Afternoon / High Tea

MadWoofter

Has anyone been to afternoon (or high) tea lately? What do you get? Is it just a cup of tea and scones, or is it more upmarket?

I'll be on the Dawn Princess out of Australia, so if anyone has any info about that ship specifically that would be great, but I'm guessing the options will be pretty similar across their fleet.

Afternoon Tea is held in one of the dining rooms from 3:30pm-4:30pm. In addition to scones with jam and cream, tea, there will be little cakes and cookies, and little sandwiches. The waiters will come around and you may select what you like.

Cheers.

Afternoon tea is like a whole meal. You get scones with cream, jam, little sandwiches, pastries, and cake. I have also had high tea bought to my cabin(a elite perk) and always order for 2 people when I am having 4 people with us. I just ask for extra cups. Oh yes you do get tea of course. When it is brought to your cabin, you get a whole selection of teas to choose from. Very nice way to feel pampered.

Some of the waiters who come around will be serving a black tea. I always request a pot of green tea. You can also order an herb tea or a specific type of black tea or oolong (I believe, as well). There are several to choose from.

Edited by geoherb

When I cruised with my teens 3 years ago, we never made it to Tea. I didn't think the boys would go for it anyway.

This summer I took them again, along with my son's best friend to celebrate my son's high school graduation. The boys made friends with several other young adults (18-20) and they "discovered" Tea. They ended up going every day that we weren't in port at that time. It probably helped that several in the group were pretty girls. ;)

With it being in the afternoon, but in a DR what's the attire?

There is no longer any daytime dress code for the MDR on Princess. On my last cruise at tea time we refused to be seated at a table with a couple guys in "wife beater" undershirts. Guess they were trying to fit in with all the ladies in two-sizes-too-small pool cover-ups that were at breakfast and lunch there as well.

...but having recently erred by taking an RCI cruise where their version of tea time consists of cold hard scones (with jelly but no cream) and the same tasteless generic tea bags from the Windjammer, I am now dying for a visit to Princess' afternoon tea no matter how slovenly the company.

Tea time isn't always in the MDR so check the patter for location/time. On our recent sailing on the Regal I recall at least 3 tea times and one was in the Horizon buffet. We went once and it was very good. Never went back because I felt I was eating too much. They came around many times asking you if you want more and it's hard to resist!

Is there any specific seating arrangement?

On my last cruise they placed everyone at long tables in the order you arrived. I ended up at a table for 6 with 4 rather unpleasant individuals. (different cruise line)

I much prefer afternoon tea on my own or just with 1 other who I came with. Is this done on Princess?

We were on CB in August of 2014 and Tea was offered every day in the Sanctuary. It was awesome to say the least. The food was great, sandwiches, deserts, tea, on and on....... Loved tea time. Hoping to go back to the CB Sanctuary in Dec and looking forward to tea time!!

Has anyone been to afternoon (or high) tea lately? What do you get? Is it just a cup of tea and scones, or is it more upmarket?

I'll be on the Dawn Princess out of Australia, so if anyone has any info about that ship specifically that would be great, but I'm guessing the options will be pretty similar across their fleet.

Did it once on a Caribbean cruise and was not impressed but I'm an American. Maybe out of Australia they will have a little more Panache. ;)

Don't be surprised if you mention High Tea to a Brit - specially a Scot - that they have a totally different idea of what is consists, it was often the only evening meal and was eaten round 6pm by working class people, and was considerably more substantial than Afternoon Tea - which is what Princess offer.