Formal Night ?

mamaofami

Yes, there are formal nights. :)

How many depends on the length of the cruise.

For men, generally a suit and tie or tux is good.

For ladies, cocktail dress, evening gown, or dressy top with dress pants or skirt are all good choices.

Enjoy your cruise!

Princess is not a regimented as,

Royal Viking Star 6/90 Bermuda

Veendam 11/29/03 WesternCaribbean

Statendam 6/20/04 Alaska

Statendam 6/27/04 Alaska

Zuiderdam 11/13/04 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 2/14/05 Panama Canal

Zuiderdam 11/12/05 Southern Caribbean

Noordam 2/7/07 EasternCaribbean

Noordam 2/6/08 Eastern Caribbean

Eurodam 8/29/08 NYC 3 day Inaugural Cruise

Maasdam 1/28/11 Southern Caribbean

Maasdam 6/11/11 N. Eng/Canada

Maasdam 1/13/12 Southern Caribbean

Veendam 6/17/12 Bermuda

Maasdam 4/22/ 13 Eastern Caribbean

Althought most do adhere to the suggested dress code, their enforcement on formal nights is much more lax than HAL.

Here's a link to the information on the Princess website under FAQs: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Lots of good information in the FAQs.

After you read the guidelines for formal, know that MANY more men wear suits or sportcoats with tie rather than a tux. Tuxes are a very small minority.

The same for women in long gowns. Majority of ladies wear short dresses (everything from "Sunday best" to cocktail) or fancy black pants with top. The "mother of the bride" and other long dresses are definitely a minority. Usually coupled with the few tuxes. ;)

If you have cruised Celebrity or HAL you will see similar on Princess.

I have a terrific Mother-of-the-Bride dress that I bought for my daughter's wedding. You bet I'm wearing it for formal night. I have another formal and two cocktail dresses that I bought for work related functions and two tea length dresses that I bought at consignment stores. This will be the third cruise that I will wear these same dresses. I highly doubt that I will meet anyone who will remember my outfits. I love dressing for dinner. It makes my hum-drum life seem more elegant and refined. But if you're all about flip flops and shorts in the buffet, good on you.

My experience on Princess ships has been long sleeve dress shirt and slacks are acceptable for men on formal nights. Before anyone starts flaming, my attire was encouraged by waitstaff and approved by the restaurant managers. No arguments or animosity.

Edited by swedish weave

Ever notice how great these waiters and all the crew look on Formal night in their formal clothes? :D

The mods have started a formal thread on the Celebrity boards. It has been effective in channeling all formal wear questions into one thread. No more multiple threads.

The mods did this with smoking threads on this board and it solved a lot of problems. Perhaps they could do the same with the formal threads.

So how long will this thread get before it's shut down? :) Yes, there are formal nights, but not on cruises shorter than a week.
Actually they usually have them on cruises that are five nights long or longer. The ones that are four nights long that I've been on have had "dress to impress" nights, where some people dress up.

Ever notice how great these waiters and all the crew look on Formal night in their formal clothes? :D

The mods have started a formal thread on the Celebrity boards. It has been effective in channeling all formal wear questions into one thread. No more multiple threads.

The mods did this with smoking threads on this board and it solved a lot of problems. Perhaps they could do the same with the formal threads.

Yyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss.....Moderator....please combine all of these ridiculous "Formal Night" threads.......plus it says at the Princess website what to wear.....OMG.....:eek:

Yyyyyeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss.....Moderator....please combine all of these ridiculous "Formal Night" threads.......plus it says at the Princess website what to wear.....OMG.....:eek:

This...dress codes...no threads on this topic ever been posted before!:D;)

Actually they usually have them on cruises that are five nights long or longer. The ones that are four nights long that I've been on have had "dress to impress" nights, where some people dress up.

On our recent "dress to impress" night consisted or 1/4 the dining room in shorts. ;)

Does anyone actually care how the help dresses up on formal night. :rolleyes:

The only reason the smoking threads disappeared a few years ago is that Princess eliminated most of the problems when they stopped the smoking in rooms & on balconies. Do the same thing with the silly dress code and they will disappear also.;)

Here's a link to the information on the Princess website under FAQs: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Lots of good information in the FAQs.

After opening your link (thanx :)), and finding "Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men",

I had use Google to find out what a dinner jacket was. :o

Edited by richstowe

On our recent "dress to impress" night consisted or 1/4 the dining room in shorts. ;)

Does anyone actually care how the help dresses up on formal night. :rolleyes:

The only reason the smoking threads disappeared a few years ago is that Princess eliminated most of the problems when they stopped the smoking in rooms & on balconies. Do the same thing with the silly dress code and they will disappear also.;)

Check the sticky at the top of the page. The mods control the smoking threads.:rolleyes:

As to your second question, yes, people do notice those that dress for formal night.:D

My experience on Princess ships has been long sleeve dress shirt and slacks are acceptable for men on formal nights. Before anyone starts flaming, my attire was encouraged by waitstaff and approved by the restaurant managers. No arguments or animosity.

I wear the same attire with khaki pants (i.e. dockers). On my first cruise, I was going to skip formal night since I did not bring even a sport coat. The waiters (TD back then) overheard me telling my table mates and encouraged me to come as I was dressed that night. First formal night I went to the buffet. Second formal night I listened to the waiters and my table mates and came to formal night. I have never looked back.

I just got off a 4 day cruise on the west coast. Yes, I saw shorts in the MDR at dinner every night and not just a few pax. The most amazing part of it though was that it did not impact my enjoyment of my dinner one bit.

No worries, Carol (people can get snickedly). I do recommend you check out the cruise answer place on the Princess website that Pam linked to above. It's the Princess version of FAQs and the dining info will give how many formal nights there are, based on length of cruise (for example our last three cruises which were two -weekers, had three formal nights).

My hubby will wear a suit (not a dark one, but more tweedish) with a festive tie and dress shirt. But there are those who wear tuxes and, depending on the head waiter, sometimes a man might skip the jacket and tie.

Women go the gamut too. I have a LBD but I may wear other cocktail length dresses. Some women will go the glitzy gown route, and some might go the nice pants suit way. If you can wear it to a nice wedding, you should be all right.

For smart casual, think a decent restaurant, but women can wear nice non-denim capris. You can also wear nice jeans (no holes) but I can't imagine bringing those on a Caribbean cruise -- too hot. I did wear a pair of black skinny jeans with a really nice top to dinner on our last cruise, and it worked.

Check the sticky at the top of the page. The mods control the smoking threads.:rolleyes:

As to your second question, yes, people do notice those that dress for formal night.:D

Sticky or no sticky the big debates ended when Princess changed their smoking regulations on Jan 15, 2012. The problems disappeared & so did the arguments.

For smart casual' date=' think a decent restaurant, but women can wear nice non-denim capris. You can also wear nice jeans (no holes) but I can't imagine bringing those on a Caribbean cruise -- too hot. I did wear a pair of black skinny jeans with a really nice top to dinner on our last cruise, and it worked.[/quote']

No one wears jeans off the ship but there's nothing that can compare to a broken in pair of old jeans in the dining room & show lounge for comfort.

Sticky or no sticky the big debates ended when Princess changed their smoking regulations on Jan 15, 2012. The problems disappeared & so did the arguments.

No one wears jeans off the ship but there's nothing that can compare to a broken in pair of old jeans in the dining room & show lounge for comfort.

Wrong !!! Many wear jeans off the ship. I do it all the time and feel very comfortable in them.