soups and food with cream sauces.

- If you have scones and clotted cream at the tea, skip supper.

- Explore the ship every day. Check out all decks.

- If you don't like something, leave it.

- Ask for low sodium.

- Eat fruits and/or vegetables when possible, as part of every meal.

- Walk off the ship and do your own tours.

- If you take paid tours, take the ones that involve walking.

- Don't order room service.

- Dance.

Ah, yes, you are right of course. Unless it is a matter of health. I refuse to look on my diet as punishment - it is my necessary way of life --- and have no complaints when I can get such wonderful, quality, tasty and healthy meals on O! Please remember that for some of us this is not a question of vanity - but life and death. (Sorry for the drama, but you catch my drift!)

As my doc likes to note, there are no days off from diabetes.... or heart disease... or high blood pressure.... or whatever your conundrum might be.

I love living vicariously through folks who can eat whatever they darn well please. I am not jealous - I had my days. So I do not begrudge those who can eat up! And yes, I allow myself an indulgence or so on the trip also....

;-)

Glad you said this! A healthy diet is also a mandatory way of life for me, although the odd croissant can slip down my throat. I've lost two of the three pounds I put on from my recent cruise, now if I can manage another 10...

I can ignore. most of the desserts which I feel are not very good anyway, except for the teas at Horizon.

My weakness is the baguettes and croissants.

Never get the soups.

Never drink any thing but wine and water.

Grilled meat or seafood. No white vegetables.

I still gained 6 lbs last trip.

Advice (as if we could ever follow all our own advice !):

-

- Don't order room service.

Just curious - why not order room service? It necessarily limited what you can have --- you usually would not call and order seconds, I think. But maybe you are figuring that room service promotes sneaky cheating on your diet? Honestly wondering, no criticism intended.